Likes Likes:  3
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chit Chat| The absurd things people say and do around natural hair.

You know, I did my big chop 8 years ago, and I remember the absurdity of things people would say and do but since its been several years that had mostly stopped. Well now that I have my starter locs, I'm experiencing the following phenomena that are a mixture of hilarious, annoying, and down right rude. Please feel free to add to this list!

-Hands in hair. Particularly hands other than YOURS. They are grabbing. Before they even ask. Like why are you touching me? Its white folks and black folks alike and im ready to cuss them allllll.

-Giving unsolicited opinions on my hairstyle of choice. Like their in, and my decision is made, so if you're not going to tell me how great they are, you can just not say anything. A select few of people have been like "oh but I like your other hair". But I never asked you.

-Did you cut your hair?!? We have to stop this. Especially black person to black person.

- White people in the office|
    When my hair is straight "Ohhhhh I REALLY like your hair. It looks soooo good."
    When my hair is natural *silence*
    When I have a wig on " Ohhhhhh i Really like your hair. It looks sooo good.
    When my hair is natural *silence*.
    They don't understand how micro-aggresive their so called affirmations are. Don't only compliment me when im close to white. White aint right

Smh

Are people still pissing you off about your hair?

2. Thanks LBellatrix thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Chit Chat| The absurd things people say and do around natural hair.

Yes, that's the way it goes.

I've had locs for 12 years now, so I've got used to the comments, I don't worry about them. I think I have a "back off" look about me because I've only remember one stranger touching my hair without permission (family's done it, but that's fine) and it was a grown **** black woman. My locs were below waist length and she was standing behind me on some escalators. I guess she thought I wouldn't feel her touching them, but I felt it clearly. I spun around to see what was brushing on me, only to see her pulling her hand back. She looked up was shocked, and apoiogised, but really! Who does that?

DeBe

4. Thanks Brown.Beautiful thanked for this post
    Likes Brown.Beautiful, LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No but truly, who does that? Who touches another person without their permission just a stranger?
    Especially when it's a sister.
    People are odd.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm coming up on 23 years natural and YES, people are still pissing me off about my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown.Beautiful View Post
    - White people in the office|
    When my hair is straight "Ohhhhh I REALLY like your hair. It looks soooo good."
    When my hair is natural *silence*
    When I have a wig on " Ohhhhhh i Really like your hair. It looks sooo good.
    When my hair is natural *silence*.
    They don't understand how micro-aggresive their so called affirmations are. Don't only compliment me when im close to white. White aint right
    It has been over 18 years since I've worn any kind of added hair outside of a wig on Halloween (more on that in a bit). It's been close to 15 years since I last straightened my hair (more on that in a bit). I have seen some really cute short curly crochet hairstyles I'd like to try involving a mix of colors (black with a bit of silver, but also a bit of purple or blue) but I know good and damn well how people at work are going to react.

That (orange and red, straight, APL) wig I wore to work on Halloween as part of a frigging COSTUME? I made it all the way to 3 pm before somebody -- a white man -- said I should keep wearing the wig.

And then just last week I wore my hair in a pulled-back braidout and another coworker -- a black woman -- said my hair had grown a lot and "what are you going to do with it?" I said something about crochet styles but inside I was like ...this is someone who did the BC but immediately went back into wigs and crochet styles because she didn't feel "feminine."

I have been at this job for a little over 4 years now. I interviewed with a BAA, I started with a BAA. I cut my hair down to a TWA last year, kept it short for a while, then started growing it out again. I have quite a bit of silver in the front and you can see all of it when I pull my hair back (which is how I wore it all last week). I am one of only two black women in my office whose hair isn't straightened or hidden beneath a wig or extensions. The last time I wore straightened hair to work black women who had never said boo to me were all like, "Oooh, your hair is so pretty like that, you should keep it like that." That was 15 years ago and I'm STILL mad about that....and it's the main reason why I continue to wear my natural hair in its naturally nappy mostly-4b state.

Since I've decided I'm going to grow my hair as long as I can for as long as I can (because I'm not a spring chicken anymore; my next BC will be my last BC), and since it's unlikely I'm going to loc, I will at some point wear the kind of updos on stretched hair that look more "white." But that's at least a year off.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    And then just last week I wore my hair in a pulled-back braidout and another coworker -- a black woman -- said my hair had grown a lot and "what are you going to do with it?" I said something about crochet styles but inside I was like ...this is someone who did the BC but immediately went back into wigs and crochet styles because she didn't feel "feminine."
    Today this same co-worker ran up to me and said, "Look! I got a perm! I couldn't take it anymore!" I already knew she was anti-natural so I just shrugged and said "do you...I'm done talking..."
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang, for real? What did she say to that, lol?
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Napia Mia View Post
    Dang, for real? What did she say to that, lol?
    Oh, she just laughed and went on about her business...

Actually today she had her hair in a little 90's Halle Berry style like the one I used to wear back in the day. It did look cute on her.

I'm still really ready to try something drastically different. I just need to steel myself for all the ignorant comments I'm going to get from people at work.

10. Likes Napia Mia liked this post