Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spending Diet 2018

I'm sorry to say that I'm not a good budgeter. Once my bills are paid and I have money automatically diverted to savings the rest is mine to do what I want. I tend to purchase whatever I want on groceries. I like fresh so my groceries tend to be on the expensive side. I do look for bargains and sales though. I'm really cheap when it comes to paper goods and products so I'm always looking for that stuff on sale.

Try Jet.com for your paper goods. Free shipping after $35. Might as well have it delivered directly to your door. That might cut down on some impulse buying and gives you an opportunity to comparison shop as well.

In the wake of a layoff, which happened just before christmas, I cut the cable cord. I'm so proud of me. I have a Roku stick and I'm doing trial memberships to different channels/apps to see what combinations of programming will be best for me. I'm about to go with magic jack as well just to have a land line that is only $20 plus a year as opposed to $20 - $30 a month.

Right now, if it's not a necessity I ain't popping for it.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    I've been looking for a good tracking app that does NOT require access to a bank account and can be shared between 2 or more people, tricky. I do not want to give any app that kind of access. This has been hard. Let me know if you run across something?
    I tried out YNAB, it seemed really good. Although it has the option to connect to your bank account, I used it (for a while) without any connection to my account. I simply set up two "cash" accounts puting the bank transactions from my bank account into one of the cash accounts. It didn't affect it's usefulness.

I used a spreadsheet for years which helped me to budget and went back to it a year ago. The YNAB app was so much like my little spreadsheet, I just went back to that.

My biggest luxury was coffee/eating out. Man I had to cut back on that when I saw how much I spent on little foolish food that wasn't even a meal.

The first time I used the spreadsheet years ago, I went from permanent overdraft, no holidays, no new clothes & flat broke to, holidays, new wardrobe and savings in the bank in just over a year - with no salary increase! three decades later, I still have many of the habits I learned back then. (Yes I'm old )

DeBe

3. Thanks Brown.Beautiful thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeBe View Post

I used a spreadsheet for years which helped me to budget and went back to it a year ago. The YNAB app was so much like my little spreadsheet, I just went back to that.

My biggest luxury was coffee/eating out. Man I had to cut back on that when I saw how much I spent on little foolish food that wasn't even a meal.

The first time I used the spreadsheet years ago, I went from permanent overdraft, no holidays, no new clothes & flat broke to, holidays, new wardrobe and savings in the bank in just over a year - with no salary increase! three decades later, I still have many of the habits I learned back then. (Yes I'm old )

DeBe
    Thanks DeBe!
    Besides cutting back on eating out, what other things did you find yourself cutting?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also cut out buying magazines. I used to by them to read on the work commute. I bought them because they were cheap. Realised I was spending around £80 a month on them. I switched to buying books as I prefer them and I realised it worked out way cheaper than all the junk magazines I'd been buying.

I mostly changed my spending habits, rather than cutting things out, like switching from magazines to books.

I bought groceries regularly, so I didn't spend, every day, on snacks. I no longer left home hungry every day and knew there was food at home if I felt hungry on the way home. (I used to just stop off & grab overpriced, low nutrition snacks).

I bought bulk where possible - I found I could end up paying 5 times the price for something by buying in small amounts at (say) a local shop, rather than buying bulk packs, in shops in Asian quarters. All my dried goods I now (still) buy in the Asian shops in the 2kg or 5kg size

Oh, and cooking properly rather than buy pre made food. I learned to cook in bulk and freeze some, so I didn't have to cook every day.

None perishables I stocked up on when they were on sale or two for ones deals. I could have a couple of years worth of some things. Shampoos, cleaning stuff, toiletries etc.

Household things, I bought in the sales rather than when they're full price. Basically anything being replaced, sheets, kitchenware etc. Even white goods, I now hold out until the sales to buy them.

I cut out impulse buys. If I saw something I wanted, I waited at least 24 hours before purchasing. I'd guess, 9 out of 10 times I didn't even bother to go back for something that seemed so "must-have", only the day before.

I have to say, throughout, I never felt deprived, because not only was I changing habits rather than just going without, I found I had more of what I actually wanted, because I wasn't wasting money on things I didn't particularly like or need.

Starbucks type coffee for instance. I decreased how much I drank, by simply asking myself if I actually wanted that next coffee. So often I used to leave half drunk coffees on the table at some coffee house.

If I remember any more I'll add them, but I was amazed at how much more money I had with these changes.

DeBe
    Last edited by DeBe; 01-25-2018 at 12:27 AM.

6. Thanks Brown.Beautiful thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I went over my January budget

I also cut out buying magazines. I used to by them to read on the work commute. I bought them because they were cheap. Realised I was spending around £80 a month on them.
    My local library provides access to an app where I can access most mainstream magazines! See if yours does too.
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by underthehood View Post

My local library provides access to an app where I can access most mainstream magazines! See if yours does too.
    I'm a book bum! And I get really excited about books and sometimes go a little crazy just buying book from amazon and barnes and noble. I've been good about getting my books from the library (the NYPL has everything ya'll) and a couple of 2 buck books from the random street sellers that I may donate or sell once I'm done.

Re: Groceries- I tried this "thing" this week that i looked in my pantry & freezer BEFORE shopping and created my list based on that. Do you know I only spent 15 bucks on groceries this week?!? I mean something so simple as looking to see what I already had smh.

9. Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUMP! Anyone use apps to help manage their budget?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Still using YNAB!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: I'm not using YNAB anymore! I've kind of fallen off the wagon with summer and what not.

I'm thinking of doing a No Spend September !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12