Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cold weather "Jheri" curl regimen unanswered question

I have asked this question yet no one has been able to really answer it . Perhaps a stylist can.

If glycerine based products can cause dryness if used when the weather is cold and dew point is low, how were people who wore curly perms able to retain such length? Presumably they retained length due mostly to heavy glycerine based moisturizing products. So why not do the same on natural hair and get the same results?

I'm sure they experienced some damage resulting in trims ,wore plastic caps, didn't use heat, rarely manipulated hair, etc. but none of that really answers the question.

I'm thinking the chemical changed the hair structure , perhaps opened the cuticle, so that the glycerine was more easily absorbed? I don't know.

So far no one has been able to explain HOW length was retained with NO sealing in cold weather with glycerine?

2. Likes Cerendipity liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cold weather "Jheri" curl regimen unanswered question

It wasn't just the glycerin...it was WATER and glycerin.

My natural hair has always thrived with a daily (or every other day) dose of real moisture in the form of water or a water-based leave-in.

I don't know if naturals are still doing the greenhouse effect (GHE) method -- moisturizing and wearing a plastic cap at night -- but it too was based on a method used by Jheri Curl wearers.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diane8783 View Post
    I have asked this question yet no one has been able to really answer it . Perhaps a stylist can.

If glycerine based products can cause dryness if used when the weather is cold and dew point is low, how were people who wore curly perms able to retain such length? Presumably they retained length due mostly to heavy glycerine based moisturizing products. So why not do the same on natural hair and get the same results?

I'm sure they experienced some damage resulting in trims ,wore plastic caps, didn't use heat, rarely manipulated hair, etc. but none of that really answers the question.

I'm thinking the chemical changed the hair structure , perhaps opened the cuticle, so that the glycerine was more easily absorbed? I don't know.

So far no one has been able to explain HOW length was retained with NO sealing in cold weather with glycerine?
    I forgot how well they're products worked... I think some people make homemade products with glycerine in it... I personally like castor oil in products to retain moisture...

https://www.nappturality.com/forums/...ucts+glycerine
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diane8783 View Post

I remember having a curl in Chicago cold weather and even though I juiced up my hair , it still was hard to touch because of the cold weather but I just left It alone. However I still sprayed the curl activator gel to set the curls.

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, happy to say I stumbled upon the answer to my own question on a Blog. I didn't realize the formula in these products changed, thus why my hair was bone dry despite using them and experiencing major hair breakage in winter.....they no longer contain mineral oil. In retrospect I realized the products are not greasy as they used to be.

The blog stated that the old formula moisturizer's three main ingredients were water, glycerin and mineral oil so I made my own moisturizer using those three. My scalp IMMEDIATELY felt better and my hair is moisturized. Although dreaded by others, my hair always did well using grease/mineral oil.