Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trying to get my hair back

I straightened my hair a couple times last year and ended up getting a little bit of heat damage. Normally I would just cut my hair off but I'm trying to grow it out so decided to nurse my hair back instead. I did extensive research on how others repaired their heat damaged hair and most of these remedies included protein treatments. Now I've known from the past that my hair is not a fan of extra protein but after reading so much about it and most saying that there's no such thing as protein sensitivity I decided to give it another shot. I bought the Jamaican Black Castor Oil line from Shea Moisture and washed my hair weekly along with deep conditioning. I also did the Aphogee quick treatment. I used the Shea Moisture products for about 4 months before I noticed that my hair was getting worst. It was shedding like crazy, had thinned out, and it was always dry and stiff also my curl pattern had changed. I soon realized that it had to be the products I was using and stopped using them immediately but now I don't know what to use. So I'm asking you ladies for advice on how to nurse my hair back to health? I'm really at loss trying to figure out what products to use that won't cost me an arm and a leg. HELP!
    JENNIFER L.
    My pics

2. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trying to get my hair back

Hi, the truth is there are no products that can restore the hair that has been damaged. The cuticle(protective outer covering) of your hair has been broken and the bonds that 'held' the curl in place inside your cortex (core of hair) have been broken/damaged. If protein is not 'friendly' to your hair, I get it, same here. Implement some good hydration processes. Then, the cold, hard truth is you must cut away the dead, damaged hair. It's the same as permed hair now. The chemical state of this hair has been altered, leading to damage, there's no coming back. However you can save the healthy new growth.

Cutting away the damage now will save your healthy new growth from damage. Those split ends do travel. You'll want to part ways with the damaged part of the hair asap, to prevent further damage, delaying your progress to restore your hair.

It may not be easy, but it's necessary. Let us know how things are coming along?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've definitely came to that realization so I shaved the back of my hair to be done with it. Now I have to get the rest my hair back to normal from all the protein. I'm trying a modified version of the curly girl method with the hopes that more moisture in my regimen will help.
    JENNIFER L.
    My pics

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I flat ironed my hair and damaged it. I just kept it in flat twists constantly for months, moisturizer it daily and let it grow out, then I trimmed the damaged edges as my hair grew out.