Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 5 Years Of Sisterlocks, The Verdict is In

Hi all,

Because I attribute my 15 yr natural success to nappturality, I thought it only appropriate to post my joy of reaching 5 yrs Sisterlocked here. It just hit me, that in July (a bit early, whatever) I will have had my Sisterlocks for 5 years. I'm going to blog about it-but it amazed me. Looking back to 2013, I was pissed off about the Travon Martin verdict and had enough of playing with my lose hair, so I locked it back up after 7 yrs of braidlocks. So, here's my take on Sisterlocks.

There is no magic
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Sisterlocks-now. But hated them the first 2 yrs and I realllly missed my organically grown braidlocks. I wanted to see what the mystery was about regarding SLs. I've learned that, yes, SLs locks uniquely, but there's no mystery. And, No, they are NOT locks at time of install. And, yes, it still takes about 2yrs to have fully locked hair. The speed of the locking process is quick. However, the uniqueness of the SL brand seems to be the tool. Locks can be installed in latched rotations, twists, coils, 2 strands, braids....in this case, a specific latch rotation is established with he SL tool-and it's cool, yes, magic, no. What my hair did was immediately go into the locking stages, bunching, shedding, poofing all of that. I was not ready. With braids that took months. Mature, I love my SLs more than the Braidlocks at their maturity.But the maturing process was uncomfortable.

Would I do it again?
    Nah. I would microbraidlock, lol. Although I love my SLs, I wouldn't do another journey this way just because I know I could easily do it DIY my way all the way and get the look I want. I had SL installed simply because I wanted to pilot this experience on my own hair so I could understand at a deeper level the mystery around SLs. If I had one more go-round, I'd do a tight grid with micro locks or 2 strand twist and just do latch rotations it and snip the braided ends off that were left around year 3 or 4.

Cost?
    The only cost I had was installation. I searched for a consultant who supported my to desire DIY. It was important to me to understand all of the restrictions around SLs. I've observed that the restrictions are moreso required to protect the branding of SL; but, has nothing to do with the health of the the journey (if you know what you're doing). I was really scared those first few months tightening my own hair bc of all the slippage, horror stories of holes in locks etc... But it worked out and I'm pleased. The experience I had with lock maintenance and maintaining my own braid locks with latch rotations. I never used the SL products, or tool (although the tool was used at time of install). I still used my 2.5 inch hair pin and a diluted clarifying shampoo to care for my hair. I prefer the freedom of my own schedule and keeping my money in my pocket, so I piloted my theory on my own hair and it's been fine. The only money I spent was for the installation-which truthfully was worth much more than my consultant charged me because of the time it took her to lock 14 inches of hair. And, thought the tool was unique, I did not prefer it. My consultant was good about 'hiding' it from me, only showing it to me quickly then taking it away and being restrictive about selfies during the process, haha-she followed the rules (especially knowing my propensity to analyze these type of things)! Honestly, the SL tool felt like it was shredding my hair and I did not like that since I wanted a strong core in case I took my locks down, or just because....healthy is good. It's been fine so far, just something to be aware of if you experience the same thing. Because she's great, we did a few work arounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yr 0-4.004.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	11165

My journey, My way
    Besides DIY and my choice of product, I shared less through this journey and chose to live life more than talk about it online or vlog. That has also allowed me to have a wonderful journey. Sorry to check out on so many, but life is short.

Results?
    Sisterlocks is a brand. The boundaries are in place to protect the brand. I respect the author of the brand and her system. Just know that it is possible to have a successful journey via DIY maintenance, if you really want SLs but are worried about maintenance. Personally, I never signed 'the contract', I never took a course, but I did pay for SLs so I'm a customer like anybody else and not beholden to brand policies. This customer may be a unique niche for some of her consults to go after, afterall. Why lose all the business when you can have some of it? Some people are like me and just don't want to or are not able to reach a consultant timely.

Selah.
    Sharing is caring with my Nappturality family

I'll write more about it in my blog soon, so visit often!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 06-24-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 5 Years Of Sisterlocks, The Verdict is In

Your locks look so thick and soft... I have traditional loc twists now... everything feels the same as when I used to try to look my hair the other way... trying to keep it as neat as possible...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

3. Thanks KnottyAuthor thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the summary NA, I did wonder how you found SLs compared to your braidlocs. So much of what you say rings a bell. I'm stunned that it's 6 years already.

