Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone else determined to get fit in 2018?

I'm looking for some communal accountability from like-minded ladies!

I've been trying to reduce the carbs and sugars but that holidays caught me slipping!

I've been doing consistent strength training and cardio- and I've seen results.

Trying no to make it a resolution but a new set of habits.

2. Likes Scribetastic, DazeOff liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone else determined to get fit in 2018?

Me. I am officially menopausal and it's brought along a LOT of extra weight. I'm trying to take it one day at a time rather than think about just how long it's going to take and how much I have to lose.

Two things I'm doing:
    - Eating low-carb but being sensible about it. My first-ever diet was low-carb (South Beach) and I did lose a lot of weight but diets don't work so I need to think of this way of eating as a permanent lifestyle change. Realistically I can't ever completely give up carbs but I CAN make smart choices about what I eat, particularly when I'm out and about and I don't have control over what's on the menu.
    - Exercising at home with YouTube to see if I need to continue giving money to a gym I don't go to.

Best of luck to the both of us! Maybe we'll get some others in here and get some energy going in this forum again.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

4. Likes Scribetastic, Brown.Beautiful liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it's really just taking on and sticking with healthy habits. Now that I've officially reached a half century on this earth, I just know there is no more time to wait. I've been going to the gym regularly since my gym opened in April, and I love my gym. I've lost about 20 pounds and have been able to keep that off. I try not to worry about weight. If you exercise more and eat less and eat healthier, you'll loose weight. I definitely need to loose more, but that's going to depend on me getting back to harder workouts and maybe even hiring a trainer, if I can afford it. Things have been tough for me financially, but my gym is the one perk I will not let go of; also, when things are tough self-care is very important.

For me, I'm pushing to get back to the amount of workouts I was doing before life got challenging: 3 to 4 times a week. Things are calming down a bit now, and I'm going to switch my routine to morning workouts vs. trying to get to the gym in the evenings. I think with age it's just easier for me to take on the gym during the day vs. hoping I'll have the energy in the evenings. These days by the time the evening hits, all I want to do is relax.

I eat pretty well. I try to make sure that I have some fresh elements in my diet daily. I also make sure that I have some probiotics or fermented foods because I've got to keep my pH and good bacteria in balance.

Basically, I need to up my workouts and keep an eye on what I put in my mouth. I want to move into my senior years in good health.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

6. Likes underthehood, Brown.Beautiful liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am doing a staircase challenge at the end of February (climbing up a 1000) steps and y'all I neeeeed to train. I have always hated the stairmaster but since I am doing this I have to learn to work those quads.

Aside from that I have been steadily adjusting my lifestyle since the end of 2016. I started by adjusting my caloric intake (calories in calories out). Then I added a gym membership a few months later. There were a few months at the end of last year when I stoped watching what I ate so I'm getting back into that.

8. Likes Brown.Beautiful liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay!

I'm glad to have some sisters to get fit with!
    @underthehood I've found that leg presses help considerable with stair climbing!

Has anyone considered going vegan (or is vegan)?

10. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay, a few of my fitness peeps are back. I built to it gradually, but I over the years I had gotten myself to working out five to seven days a week. NO matter what was going on, or how tired I was, I MADE time to exercise. Then a switch in my brain kicked on and I was in the minority of people who actually found exercising fun and exhilarating. I always had to be walking, running, lifting weights, stretching, swimming. In fact, when NP dwindled off, I turned to FB to find other folks who were into fitness as much as I was. I found a group called 100 workouts in 100 days. You only had to make a 30 minute a day commitment for the workout to count. Easy peasy. Actually made it to day 43 of non stop workouts before my mom died last year. Even after the funeral I was trying to stay active but grief finally got the better of me, combine that with a new job and I packed the pounds back on, close to 35 pounds. I've since lost around 15 pounds. Five of the fluctuates.

I desperately want to recommit. I even let my beloved Y membership lapse. But I'm rejoining today.
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 01-08-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

12. Likes underthehood, Brown.Beautiful liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown.Beautiful View Post
    @underthehood I've found that leg presses help considerable with stair climbing!
    Thank you!!! Added to leg day! Do you recommend high weight low reps or moderate weight and a higher number of reps?
    @Napia Mia good to see you!
    Last edited by underthehood; 01-09-2018 at 01:04 AM.
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, moderate weight and high number or reps. If your legs don't wobble when you get off the machine- it wasn't done right lol. That's my philosophy.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey y'all!

So, I'm back on the fitness wagon after being off of it for about 5 months or so. I take dance classes (with the occassioinal high intensity interval training (HIIT) classes sprinkled in) at a local studio, and I find that that works best for me when staying active. Also, I'm going to give Bret Contreras' Strong Curves program another go to up the ante on my lower body. (Basically, I want a butt that I can sit a glass of water on...or at least a shot glass...I'll take a shot glass. )

As far as eating goes, I'm caught somewhere between the low-carb stage (specifically keto), and I found that that has helped me to not only lose a lot of weight (went from my highest of 205 to 148 ), but I felt my absolute best. I didn't have to worry about high blood pressure or bloat, and my mental wellness was just up there. (The fact that I didn't want to curse everybody out at my job all the time was just great...Especially for them.) For the time being, I'm just trying to keep my water intake up.

I am getting back to that because my mind has been nagging me to get back there. (That's how jumping on something works for me lol...Step one, amirite?). So now, I've just got to get all of the sweets and sugars and snacks outta my damb house.
    Last edited by DazeOff; 01-09-2018 at 05:38 PM.

16. Likes Brown.Beautiful liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I want a proportioned frame. Nothing too unrealistic. I cut out candy and am trying to cut out sugars. Unfortunately, I have a sweet tooth, so I'm concentrating on eliminating hidden sugars in condiments, salad dressings, yogurt, etc. I'm trying to drink a sufficient amount of water each day.
    I enjoy walking several times a week, weather permitting, and my Youtube exercise videos. The plank is finally starting to show results.
    Mainly I want to avoid the aches and pains so many women seems to experience as they age beyond the 30's. Too many of the people I know start to have serious medical issues after 50 and some it is aggravated by being overweight.
    Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.
    - George Bernard Shaw

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
    - William Shakespeare

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without victims.
    - Harriet Woods

18. Likes Brown.Beautiful liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast