Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oscars 2016

Apparently, the "winners" are going to be all white this year, which has many people, especially most African-Americans upset. So, some people will boycott the Academy Awards. My question is: why are African-Americans upset?

I believe in self-empowerment, which means little to no dependency on others for success and happiness. I'm surprised that there are few AA script writers, directors, producers, and editors.

Why do we as a people, especially in an industry that likes to stereotype us and place us in subservient character roles, continually depend on them to verify our worth? We need to become independent in such a way that "they" seek us out for our quality actors and scripts. And we should not accept roles or scripts written to generalize us. The salary should be proper as well. We can do this....isn't this why President Obama was elected--YES WE CAN!?

We have the NAACP awards, but we need to go further and have our own studios which focuses on what we so desperately desire from the Academy Awards and the studios--acceptance and acknowledgement that we are just as good.

Unless, we are confident in ourselves, how will they accept us? And why should we care if they accept us or give us awards? Why should their awards be the ultimate goal?

We claim that we are a proud people, yet we "imitate" in almost every way the very people who keep us down. Then we expect favorable results from them. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.
    The results are "tokenism" one year, and nothing the next.

How is this favorable toward us?? When will we learn???

2. Thanks MommieDearest, LBellatrix thanked for this post
    Likes MommieDearest, CCmomof5 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Oscars 2016

^^

I am so OVER black folks begging white folks for acceptance, recognition and validation. Dammit, WE are the ORIGINAL PEOPLE. That's why they hate, and FEAR us so much and try to keep us and other people of color subjugated.

If Tyler Perry's chitlin'-circuit-turned-multi-millionaire azz can use his coins and influence to build HIS OWN studio and produce and distribute HIS OWN movies without waiting on the white men in Hollywood suits to green-light his ish, then why can't the rest of these Hollywood kneegrows with looooooong cash do the same? That's why the Koreans have the beauty supply industry on lock because they stick together and POOL THEIR RESOURCES!!!!! I can't even be mad at them for that.

The Smiths have a production company/studio. Oprah has a production company/studio. While they do great work, why can't they collectively say EFF Hollywood and focus on creating films that celebrate US and OURS? Spend more time giving up and coming Black talent a platform?

BET awards and NAACP awards are bought and paid for by white folks now, so EFF them too. Plus, they give any black person an award for mediocre ish anyway. Why can't we create our own PRESTIGIOUS awards programs where we recognize ONLY excellence among US and OURS?

Black people will continue to be downtrodden and at the bottom of the totem pole as long as we continue to beg people who hate us for scraps. Nobody respects a begging azz. NOBODY.
    ~Love the hair you have~

4. Thanks LBellatrix, Fossor thanked for this post
    Likes Bejewelle liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MommieDearest View Post
    ^^

BET awards and NAACP awards are bought and paid for by white folks now, so EFF them too. Plus, they give any black person an award for mediocre ish anyway. Why can't we create our own PRESTIGIOUS awards programs where we recognize ONLY excellence among US and OURS?
    I've been waiting for somebody else to say this for what seems like forever. When they give out their awards to every and anybody, it makes the award so....meh. I mean if Joe Black can get award as well as Cicely Tyson, what's the point?

As for the Oscars, boycotts and the like, I'm going to keep quiet for now.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

6. Thanks LBellatrix thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THANK YOU ALL for saying what I've been thinking...

Really what's been going through my mind is that part of Malcolm X's autobiography where he talks about "Negroes" begging from crumbs from the white man's table. And yes, on the one hand I understand the need and desire to "break through" but at what point do you bandage up your head and move on? Seriously, F*** these folks.

This week Jenny Lumet (Lena Horne's granddaughter) started a Twitter hashtag basically suggesting that BET devote the entire 24 hours of Oscar Day/Night to airing movies by and featuring people of color. As someone who remembers being introduced to Josephine Baker, Paul Robeson, and the movies of Oscar Micheaux through BET, I thought that was a great idea. Too bad it won't happen...and in truth I can't say I'm boycotting the Oscars when it's been a few years since I've watched them so...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MommieDearest View Post
    ^^

I am so OVER black folks begging white folks for acceptance, recognition and validation.

THANK YOU!

I'm SOOOOO TIRED of Black People literally BEGGING white people to accept them, validate, pat them on the head i mean WHY.
    white people DO NOT GIVE A SHIT about Black people. These are white people supporting themselves. They will NEVER GIVE A SHIT and NEVER ACCEPT US, so WHY should WE GIVE A EFF??

Like I don't understand why we are still begging for their little crumbs of validation?
    We should focus on ourselves.
    Its like as a whole, Black people, even celebs just coddle, pussyfoot and just do EVERYTHING to make White people comfortable while just never supporting our own . Like.. I don't understand, how you suppose to want "change" and expect others to do it for you? You have to care about your own??

One thing that bugs me is click bate, white people make a "trend" of bantu knots or afro and we just give them so much money by bringing attention to their shit. IGNORE THEM. They crave our attention and stroking their ego. Without it, watch them go crazy.
    Just ignore them and put our money and energy into US.

Sigh....

Its infuriating but quite saddening cause it really feels the majority of us are still stuck in this mentality.
    HHJ Start: 2013
    Type Healthy!
    CL: MBL??
    UL:Healthy! *whispertbl*

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoorah to all ya'll!!
    I always wondered if it would be possible for Spike, Tyler, the Smiths, Oprah, Diddy, Magic, Russell and all the AA long money folk and whomever else wants in to combine their resources and create a kick-**** for us/by us production company, actors training studio and have workshops, forums, etc...like why is that so difficult?? Oh yeah I forgot, Stacey and Raven would be picketing the joint talkin bout it's "racist to white folk"...
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

10. Thanks Miss T thanked for this post