Your locs are looking amazing.

DeBe

5. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey sis...5 yrs flew by indeed. It did feel like 4evah the first 2 yrs, then time flew. It also helped that i wasnt watching them like the first journey. I just lived and enjoyed life. I still cut them back to arm pit length/shave sides monthly and go. Anything longer than that takes too much hairstyle 'planning'. When I feel that way I purge the negative energy and cut. So far, it's working for me so far. I remember getting really disgruntled when I gained length with my BLs. They were so much work and heavy and took so much planning to keep a curl/do a bun/everything.

Recently, I cut off another 2-3 inches, shaved my under-cut, put some braids, let a few on top 'out' = happy! And, I still have a nice low OR high bun. the refresh/reboots are giving me life and longevity with this set. I do think of lose hair from time to time...but then I think of all that work and planning and get exhausted #pass.

Oh, and the patch up front is greying-in time for my 50h this month. Woot! 12 yrs locked (I think)...keep it goin'!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	11166
    Thanks for your continual support!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 07-05-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    locked since '06

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

7. Likes bespectledbeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your 2 yrs is better than my 3 yrs. That's how long it took me to really like my locs. Basically when they were long enough to tie back and ignore, plus the constant slippage finally stopped.

I'm also 12 years in and still doing nothing much with mine... they're scraping my posterior and far too thick to throw up in a bun. Undercut... hmmm... that sounds a great idea to get rid of some of the weight of my hair... maybe it'll allow bunning too. *thinks*

We're so walking the same patch of our journeys, I've a good sprinkling of greys also, but the henna covers it for the most part. I have to seriously think to cease the colouring soon if I'm to get the natural ombre grey I love so much.

I have to take my hat off to you for your dedication of going through this SL journey to get the experience. I've been reading your website and blog.

Are you working in the hair industry full time or still in your former career? You seem to have done so much since I last read through your blogs. I'm holding out for when you create hair products, I'll happily pay the shipping fees.

Oh! Congratualtions on what you've achieved to date. I'm seriously impressed.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't create products. Never say never...but I'm not very interested. I really prefer to educate and empower. I've gained so much from embracing my own journey, I am thrilled to help others take charge of theirs. Plus I believe in ingredients so much more than products. Truthfully, to promote a product, a market of co-dependency must be fostered and nourished. That goes against my mission. If that happens, i'll fall into it and it would have to be DA BOMB. ha.

Thanks for your support(always). FT I manage an Oncology Research Network. I'd love to do my passion FT (I think); but, I have peace embracing my passion. Once upon a time I was highly frustrated. However, timing is everything. I'm happily working in Clinical Research. When time affords, I'm ramping up the business again....we'll see how this goes!

I say undercut!!! it's the best of both worlds as you can see!
    locked since '06

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Cheleski! Thank you for sharing your story. After SisterLocking four times in eleven years, I`am finally learning from my mistakes. I loved my first set of locks of six years. Those were cut off a few years before my mother passed! My hair being loosely coiled did not help. Coloring my hair dried it out which allowed it to lock in the beginning. Then it began to bunch and unravel from the ends due to the conditioners in the dye. I was so upset with my last set of SL, I cut the colored locs off! This set of SLs were birthed in March. I love this set! I`am all natural! You know I`am an advocate for DYI when it comes to re-ti! After my first re-ti, one of my locs unraveled. I put it back into the pattern and next thing I knew, I had retightened my whole head! Enough of my rant, my friend. I know the youngins love you-tube, but it takes too much time to record, edit and upload. I think this OG will stick to blogging.
    NubianLockedPrincess

http://nubianlockedprincessNYC.blogspot.com

11. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a difference in traditional locks... when I look them up all locs look like traditional locks...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CNG-My first set were braidlocks(2006-12).
    2nd Set (2013-now)My consultant installed standard/large sisterlocks. I wasnt fooling around with small/micros and DIY.
    There's a huge difference and there's different types of traditional locks as well. Not all are maintained and maintenance technique vary, impacting the formation of the lock. So, to me, all locks do not look the same and I can spot the differences immediately. Sisterlocks are standard from install to maintenance and controlled by rotation formations, tool and grid alignment for a uniformed lock formation.
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 08-11-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    locked since '06

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey NLP!!! I miss you!!!!! I'll look for your blog again. So glad you are still trying!
    locked since '06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast