Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry please HELP ME with my hair breakage!!! ( its been 5 years!!???)

since 2012 my hair has been breaking off. i went to england for extended period of time, and needed to get my hair done. i usually just did a hot comb but apparently they don't use those there. so i settled for relaxer. i've gotten one before in 2008. she relaxed my whole head, rinsed it right after cause of burning. everything seemed fine until weeks later, when my hair started coming out. everytime i put my fingers in my hair lots of strands would come out. i didn't know what to do. it was breaking non stop.

i get back to the states in early 2013, and get a ''wash n roller set''. my hair stopped breaking off. i noticed that after a week of getting the ''wash n set'', my hair would start breaking off again. so now if i want to stop the breakage i have to get my hair done every 1.5 - 2 weeks. it's been 5 years, why is it still breaking off?? my hair grew a bit since then, so shouldn't it be out of hair already?

i've used a sephora product (dont despair hair repair), mask, and bought my own hair dryer, and it worked (early 2017). my biggest mistake was doing the hair mask again a week later, and it started to break again!! i researched and now it seems i have protein overload. now it's hard to find products that don't have protein in them. why does this keep happening to me

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: please HELP ME with my hair breakage!!! ( its been 5 years!!???)

Hi Eloisebean!

I couldn't tell from the post whether or not you were still relaxing? It could be a number of things and i'm no doctor but here's what I would do.

1. Stop relaxing if you are.
    2.Check your diet (hair grows from the inside out); Consume lots of water.
    3 Stop using any form of heat.
    4. Develop a hair care regime (consistent conditioning and cleansing routines)
    5. Moisturize like it's your day job (water based moisturizing). Seal in that moisture like it's your side hustle. (butters, oils)
    6. Skip the salon, and develop a relationship with your hair.
    7. See a Dermatologist (whether or not the above works)

3. Likes eloisebean liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i haven't relaxed since 2012. i will never do it again. i get my hair washed and pressed with flat iron. it's the only time my hair stops breaking, for maybe a a little over a week. and then the breakage starts all over again.

you mentioned water based, do you have any recommendations?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the pattern appears that pressing your hair is keeping it from breaking put i'm really skeptical. Heat doesn't help hair; it weakens it. I wonder how much breakage you're experiencing after a week or so? Could it be that you're not manipulating it as much for that week and a half time and then you're getting breakage after you start styling it?

Could you do the braid on stretched (without heat) hair?

I really don't think heat is helping. It's the one thing you've done consistently is use heat and you've consistently lost hair. It might be time to try something new.

Also, I use Qhemet Biologics Moringa Tree Conditioner for a moisturizer. And also my handy dandy spray bottle has some conditioner water mix. Sometimes I just use that and my Kyra's Shea Medley's butter to seal. Moisture for days.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the relaxer made my hair break off. the only time it doesn't break off is when i just get done and it's bone straight (flat iron). it starts to break off again when it's slowly reverting back to my natural state which is every 1.5 -2 weeks, and i have to go again to stop the breakage. the longest i've gone without my hair breaking, was 1 month, and that was in 2014. this was after a salon visit.

back in 2013 i spoke to a hairdresser in the salon, and she said it's breaking cause i need another treatment/relaxer. i never had breakage like this until after i got that relaxer.

''braid on stretched'' what is that

also thank you for the products. will deff try them
    Last edited by eloisebean; 01-14-2018 at 04:08 PM.

7. Thanks Brown.Beautiful thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna stand by what I said earlier.
    Your hair does NOT need another relaxer.
    Your hair does NOT need to be bone straight.
    That is not the way the good Lord made it grow out your head.

Maybe someone else could jump in because I don't know any other way for healthy hair. If you keep doing the same thing, I'm sure you'll get the same result though.

Braiding on stretched hair- doing protective styles (braids, twists, etc) on hair that is elongated through non-heat methods (two strand twists, banding, plaits).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you cut off your perm? When I was growing my relaxer out. I has the same issue so bad I constantly wore a hat. It wasn't til I cut off my relaxer the breakage stopped.

10. Likes Brown.Beautiful liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazile View Post
    Have you cut off your perm? When I was growing my relaxer out. I has the same issue so bad I constantly wore a hat. It wasn't til I cut off my relaxer the breakage stopped.
    i did get my ends trimmed back in 2015, and it did grow. but it's been 5 years shouldn't it have already grown out?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The breakage is stopping temporarily because whatever heat protectant your stylist is using, it is sealing over the damaged parts of your hair... but only for a little over a week. Then the breakage starts again. Your best move is to go to a stylist who will assess the damage in your hair and CUT it.

I'm so sorry to say that.

You very likely have split ends and midway splits too. If you leave that kind of damage in your hair, it will keep splitting more and more, up and up. So even if you stop the heat (which you should) your hair will continue to break off.

It's really important that you get the damage cut off. If you like, take a look at this article https://blackhairspot.com/blog/hair-...hair-breakage/ I hope it helps.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say the reason you hair stops breaking after having it straightend, is the mechanical harshness of the process breaks off all the weakened hair. Then by a week's time more hair has weakened so you notice the breakage again as it drops off.

Seriously, The only thing that weakens the hair more than blow drying, is a hot comb. I relaxed and blowdryed my hair for many years before I went natural, so I also experienced the one week, post wash, relief from breakage in the same pattern that you describe.

The advise from Brown.Beautiful in post #2 seems spot on. The only thing I'd add is a one off use of a clarifying shampoo, then moisturise like your life depends on it. Clarifying once or twice a year should be enough. Buildup of products can make the hair brittle. With the heat on top of that, breakage is going to happen.

DeBe

14. Thanks Brown.Beautiful thanked for this post
    Likes Brown.Beautiful liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast