Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: State of Blackness in 2016...

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    I. Maybe it is just a reflection of Black society in general and part of evolution of this world.
    And that's exactly what it is!! Amazingly stated
    2 Awesome 2be forgotten Mia Fite/ etifaim luv u 4life

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charter schools... I've worked for one and it was one of the worst experiences in my career. I can't say they're all bad, but I CAN say that they are not as regulated as public schools. So public schools are expected to follow guidelines to the T and charter schools don't have to. They take money out of public school and IMO and take advantage of the fact that many people are dissatisfied with public schools knowing doggone well they don't have to do what pubic schools do or accept students that public schools have to accept.

Charter schools are going to pop up everywhere now that the orange man is in office, and educational policy isn't going to change for the better. Rich government officials don't send their kids to public school, so they have no vested interested in making them better. Besides, if kids are educated well they can reason about how the government works and try to overthrow it. We need to be more vigilant with our kids and their education because it is NOT going to get any better in the next four years unless we look out for our own...
    God Bless!

3. Likes Mojito Chica liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ This is so true. The kids and teachers are going to suffer greatly. The people who will be in charge have no clue and don't care because the public schools don't touch them or their families. Furthermore, where are all of these qualified educators going to come from to work in the charter schools? The last practicum student I had last school year didn't even complete all of his hours! This is going to be a mess.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Lockolatte and @LilShortRib

It's a good chance that charter schools will become the top choice and we will witness an even more defunded public school system within the next 4 years.
    With Trump adding Betsy Devos as Education Secretary, who has certainly had an (in most people's view) evil agenda within the state of Michigan - things ain't gonna get much better from the top down.

6. Thanks Lockolatte thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm feeling compelled to connect with other black people in my state, to become a part of a larger community. At present I live in an outer suburb and keep mainly to myself. I work full time and have a side hustle as a part time musician. I've been looking at black churches as a means to keep centered and find community but I'm not really feeling wholly committed to that as THE answer. I'm thinking there must be scores of black people out there who, like me, are feeling a compulsion towards reconnecting but unsure of a way to go about it. I feel like there is fertile ground there.
    Expecting the world to treat you kindly because you are a good person is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

8. Thanks Lockolatte thanked for this post
    Likes LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Betsy DeVos is the devil to public education. It is so frustrating to know that many of my fellow educators voted for Trump! If you claim to care about our nation's children, Trump and his agenda should have been out of the question.

I work in an area were there are few blacks. I am the black person that they know. It is horrible to think that people are so detached from reality and blinded by what they see in the media. Or the opposite is the case, where you have those who don't even watch the news. There is no way that some of these people could or even feel the need to place themselves in the shoes of a black person. They have no point of reference and have no interest in obtaining one. We have no choice because we live it daily. There have been so many times when I watch the look of surprise and horror? dismay? cross people's faces when they realize that I actually work there and teach their children, lol! It just happened yesterday. I do not discuss this with my coworkers, because they cannot relate, and by the looks on their faces when I have mentioned it, they think I'm just being sensitive or paranoid.

My post is rambling, however I am glad that we are coming back together as a community here on NP. These are crazy times and we need to support each other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12