Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quite Frustrated With Disjointed Natural Hair Communications Online Today

Quote Originally Posted by lbellatrix View Post
    too funny...i visited fotki today for the first time in years just to see if i could find one of my hair (routine) inspirations and found out they charge now. Actually it said something about "this person has not paid and so her account has been suspended"...ouch...

I can only do one social media platform at a time and 95 percent of the time it's fb. I almost never discuss hair there. I have a pinterest account but i only use it when i think of it -- though it was somewhat helpful when i was looking for pics of the haircut i ended up getting. I also have a linkedin account that i should use more but don't...and i'm guessing unless you're a stylist you aren't going there for hair discussions...

the only hair blog i spend any real time on is black girl long hair (bglh) and in the last few months they've departed from hair articles and gone into celebrity and popular culture, neither of which i'm super interested in.

I do still visit youtube fairly regularly, mainly to get tips if i'm trying to do something different (like today; i put in flat twists for a twistout). I use it for more than hair though...

When it comes to the kinds of hair conversations you're describing...honestly, i have no idea where those are happening or if they're happening. Part of me believes that this was going to happen eventually...that discussions and descriptions of natural hair and its care would eventually become common enough to reach a saturation point. Part of me is glad in a way because i've always wanted us as black women to accept our hair in all its versatility.

Np is the only hair forum i belong to on which i've spent significant amounts of keyboard work. If i do a cursory search i know there are other hair forums that are still around but i don't know if they too are experiencing decreased traffic.
    i haven't seen you in a minute, girl!!!!

2. Likes LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quite Frustrated With Disjointed Natural Hair Communications Online Today

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    We're all noticing the same thing. I was an active member of another forum that was on a completely different set of topics mostly about life and relationships, and it's pretty much the same.

I'm glad NP is still around, and I still pay for the privilege of being "pink". However, with the upsurge of social sites, things have changed. In a way, I don't mind. Now I'm engaging online more with acquaintances, friends, and family because this stuff is mainstream now.

Regarding info on natural hair, I come back here and usually find what I need here. Honestly? I'm not really doing anything new. I just co-wash, twist and keep those in for as long as possible, wear a twist out, and repeat. I popped back in today because, after two to three years of being back in the job market, I've been laid off and have the time to do an Aphogee treatment. I stopped in to reread that epic Aphogee thread to refresh my memory on how to do it.

I know that sites like CurlyNikki have FB pages. Those are very much part of this broadcast culture that you mention. Not the same for sure. But it's nice to see the updates, and sometimes I even learn something. However, what gets clicks are the more pop culture-focused stuff.

FB groups are probably the closest things I see regarding community discussions. You can make them completely open (usually a bad idea if you want to have a focused community), closed (people can find it, but they have to be approved or invited to join), and secret (which means no one sees it and people have to be invited by a friend.) You have to cultivate the community and hope you find them and they find you. One big issue though is, for better or for worse, the natural hair discussion is much more diluted. I think a good idea is a FB group and then you use Pinterest or Instagram for pictures and cross-link. The natural hair discussion is inherently visual. You can pin documents in a FB group, and people can run searches.

I haven't seen you in a minute either!

4. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Likes Scribetastic, deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstylo View Post
    Wow Hadasah! You've been here for over a decade! I never knew this community existed for so long. I am a very new member on here actually!
    Welcome! I've just returned after a long time away. Even though my join date says 2011, I've been here since 2002-03... when NP first started. We changed to a different online platform and had to re-register, which is why the oldest dates probably show up as 2011. But we're the OGs of online hair communities! lol

6. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Likes Scribetastic liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I haven't seen you in a minute either!

Oh, you're too cute. I'm still around, but, like most everyone else, I'm on social sites a lot now.

Hope all is going well with you!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man....it's been a minute since I've been here, I used to swing by each year around my Napaversary May 2003. You guys have brought back so many memories, my current knowledge of natural hair would not be where it is if it wasn't for Nappturality. I started with a fade that grew into a fro, locs, fro, locs, fro, and now I'm two years into this set of locs. I think of everyone when I'm in the hair care isles of stores, especially when I see transitioning kits. Say what now? As you all mentioned social media has made info easier to obtain. I can go to YT and watch videos on twist-outs, locs, etc... Back in the day all I had was NP and Fotki!

Wow, just remembering the range of personalities on here....man. I'm going to walk down memory lane, won't you join me? I think it goes without saying 'Mama Dee'

MedusaNegrita
    CatSuga
    NappturalyMe-This was my first introduction to the NP Detectives! They got to the bottom of her story and the other lady who was scamming with t-shirts.
    Jams
    Vinny
    Melanizm
    Thighslikewhat
    HoneyChild
    NappyRed
    TeekyDawg
    Jazzitones
    SweetAfrica
    Sunchild
    PookieLou
    RoseBurnt
    Karibana
    KB
    Law
    Narcissaqtpie
    Strawberry
    FeePee
    Ravenholst
    Sehkmet
    Sugar
    AFashionSlave
    Ini

Oh and the guys that used to be here, Aje and I think there was more. Also, that cat who would stalk the site and then talk mess about us in his blog, he had those white dogs.

ETA: It would be so cool to have a 'class reunion' to see how everyone is doing.
    Last edited by Hennessy; 10-08-2016 at 12:06 AM.

9. Likes KnottyAuthor, Msretta liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I check in about once per year, but my hair routine is pretty unchanged, I'm super busy, and I didn't agree with some of the "philosophies" on NP. It's a shame that it isn't popular anymore because it's P.O.V. is still needed.

11. Thanks Msretta thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor, Msretta liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, too, miss the discussions. Most of my social media time is spent on facebook, and I have IG and Twitter as well, but my interactions on those sites rarely focus on hair. I will probably always check in from time to time, though, and I plan to stay financial, even when I'm not on here much. So many valuable threads to sift through, even when there are no recent discussions to join. For a while I couldn't log in (something odd with Chrome), but I just realized that I can get on just fine with Firefox, so that's what I'll do.

I also miss the weight loss threads on here....

13. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@CC I have the same issues with logging in. Sometimes the site seems to go down. I just prefer to keep my hair stuff separate from my FB stuff-bc so many in my real life feed do NOT get the hair thing, lol. Oh well, just like politics, we are back where we were pre 2003-no where to congregate. I try to engage on YT-just not feelin' it. There's a different consciousness there that I can quite connect with.

15. Likes CCmomof5 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be real with you all.

When I launched this place it was done in order to be a place where natural hair people could gather and learn from each other. I intended it to be a library, where the truth could be found. I knew in my heart that there would be opportunists out there, people who would use Nappturality to enrich themselves because that is what humans do.

As the years went by, I still wanted to maintain what the original purpose was. I had pressure to make Nappturality-brand hair products, to become more commercialized and I did consider it. But in the end I thought that would change the nature of the site from one of knowledge to one of pushing products and becoming biased. So I resisted.

I never received a great deal of financial support, though there had always been a core of wonderfully, generous people who supported the website financially which was a great help to me get through. But like a lot of Black ventures, I never received any significant financial support or service support, so I was unable to expand in the ways I wanted to expand. I had to do a lot of the work myself and sometimes I got things wrong - unable to pay the $thousands I needed for professional services I did what I could do the best I could do.

Other websites launched off Nappturality.com. Hair products and businesses sprung up off Nappturality and people formed their own communities around their businesses. No one really gave back anything to Nappturality. The focus left natural hair and refocused on celebrities, curl definition and consumerism - areas I was not and am still not interested in. Am I salty? No, it is human nature to get what you can get to make it in this world and I didn't start this place to become a millionaire product guru or a curly hair YT blogger.

Sure, I went through a ***** it* phase, because I'm human. But that didn't last long and I kept going anyway.

YouTube came, then Facebook came and people went there in droves to those powerhouses of white money and influence. Eventually I had to create a page there as well just to keep up. From that point, the movement fractured.

The only reason I continue to pay the bills each month for this massive natural hair library without a benefactor is because I know there is still a need for knowledge out there and people still visit in their hundreds to find information. So for me it is worthwhile to be here even if for others, who place more value on popularity than actual truthful knowledge about our hair and our lives, it isn't. I am still fighting the same battles I fought in the beginning. People are still in the matrix. The only difference is that now it is a bigger matrix. People are being conned into miracle hair products still looking for that *good hair* they see on TV and I won't play into that slave mentality. I see all these "natural hair" products now being owned by white companies, again, taking black folks money for crap products full of chemicals.

And here we are.

I can't compete with white money and power. I can't compete with Zuckerberg or Instagram or Twitter. I am going to continue to try and build the site and change and if people don't come, well that's fine. I will know that I am doing my best to help Black women and that's it. The OGs are older, wiser, have moved on with lives. Young naturals are more interested in whose natural hair looks the most like Beyonce's weave than why they are afraid of their hair texture. So there it is and here I am.
    I'm older, wiser but I am not going to take Nappturality down, even if no one visits again. Because here is where it all started.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, Dee. For keeping it open.
    As I go through different stages of my natural life, I'm always back at Napptural to see what is going on and see if I can glean from this library. I've been natural for over 6 years now, and I am hoping to go for locs- and naturally i'm here first.

THANK YOU- and I wish there was still an active community here!

18. Thanks deecoily thanked for this post
    Likes Msretta liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast