Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need help correcting this haircut

Happy New Year, NP fam!

I've been wearing a tapered 'fro since summer 2015. My top was 8" at its longest but I cut it down to about 6" a couple of months ago. The rest of my hair was blended down to maybe an inch at its longest.

For the last 6 months or so I had been going to Great Clips, mainly to trim down the sides and back and clean up my nape. The women there were really good at leaving the rest of it alone...until last month, when I let a girl who looked like she was just out of beauty school cut my hair. She ended up cutting out my blend and now, about 6 weeks later, my haircut looks like a grown-out undercut. At the demarcation point -- which is way up by my temples, far higher than I'd like -- my hair length jumps from 1.5 inches to 6 inches.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix this without completely cutting my top off and starting from scratch. I know I need to see a professional but I need to explain to him/her what I want. Part of me thinks I should just go with the undercut but I don't want it to look too masculine, KWIM? Part of me wants my blend back but I'm wondering if I need to grow the sides and back out another inch or two first. If I do that, should I keep my top (which I cut myself) at 6 inches?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

2. Thanks GiiGii thanked for this post
    Likes GiiGii liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need help correcting this haircut

Do you have any before and after pics? Pics of what you want your hair to look like now?

i think rather than explaining, a picture may be the best way to communicate what you want to a stylist.

I also think it would help members here assist.
    GiiGii

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GiiGii, I know you're right about the pics...unfortunately I quit posting pics of my hair years ago...

I've spent some time looking at other folks' pics on Pinterest though and I have a fairly good idea of what I want. However, if I go with the taper, it's likely I'll lose a good bit of my top. Since that hair shrinks to my scalp anyway, even at its current length, and since I can't seem to let go of WNGs, I'm resigning myself to being back in TWA-land.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like you could just go to the barbershop and have them fade the undercut into the top hair, then every month you can let them shape it up a tiny bit as it grows back out. It could go from the Cosby show hairdo to something a bit longer on the sides and back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-31.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	11089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_a5a.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	11090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9599.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	11091  

6. Likes Mojito Chica liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockolatte View Post
    It seems like you could just go to the barbershop and have them fade the undercut into the top hair, then every month you can let them shape it up a tiny bit as it grows back out. It could go from the Cosby show hairdo to something a bit longer on the sides and back
    Unfortunately, and as I predicted, because the top was SO much longer than the sides and back, the stylist had to blow-dry it (I was like, whatever ) and chop most of it down in order to get it to blend. So I now have the same tapered 'fro I first got in 2010, except the top is maybe 3 inches instead of 4.

Want to hear something funny? I spent the weekend thinking "it's too short" (when I washed it and let it coil up it did what it always does, which is shrink), "my face is too fat," etc.

And then Monday morning I told myself "WEAR IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT," put on my big earrings, and went to work as usual. And then this morning I co-washed it, put in some leave-in (SM Strengthen Grow and Repair, which was on sale at Sally's), and a little gel (Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic), and now I'm sitting here with my little hoops like:
    Last edited by LBellatrix; 01-12-2017 at 12:23 PM.

8. Likes Lockolatte liked this post