Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Detangling inside shower vs outside shower?

I've been meaning to start detangling outside of the shower in order to save water/not turn into a prune. I have low porosity hair that takes forever to get wet and takes around an hour to detangle with conditioner. What tips do you have for detangling your hair and how long does it normally take you? 20-30 minutes would be a dream lol.

I use Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner, it has decent slip but it hasn't been feeling as good as it used to. I know the formula has changed but I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Any product suggestions would also be nice.

Thanks

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Detangling inside shower vs outside shower?

I'm like you: If I'm paying for the water I don't want to use more than necessary. I will run my fingers through my hair under the shower stream but that's only after I've done the real-deal detangling before I get into the shower.

I recently bought 6 bottles of VO5 Free Me Freesia conditioner online (and paid a grip for them; too bad they're not on the ground where I live) because it's the one VO5 conditioner that truly works for me in terms of detangling. Normally I will spritz my hair damp with water or aloe vera juice, apply a generous amount of conditioner, let it sit under a plastic cap for about 30 minutes, then I'll work in sections to detangle, using first my fingers, then a wide-toothed comb, and occasionally I'll finish off with my modified Denman brush.

Not counting the soaking time, I'd say it takes me about 20 minutes tops. I have 4b/4c coils that are cut in a tapered 'fro. Prior to the cut my hair was APL stretched; I kept a lot of the length on top because my shrinkage is insane up there (80%+).
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for replying, I will definitely try the soaking method. I know I used to do it before and I can't understand why I ever stopped.

Can you get aussie moist conditioner in your area? It is my new favorite conditioner at the moment, plenty of slip which defiantly helped me reduce my detangling time.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used Aussie Moist in the past with mixed results. If I'm going to use a conditioner with cones I rely on my ace boon Herbal Essences Hello Hydration.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think water conservation is a great enough reason to start detangling outside of the shower, I need to start that!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, that shower detangling became a thing with YT videos-I think Kimmay Tube was doing that at one point? I tried once. Not only was my water bill high, I couldn't get through a detangle/rinse without loosing hot water. I quickly went back to my kitchen sink.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm considering going back to detangling in the kitchen sink, but how to do it effectively when my hair is apl to mid back length? I need help.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OHR View Post
    I'm considering going back to detangling in the kitchen sink, but how to do it effectively when my hair is apl to mid back length? I need help.
    You'll need an extra-deep sink or a telescoping/hose-type faucet...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair breaks easily so outside the shower when my hair is damp saves me more hair than inside the shower when my hair is soaking wet.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I had lose hair I detangled in the shower or bath, using a shower hose, but I turned the water off while detangling, as in:

Detangle dry with wide tooth comb before shower.
    Wet hair with head back and all the hair going back and down. (water off)
    Shampoo keeping the hair in the same direction as much as possible = rinse keeping the hair in the same direction (water off) two shampoos
    Loads of conditioner keeping the hair in the same direction and detangle with wide toothed comb
    Rinse out conditioner finger combing to take the hair in a downward direction, with a centre part (Water off)
    Put into two canes rows or 4 big plaits/braids while still dripping wet.

Keeping the hair in the same direction & the weight of the water helped to stop the ends springing back up to much so it was easier to detangle. Then just carry on with the rest of my shower while the braids dripped.

The hair would then be easy to comb thorugh in the ready made sections, then oiled and replaited while still wet. Once I worked out this method, no more hour long detangling and sore scalp after washing. I could even step out to do whatever I had to do with my two soaking wet canerows

I did tend to comb through and redue the canerows 3 or 4 time through the day to help them dry out, but the hair would be stretched so no real tangling and it would be a 5 minute job

DeBe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast