Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transitioning Struggles + Wig Struggles

First off, hello everyone! Secondly, I must admit that I am in desperate need of some guidance because I have no clue what in the world I'm doing. I grew up for the most part around Caucasian women in the suburbs with not a natural in sight and a mother who couldn't survive 2 weeks without a perm thus I never knew anything about my hair. It was to the point where I was bleaching, dyeing, flat ironing, and chopping away at my hair with cheap scissors all through high school not knowing I was killing it. At first I tried letting my hair repair itself while still getting perms, didn't work at all. So for the past year and a half I've been transitioning.

During that time I've relied mostly on Youtube tutorials to help me out but while my hair is healthier than it was these conditioner regiments and creams I've spent hundreds of dollars on never work for me despite working for other women. It feels like I'm at a standstill with my hair. I've also worn wigs on and off but for some reason since I've begun wearing wigs, human/synthetic/mix, my once clear skin has begun breaking out like crazy. So it's safe to say I'm one lost gal.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transitioning Struggles + Wig Struggles

Good evening and congratulations on deciding to go Napptural! You are not alone.
    It sounds like you have considerable damage to your hair. I suggest a Big Chop, going very short and even, without wearing wigs.
    That way, you get to see your natural hair type as it grows out, and get used to dealing with it at its shortest.
    As it grows out, you will have already put in practice, so you are much less likely to feel challenged/overwhelmed.
    Many years ago, I experienced eczema from synthetic Nubian Twists. So I think going very short is easiest in the long run.
    It is easy to get busy purchasing products you hear about word of mouth or see on YouTube. But you do not have to spend a lot of money.
    Surprising what can be done starting with clean damp hair after an acidic rinse like lemon/lime juice or diluted vinegar, followed by a tiny bit of glycerine and a bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil worked through the hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transitioning Struggles + Wig Struggles

While YouTube is a great source for hair care ideas you can not rely on everything you see there. First you will have to develop patience and a willingness to learn your hair. I recommend that you get a good trim and go from there. Find a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. When my hair was loose I found that Ausie Moist conditioner worked well for me so I used the shampoo as well. Do not do too much. Two strand twists are a great low maintenance style. If you have considerable length that is still straight, flexi rod it. After you remove the rods, pin your hair up or put on a head band (not too tight though). Your hair will be fuzzy sometimes. Just go with the flow and give your hair and scalp the time needed to recover. Good luck to you.

4. Likes deecoily liked this post