Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Official Nappturality BLACK PANTHER Thread

Went on opening night in Oakland. Folks were showing out, including me.

A fun movie and, culturally, it's great to see everyone so excited about it!

I'm in love with M'Baku played by Winston Duke. If only the vegetarians I knew all looked like that!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*SPOILERS*

Thoroughly enjoyed the film when I saw it. A few things though, Shuri and the 'coloniser' - it did disturb me a bit that she just showed him all the secrets of Wakanda like that - I know the Wakandans are confident and all, but he's still the agent of a foreign power who he could so easily just report everything back to - ALSO, along the same vein, the whole saving T'Challa with the plant bit - couldn't he (the MI5 agent) have waited outside in the foyer or something?! I mean, really!

Although I do think the Wakandans should have thought more about their brothers/sisters in sharing some of their wealth and knowledge (a la Nakia), considering the way of the world as we know it I can see why the Wakandans did keep it to themselves ... to a certain degree.

I do not see Kilmonger as some sort of hero (I get his argument - but he's a killer and a warmongerer - like his name, go figure! He's a bitter, angry, broken soul who wouldn't have brought any good to the world). Some people mention a MLK and Malcolm X correlation - and yes, to a shallow degree. Malcolm had more development - Kilmonger is nowhere near his level. But the African/African-American relationship being addressed was important.

The opening up Wakanda to the world Kumbaya ending was an appeasement to white audiences, imo. The cynical me was just thinking how they would all just try to infiltrate and gain control of the resources by hook or by crook ... Fling a few white women at the men in power, get perplexed when it didn't work how they expected (since Wakanda hasn't been influenced by the western media), and then try another way in, lol!

Loved the range and depth and motivations of the characters, and that the women all had different and equally appealing roles... yea... I did love Shuri's character - 'What are THOSE?!' lol!
    Dread since 2005

The Revolution will not be televised - Gil Scott Heron

My Fotki - pw: simiya

3. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss y'all !

I'm swamped for time and as much as I would love to sit down and pen a love letter to Black Panther I just don't have the time to put in to words how powerful this film is. It brought tears to my eyes during and since. It made me realizing what we're missing out on. The power of imagination is incredible.

Yes @Bejewelle, the chummy relationship between the Wakandans and the colonizer along with the film's ending had me going: is American foreign policy not studied in Wakanda? Oh wait, this is still Hollywood, my bad.

Can't wait to see it again, this time with the local Black community! Me and my fam were the only Black people in the theater the first time I saw it and I think it's going to make a difference.
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

5. Likes Bejewelle liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The chummy behavior gives them TONS of storyline options for Black Panther II: Wakanda Against the World.

So is there a thread about a Wrinkle in Time? I just saw that one tonight too.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

7. Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    The chummy behavior gives them TONS of storyline options for Black Panther II: Wakanda Against the World.

YASS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    So is there a thread about a Wrinkle in Time? I just saw that one tonight too.
    No, but make one! That's another movie I want to support financially because
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WAKANDA FOREVER!!

Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12