Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: please HELP ME with my hair breakage!!! ( its been 5 years!!???)

Quote Originally Posted by DeBe View Post
    I'd say the reason you hair stops breaking after having it straightend, is the mechanical harshness of the process breaks off all the weakened hair. Then by a week's time more hair has weakened so you notice the breakage again as it drops off.

Seriously, The only thing that weakens the hair more than blow drying, is a hot comb. I relaxed and blowdryed my hair for many years before I went natural, so I also experienced the one week, post wash, relief from breakage in the same pattern that you describe.

The advise from Brown.Beautiful in post #2 seems spot on. The only thing I'd add is a one off use of a clarifying shampoo, then moisturise like your life depends on it. Clarifying once or twice a year should be enough. Buildup of products can make the hair brittle. With the heat on top of that, breakage is going to happen.

DeBe
    wow wish i'd known this sooner. thank you! <3 i will try this

2. Likes DeBe, deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eloisebean View Post
    since 2012 my hair has been breaking off. i went to england for extended period of time, and needed to get my hair done. i usually just did a hot comb but apparently they don't use those there. so i settled for relaxer. i've gotten one before in 2008. she relaxed my whole head, rinsed it right after cause of burning. everything seemed fine until weeks later, when my hair started coming out. everytime i put my fingers in my hair lots of strands would come out. i didn't know what to do. it was breaking non stop.

i get back to the states in early 2013, and get a ''wash n roller set''. my hair stopped breaking off. i noticed that after a week of getting the ''wash n set'', my hair would start breaking off again. so now if i want to stop the breakage i have to get my hair done every 1.5 - 2 weeks. it's been 5 years, why is it still breaking off?? my hair grew a bit since then, so shouldn't it be out of hair already?

i've used a sephora product (dont despair hair repair), mask, and bought my own hair dryer, and it worked (early 2017). my biggest mistake was doing the hair mask again a week later, and it started to break again!! i researched and now it seems i have protein overload. now it's hard to find products that don't have protein in them. why does this keep happening to me
    Oh you poor thing. Firstly, the hot comb combination relaxer would have taken your hair out, and it did. You would have had heat damage from the hot comb and worsened it by relaxing it. Every time you use heat, you weaken your hair, break the bonds and the relaxer on top was the perfect storm for hair loss.

Your wash and set was a temporary measure that added some moisture and flexibility artificially, when it wore off, your hair reverted back to its damaged condition and continued the breaking off.

With your hair in its state, the worst thing you can do is use protein, but you have already worked that part out. The good thing is that it is fixable!

Hair grows an average of 1/2 inch per month, it will grow back. But you need to make sure you treat your hair very gently because it is still damaged. Stay away from heat, protein, glycerin and anything that contains alcohol (cetaryl is ok), silicones, sulphates and petrolatum or mineral oil.

Use products containing shea butter, argan and coconut oils. Use a conditioning co-wash and a natural leave-in that encourages moisture retention.

Your hair may be coated with products and need a clarifying treatment. This usually means a clarifying shampoo. (Once you do this, you will not need to do it again for a long time.)

Stay away from gimmicks and youtube magical vloggers and simplify your routine with healthy products without chemicals. One thing I will advise is that you increase your water intake. Water from the inside is what feeds your follicles and helps create healthy hair from the root.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

4. Thanks Brown.Beautiful thanked for this post
    Likes DeBe liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post

With your hair in its state, the worst thing you can do is use protein, but you have already worked that part out. The good thing is that it is fixable!

Hair grows an average of 1/2 inch per month, it will grow back. But you need to make sure you treat your hair very gently because it is still damaged. Stay away from heat, protein, glycerin and anything that contains alcohol (cetaryl is ok), silicones, sulphates and petrolatum or mineral oil.

Use products containing shea butter, argan and coconut oils. Use a conditioning co-wash and a natural leave-in that encourages moisture retention.
    Side Question: Are you of the opinion that protein treatment do not work? I'm trying to work out if I should add a light protein conditioner to my regimen and this is the first time i've really seen someone say "stay far away". I'm working on length retention and just general hair health and thought the addition might help.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imho: cut off all the damaged parts.
    Moisturize. Add oils to your hair care routine, especially castor oil, coconut oil, olive oil.
    Protect your hair at night with a bonnet and/or satin pillowcase. It works for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12