Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Questioning letting the grey grow in.

I have almost 11 year old locs, started out as Sisterlocks. When I started out I had a few greys not many, but I've been using henna for I thing about 8 of those years.

Now prior to going grey, I always wanted to let the greys grow in to get that ombre impact of gradually greying locs, but I've become acustomed to my henna.

Here's my issue, as well as the colour that comes from henna, It also clarifies the locs in a way I can't find with anything else. When I henna, not only do my locs look glossier, but the drying time shortens by quite some way.

I'm stil conflicted about letting the greys do their own thing and having the dark hair, because the greys have the same impact as dull-need-to-clarify-hair to my eyes. I admit the vanity of maintaining colour, also plays a part.

So... While I'm trying to get over the plain vanity part, does anyone know of anything that clarifies as well as henna? P.S. Although I used ACV for quite a while, it clarifies, but doesn't give me the gloss or noticable speeded up drying time I get from henna.

DeBe

2. Likes Brown.Beautiful, KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Questioning letting the grey grow in.

I was going to say ACV. Also, I think i've said it in another post on here but I got on of those shampoo brushes and it takes my regular shmegular trader joe's shampoo and clears my scalp. Now, I don't of anything that will have the effect of henna on the actual hair. Waiting to see what others say...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shampoo brush? I haven't come across that. What does it do?

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used a soft face brush on my locks (mature) for years. it helps get the sebum down the hair shaft and feels wonderful! I use it to rinse out the soap from my locks as well.

I may try henna-gun shy of the mess....how do you limit that?

Also rose water is awesome sauce for sheen without sticky residue. you may like?

6. Likes Brown.Beautiful liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    I've used a soft face brush on my locks (mature) for years. it helps get the sebum down the hair shaft and feels wonderful! I use it to rinse out the soap from my locks as well.

I may try henna-gun shy of the mess....how do you limit that?

Also rose water is awesome sauce for sheen without sticky residue. you may like?
    The henna mess: I wear all black clothes, I.e. leggings and a black cammisole. Lay down plastic sheeting on the bathroom floor. Then after applying it Use clingfilm (kept in arms reach) to wrap my hair before I wrap in a (black) towel. I rinse it off over the bath.

When the hair is almost dry, I go onto my balcony and shake out as much of the left over powder as I can (there's always some no matter how much I rinse) After that, the only mess is some bits of henna (for a couple more washes) that have held on the the hair, but no stain left, so not enough to stain anything, just regular vacuuming

DeBe

8. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the rose water tip, I'll try that because I love the smell.

DeBe

10. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeBe View Post
    Shampoo brush? I haven't come across that. What does it do?

DeBe

Similar to what @KnottyAuthor dofr face brush, its breaks down the build up and leaves my scalp so fresh and so clean! Mine is battery operated- its feels great!

Back when I used the Lush Brand of Henna, I had minimal mess. I slapped it on like I would a pre-poo and then rinsed in the shower.

12. Thanks DeBe thanked for this post
    Likes deecoily, KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeBe View Post
    I have almost 11 year old locs, started out as Sisterlocks. When I started out I had a few greys not many, but I've been using henna for I thing about 8 of those years.

Now prior to going grey, I always wanted to let the greys grow in to get that ombre impact of gradually greying locs, but I've become acustomed to my henna.

Here's my issue, as well as the colour that comes from henna, It also clarifies the locs in a way I can't find with anything else. When I henna, not only do my locs look glossier, but the drying time shortens by quite some way.

I'm stil conflicted about letting the greys do their own thing and having the dark hair, because the greys have the same impact as dull-need-to-clarify-hair to my eyes. I admit the vanity of maintaining colour, also plays a part.

So... While I'm trying to get over the plain vanity part, does anyone know of anything that clarifies as well as henna? P.S. Although I used ACV for quite a while, it clarifies, but doesn't give me the gloss or noticable speeded up drying time I get from henna.

DeBe
    my grey always looks funny- it doesn't color well... I've never gotten my natural hair professionally colored because I don't want my hair to dry out... henna doesn't really cover grey... ACV does make your hair shiny after rinsing away the tiny bits of henna though...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cutenappygrl View Post
    my grey always looks funny- it doesn't color well... I've never gotten my natural hair professionally colored because I don't want my hair to dry out... henna doesn't really cover grey... ACV does make your hair shiny after rinsing away the tiny bits of henna though...
    Well, I colour with henna but I'm happy with the red highlighting effect on the few greys over most of my head. I have a significant amount of greys at the temple and my side parting, so I add a little indigo powder to the last of the henna and use it on the temples and the top layer of hair, which makes it a soft brown. If you add enough indigo it goes balck/dark brown.

Overall I'm left with a reddish/browning effect on my used to be black hair, but I'm happy with that. The greys through most of my hair are a sparkly red.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm looking at what to do next because at the moment I still have mostly dark hair, but at some point I'm going to have enough grey that I'm left with too much red (from the henna) for the colour to look right.

DeBe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast