Likes Likes:  10
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I don't think I was a true nappy...

Hi ladies. Its been many years since I have been on this forum and I see a lot of great changes here. Anyhoo. I just want to say after 26 years of being a nappy, I finally got it. I got that no matter how much gel I put in my hair, it will not be curly. When my hair dries, its a wooly mass, it will not be separated ringlets. The hair doesn't like to be combed unless its wet. Perm it? It'll reject by breaking off and throwing the wooly mass. Curl it? In 2 hours its bushy. Heat straighten? It will break or turn back to wooly mass. Professional care??? If its not what the hair wants to do....fforget it. Instead of just saying I've had it, I'm allowing IT to dictate how it wants to look and be. Not me. The result is a big bushy wooly shiney mass which, hmm...actually looks quite sexy. Anyhoo. That is my testimony. Anyone have "aha" moments with their natural tresses???

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I don't think I was a true nappy...

How I feel about my hair It will always have some type of frizz.

"Stop...think about...let it simmer.... The more you try to define, the more you realize that some things in this life of ours are indefinable....I am one of those people that one word can not describe me in my entirety. But if I would describe myself...it would be indefinable!"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes sense to me! If you are happy with it? That's all that matters. I love my "mess" too!
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naw, no such thing as a "true" nappy like that. I am not always happy with my hair. Grateful for it, yes. But happy Hell NO. Especially since I hit my 40s. But I'm still working with it.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

5. Likes KellyVonn liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    I am not always happy with my hair. Grateful for it, yes. But happy Hell NO. Especially since I hit my 40s. But I'm still working with it.
    I bolded this because I'm dealing with varying degrees of happiness, now that I'm on the right side of 65. My hair isn't what I remember even 5 years ago, so I've gotta be ok with whatever state it's in. Luckily I have a stylist that keeps me encouraged.

7. Likes KellyVonn, LBellatrix, deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OHR View Post
    I bolded this because I'm dealing with varying degrees of happiness, now that I'm on the right side of 65. My hair isn't what I remember even 5 years ago, so I've gotta be ok with whatever state it's in. Luckily I have a stylist that keeps me encouraged.
    @OHR@ Yep. The fact of the matter is that getting older brings hair challenges. More stuff our mothers never told us about. Like menopause-ism and belly fat and thyroids and what not.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

9. Thanks OHR thanked for this post
    Likes OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I had to explain to a younger colleague that the only reason my hair looks thick is because I wear it the way I do (i.e. not straightened and in some form of 'fro). One more reason why I'm thankful I quit the creamy crack...

I remember reading years ago that up to 60 percent of women experience hair thinning starting in middle age. Hello, I'm one of the 60% (waving) and I'm now well into my second year of my Last Growout Ever (TM).

Interestingly, YouTube recommended this video to me just the other day. I really like how she described the process of going gray because it reminded me of my locking process (when I was loced). The uniqueness of the journey is what makes it so fascinating to me. And I'm nowhere near as gray as she is...but when I am I expect to have at least as much hair as she does (length-wise) if not more.

Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

11. Thanks OHR, deecoily thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having issues with grays. I have little areas like polka dots appearing on top. It's not cute. Not at all. So ---- not ready for this yet. I'm also not ready to say this is my Last Growout Ever. Yep, I have issues.
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    I am having issues with grays. I have little areas like polka dots appearing on top. It's not cute. Not at all. So ---- not ready for this yet. I'm also not ready to say this is my Last Growout Ever. Yep, I have issues.
    I hear you...just know that I had to GET to this point...

Most likely I will always be that woman who likes to do different things to her hair. Currently I avoid wigs like the plague mainly because when I put one on I look like I'm wearing a wig but when I BC for the last time I'm going to start wearing them on purpose. Meaning: I know it's a wig, YOU know it's a wig, and it's all good in the 'hood. When I'm not wearing wigs, I plan to wear geometric designs cut into my silver-and-white TWA. And when I REALLY stop giving a f***, I'm going to get a geometric tattoo. Think I'm kidding? Check me out when I do my last BC...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!