Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bad Hair Decade

I've been natural for almost a decade now. Time flies and I am pleased that my hair is thicker and healthier, but I am having problems with ends getting tangled and I'm constantly having to yank knots out, as a result my hair is not as long as it should be. Next, I haven't found a nice go to style that works for me. I try to do YouTube, but my hair always looks stupid and unprofessional when I try to imitate their styles.i can't afford to go to stylist, but once a month, I'm sick of this. Help please.
    1. How can I care for the ends of my hair, stop them tangling and tearing them out?

2. Please help me find an easy, cute, fast hairstyle that I can do. ( besides twists and Afro puff or braids). I am looking for something I can do once a week, quickly and just maintain it throughout week.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bad Hair Decade

Speaking from the perspective of someone with 4b/4c hair who's been natural for over two decades, I believe the only hairstyle that meets both of your criteria (easy, cute, fast, with minimal ends drama if you know what you're doing, and that's not twists or braids or a puff) is a wash-and-go TWA.

If length is your desire, I'd suggest locs...but the healthiest ones take time to form and there are stages that you might deem less than ideal.

Without knowing much about your hair type and regimen, I'm going to suggest the following:

- If your hair is long enough, you may want to adopt a philosophy that was originally coined here on NP called Never Loose And Wet At The Same Time. It means exactly what it says:

---Wash and condition your hair in twists or braids.
    ---When combing, detangling, or applying your post-shampoo products (leave-in, styler, oil, etc.) do it one twist or braid at a time and when you're done, twist or braid that section back up.
    ---Let your hair dry in the twists or braids. Once it's dry, you can take the twists or braids down and style it however you want.

The primary purpose of this is to make the care of thicker Afro-textured hair easier but also to minimize the tangling and knotting that often comes with growing out this hair type. Only thing is I find you need to have enough length to be able to create manageable large sections (I'd say 12 or less) otherwise it can become too time-consuming IMO.

- When I'm wet-styling (WNG), I rarely comb my hair. When I do, I make sure I have it loaded up with a good slippery conditioner (I add aloe vera juice to mine) and oil. Also, there's a reason why everybody and their mama will tell you to start combing from the ends up: The idea is to minimize the knotting that inevitably comes with having tightly-coiled hair of any measurable length. Truth be told, you're always going to have some knots...but you can handle them better through careful handling and choices of styles.

- I've kept my hair short for nearly two years now but I'm considering growing it out again. This time around, though, I know that if I want length, I'm going to have to keep it stretched and my ends hidden or, if not hidden, at least well-moisturized, well-oiled, and rarely touched. My hair shrinks over 80% in parts of my head and the longer it gets the more problematic this becomes. Counteracting the effects of shrinkage on longer Afro-textured hair is another reason why the Never Loose And Wet At The Same Time philosophy was invented.

If you can provide more information about your hair type and regimen, I or others may be able to offer more suggestions.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

3. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for advice. I guess I have 4b hair, my ends just snag like crazy and they got knotted and I end up losing my ends and it stunts my hair growth it's affecting my hair self esteem. The advice about washing in twists is appreciated

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mynaturalbee View Post
    Thank you for advice. I guess I have 4b hair, my ends just snag like crazy and they got knotted and I end up losing my ends and it stunts my hair growth it's affecting my hair self esteem. The advice about washing in twists is appreciated
    For what it's worth: If you're healthy, your hair is growing. It's not stunted. You're just not retaining length due to your ends breaking. If you can find a way to save your ends -- again, I recommend little if any manipulation -- you'll start to see more of your length before you know it. Good luck...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

6. Likes HairLoveUs liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problems. I know locking is not your thing; but it was my only solution. 4b hair has SO much movement, shrinking, expanding, coiling, there's NOway to avoid knotting. Of course adding products with slip n hold help deangle the knots...but won't prevent the knotting. If I want length, I HAVE to do protective styles....so far, Year 3.9 with this set of locks....

Detanglng 20+ hrs a week is a drag and became a no o for me....my hair was still ripping up...I hope you find a solution that works for you??!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ends:
    1. Keeping them trimmed may help. Detangling split ends can be a chore.
    2. Cutting your hair shorter may be a solution, too. You'll have fewer/shorter tangles to deal with.
    3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize as if your life depended upon it!

Styles:
    Some quick styles are cornrows and side flat-twists.

Good luck!
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I considered tangled ends just a part of life for my 4c hair but I gently finger detangle. Keeping the ends moisturized does help a lot. Is a quick french roll and option?
    "You Tied that thing up outside?" said Kepler. "What if he got hungry and ate a mailman or a kindergarten class or something? The least you could do is tie a decent knot." Metzger's Dog by Thomas Perry

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best hair conditioner

Kerassence Hair Conditioner Nourishes, cleans, and stimulates the scalp, while also retaining natural oils, strengthening the roots, and giving the hair a natural sheen. Nourishes, cleans, and stimulates the scalp, while also retaining natural oils, strengthening the roots, and giving the hair a natural sheen. Neelbhringadi hair oil is also good for hair growth and health.