Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New Locs to be installed in a few days, need advice

Hi all,

I am having my locs installed on the 27th of Jan.

I have had a sisterloc consultation and felt that, the size of locs I wanted were smaller than their small size. I scowered the internet, bought the knotty truth book and in the end, I decided to start with micro-braids.

I need to make a point that I initially put my hair in braids for 4 weeks for the 1st time in 15 years. I selected a person who understands natural hair and I looked after my hair super carefully in the braids but I still had breakage. I was super gentle with the take down, which seemed successful but once I washes the hair lots of it came in 'shed'. That has meant I now have thin ends and thick roots. This is a natural occurrence, and it is always like that but now it is heightened. I have fine, thin strands and overall thickness is nonexistent. My hair mats at the roots.

So in the consultation I felt my thinner ends and thicker base might mean the loctician will make bigger locs than I desire. There was a lot concern about slippage but my test loc has held up against swimming, shampooing, and whatever else I have thrown at it for the last 3 weeks. Also the loctician said she out it in loosely so she would be able to take it out 3 weeks later. I personally I am tender headed as I am the one who does my hair and in the past 15 years, I have done by others less than 10 times. The 'loose' loc was too tight for me, I felt it 'relax' two weeks after it was installed.

Due to my concern about getting micro-sized locs, I thought braidlocs were a good option. I will have it done as I want straight and equal parts. I will also have then maintained for a couple of years, I do not intend to do anything myself other than washing etc. I am studying and working and have a family.

The decision to loc has come about because I already maintain waist length natural hair, I am too tired to deal with my own. I am happy to wash, deep condition etc, it's the braiding I can't deal with. All I enjoy for the past two years has been twists, hence my decision to loc and just have a permanent do that pleases me.

RETIGHTENING - ADVISE APRECIATED.
    The lady doing my braids understands natural hair, I feel that despite her lack of experience with locs, she would be able to do what I wanted with instructions. For re-tightening, I am considering purchasing the easy loc tool - http://www.easylochairtool.com/ it seems easy and precise and I want to avoid breakage. Or the loc key - http://www.loc-key.co.uk/ I am afraid of the tapestry needle and matting roots. This lady is a 2 hour drive from my house and will cheaper. She will do exactly what I ask. (She is a good friend)

The sisterloc loctitian will have more experience interlocking hair and is only a 50 minute drive. However I don't know how she will feel about maintaining them without the sisterloc tool. I also don't know how it will go with asking the locs not to be tightened so much(We are good friends I can ask)

OTHER INFORMATION THAT MIGHT BE REVELANT:
    For both hair dressers/loctitians I have established friendships with both - closer to the sister loctitician.

This is my second set of locs. 17 years ago, I had a set that was traditional medium size. I know from that experience that I will be happier with microlocs. The length of locing process shouldn't bother me as much this time, as I feel I know what I am in for. The braid pattern lasting a couple of year or more doesn't bother me, the longer it lasts the better. I think they are cute. I like fluffiness.

INSPIRATION:

(although I have no interest in dying my hair)
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=br...DrtGYx1AM3M%3A
    (My hair is not thick enough to create this kind of volume)

PRODUCT PLAN:
    Aubrey organics swimming shampoo (I swim once a week)
    Aubrey organics green tea shampoo (I may add a drop two of tea tree E.O to avoid head lice. I teach little kids, my daughter has come home with lice twice)
    Olive oil (for dry scal with E.O of clary sage, basil, cinammon, xylang xylang, Jasmine, carrot seed) for scalp, as needed)
    I am regular hair washer. Ionic blow drier on cool only will be used frequently.
    ACV rince - every 5 months.
    Hot oil treatment - every 3 months.
    Already have satin pillow cases and dry my hair with a T-shirt and all that good stuff.

THINGS I WILL MISS:
    Monthly clay treatments with rhasoul clay and E.Os can I still do this once 3-4 months instead of the hot oil treatments?

I greatly appreciate all help. Sorry I wrote an essay, I wanted to put all my plans down before I do then and make any mistakes.
    [b][color=#FF6666]Today is the tomorrow you were worrying about yesterday.

A person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

A white washed crow soon shows black again. [/color][/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Locs to be installed in a few days, need advice

I think you should stick with the sisterlocks person at least to get you started. You might even learn how to retighten them yourself just in case you cannot make it to an appointment one day. I also highly recommend that you NOT use clay on your locs because it might be hard to get out. Whoever you decide to use, you should tell them not to do them too tightly.

Braidlocks are an excellent option and it's how my locs were started. My braid pattern did stay for a long time and I ended up unbraiding the last couple of inches after a few years of waiting. With the braidlocks, my roots did not mesh like they did when I attempted to lock with 2 stranded twists. Below I will post a couple of shots of my locks so you can see how they formed along the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7310511-vi.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	11103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2160096-vi.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	11104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 1-8-17 at 4.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	11105  

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Locs to be installed in a few days, need advice

Thank you Lockolatte, that really helped.The pictures were really helpful as well.
    [b][color=#FF6666]Today is the tomorrow you were worrying about yesterday.

A person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

A white washed crow soon shows black again. [/color][/b]

4. Thanks Lockolatte thanked for this post