Likes Likes:  3
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do Black Entertainers have a responsibility to their fans on where they perform

Lately, various black entertainers have received backlash for corroborating in some way with President Trump. First, it was Steve Harvey, then Jennifer Holiday and now the latest backlash on Chrissette Michelle (msp?). I know that there are many Black republicans and some who voted for Trump. However, it 'seems' that the majority of black folks did not. How do you personally feel when it comes to Black entertainers performing for such a controversial President who comes off as a racist to many (myself included). I know we live in a democracy and that he IS the President whether we accept it or not. I have my own opinion about this situation, but I was curious as to how you all felt.
    Never Underestimate ANYONE

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do Black Entertainers have a responsibility to their fans on where they perform

Ms. Michelle can perform wherever and for whomever she chooses, but I've removed the one song I had of hers from my playlists. I've not contributed much money or care to her career, and now it will stay that way.

I feel the same for any artist no matter their color on supporting this current administration. I've no respect for any of them.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

3. Thanks Serbbral thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do Black Entertainers have a responsibility to their fans on where they perform

It's called personal choice.

They can choose to perform for whoever they want. They can choose to perform WHATever they want, no matter how demeaning, degrading, or just plain stupid it is.

I can choose to support them, or not.

Maybe it's my age, but I'm not one of these folks who looks to celebrities for any kind of moral guidance. This isn't to say I don't appreciate those (Jesse Williams, Harry Belafonte) who take stands on things I agree with. I just don't expect them to. Nor should they expect me to support them, regardless of their art or beliefs, just because they're black.

I'm well aware that once upon a time we were expected to stand behind all black performers, particularly black men, regardless of what they said or did, because they were black and the white power structure was more openly hostile to black people. However, just because they (white power structure) see us as a monolith doesn't mean we are one. There have always been, and there will always be, black folks who go over to the "other side." I prefer to keep my focus on those who support me and support those I love.
    It's 2020...do you know where you're going to?

5. Thanks Serbbral thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a general sense, entertainers don't have a responsibility to their fans on where they perform. Entertainers gain support from the artistry, and didn't sign on for anything else. Supporters shouldn't withdraw support or dictate an artist's future based on personal view.

Backlash comes along with the territory if an entertainer can not separate personal life from business. This is not the case. It's about work, opportunity and exposure. I'm sure Chrissette will lose fans by her decision "to work and sing", but true supporters will continue to support her music.

IMO, I wouldn't focus on the thoughts of my supporters. It would be a battle within myself: integrity or pangs. When a family is involved and I don't have the means, it's a no brainer. I would do some serious prayer though.

7. Thanks Serbbral thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that an entertainer has the right to perform or provide services wherever they see fit. With that being said, not all the time, but a lot of times entertainers (especially those who are A list) do chose where they want to perform based on their political views and not money. Many these days will turn down an event based on political and social views. I mean, various entertainers as of late, have gotten upset if a candidate played their songs during their campaign and they have asked the political figure not to play their songs because they did not want people, their fans, to think that they were 'with them politically.' I think that is where the problem lies when it comes to their fan-base. Entertainers do have a right to their own political views. However, I would be lying if I said that sometimes when decisions are made to 'support' certain figures at their events does not take me by surprise or make me question where this entertainer is coming from, but I have never taken this particular situation very personally when it comes to entertainers.
    Last edited by Serbbral; 01-26-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    Never Underestimate ANYONE

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my thing, they "say" they're doing it to be heard or to represent for our community. What else does this administration have to do besides writing it on all these "hopeful" black folks forehead that THEY DON'T CARE?? What they do care about is that photo op to keep the facade up. I'm just embarrassed for how foolish they look, really thinking these white folks (omarosa and Ben included) care. Like they *really* think change will happen as a result.

No matter what any black person says to this administration about how to work with the black community, they will not do a single thing about it. Talking with this administration about black issues is a waste of time. As much as I would love to have fatter pockets, no amount of money is worth having to be a token black supporter for these folks. The damage will not only affect me, but generations to come. That makes it not worth it. The money will run out while the dignity is gone.

You don't even have to be a celebrity, ANY black person / minority supporting this administration is doing nothing but slowing down the progress that we need to get rid of systematic oppression.

10. Likes BasementBeat, afroingles, Serbbral liked this post