User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    7
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Letting products sit: yay or nay?

    Hello! My name is Aituaje, and I have low porosity 4c hair. Since my hair likes to take her sweet ol' time absorbing all the products I love to slather all over her, would letting the products sit on my hair be beneficial, or not? I mean I'll still rub them in, but is waiting for the products to absorb into my hair actually moisturizing it?

    Thanks a bunch

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Australia / USA
    Posts
    5,288
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Letting products sit: yay or nay?

    Welcome Aituaje!
    What products are you using on your hair? If your hair has low porosity, it would be a good idea to use minimal oils and more butters. Also you can increase your hair's absorption by using warmth to help the products soak in. Have you tried using a steamer? It can work wonders! The individual layers of the outermost part of the hair shaft need to lift up in order for the product to get into the hair shaft. That's what warmth can do. Check out this article on how the hair is structured, which may help you understand the process. https://www.nappturality.com/natural...-hair-porosity

    If you are massaging the products in and they are still just sitting there, they are not doing your hair much good. So let us know what you are using so we can let you know what may be good for you.

    ~Dee~
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    7
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Letting products sit: yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    Welcome Aituaje!
    What products are you using on your hair? If your hair has low porosity, it would be a good idea to use minimal oils and more butters. Also you can increase your hair's absorption by using warmth to help the products soak in. Have you tried using a steamer? It can work wonders! The individual layers of the outermost part of the hair shaft need to lift up in order for the product to get into the hair shaft. That's what warmth can do. Check out this article on how the hair is structured, which may help you understand the process. https://www.nappturality.com/natural...-hair-porosity

    If you are massaging the products in and they are still just sitting there, they are not doing your hair much good. So let us know what you are using so we can let you know what may be good for you.

    ~Dee~
    Thank you for the welcome, Dee!
    As for products I'm don't use a lot: I use water mixed with teatree oil as my liquid (though my teatree oil is running out so soon this will just be water), a moisturizing detangling cream as my cream, and softee indian hemp to seal it all in. I used to use blue magic coconut oil but this left my hair feeling sticky and heavy. I don't have a steamer, but I think I may try warming up my products to aid absorption. I use olive oil mixed with coconut oil for my weekly prepoo, and I condition with tresemme conditioner with marula oil (I also use the corresponding shampoo). I've tried using cantu coconut milk, but my hair didn't seem to like it much as it never felt soft no matter how much I used.

    The article you linked recommended it said to invest in a steamer: is this necessary or will warming the products be sufficient?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Australia / USA
    Posts
    5,288
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Letting products sit: yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aituaje View Post
    Thank you for the welcome, Dee!
    As for products I'm don't use a lot: I use water mixed with teatree oil as my liquid (though my teatree oil is running out so soon this will just be water), a moisturizing detangling cream as my cream, and softee indian hemp to seal it all in. I used to use blue magic coconut oil but this left my hair feeling sticky and heavy. I don't have a steamer, but I think I may try warming up my products to aid absorption. I use olive oil mixed with coconut oil for my weekly prepoo, and I condition with tresemme conditioner with marula oil (I also use the corresponding shampoo). I've tried using cantu coconut milk, but my hair didn't seem to like it much as it never felt soft no matter how much I used.

    The article you linked recommended it said to invest in a steamer: is this necessary or will warming the products be sufficient?
    Hi Aituaje, check the ingredients on you products. If they contain silicones (*cone) or petrolatum/mineral oil, toss them out. If you use products like this, they will not only coat your hair but also lock moisture OUT, which is horrible for our hairtype. It is possible that coconut oil will just be sticky and heavy if it doesn't absorb. I don't know what else is in their coconut oil product, binders, fillers etc so I can't comment directly on what may also be going on with it. Warming your products will definitely impove absorption, you can also get a similar result if you wrap your wet, product-free hair in plastic wrap and sit under a warm dryer (or in warm sunlight) for at least 15 minutes. Then distrubute your warmed products through your hair.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    7
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Letting products sit: yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    Hi Aituaje, check the ingredients on you products. If they contain silicones (*cone) or petrolatum/mineral oil, toss them out. If you use products like this, they will not only coat your hair but also lock moisture OUT, which is horrible for our hairtype. It is possible that coconut oil will just be sticky and heavy if it doesn't absorb. I don't know what else is in their coconut oil product, binders, fillers etc so I can't comment directly on what may also be going on with it. Warming your products will definitely impove absorption, you can also get a similar result if you wrap your wet, product-free hair in plastic wrap and sit under a warm dryer (or in warm sunlight) for at least 15 minutes. Then distrubute your warmed products through your hair.
    Ooohh I know for sure one of the products (the blue magic coconut oil) contains petrolatum. And the Indian hemp as mineral oil. Aw man, that stinks. Do you recommend any products for moisturization? And thank you for the sitting under a warm dryer idea: I don't think I've heard of that one before, but it sounds like a good (and relaxing) idea.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    497
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Letting products sit: yay or nay?

    I don't let anything sit more that 30 minutes- think it stops being effective at that point. It doesn't hurt, but I don't think ti helps more.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    6
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Letting products sit: yay or nay?

    I personally feel that after a certain time (15-30 minutes) is when the product stops doing it's thing. What matters the most I believe is actually getting the product "in" there. By that I mean actually fully covering your head, I can't believe how many of my friends would barely use the product correctly.

Similar Threads

  1. Yay or Nay
    By GuyanesePrincess in forum Clothing and Fashion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 09:13 PM
  2. Biotin - Yay or Nay?
    By mommydiva in forum Health and Wellness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 01:39 AM
  3. Yay Or Nay: Is This Tacky?
    By CatSuga in forum Other Life Topics Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 08:23 PM
  4. What Say You Nappies? Yay Or Nay?
    By Button2004 in forum Napptural Beauty
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 05:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •