Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OMG, my edges - getting older and, wow, life is stressful

That sounds interesting. I'm wondering if the fuzz turned into actual hair at some point.

For me, I'm trying to kick the growth can a bit further down the road. I'm happy I rediscovered it. I've been digging a bit, and they ran ad campaigns in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. That makes sense considering my mom's age. Whatever the reason, it's turned me back on to it because it helps with other things too like digestion, bones, muscles, and detoxification. I'm officially in the land of perimenopause now, so I'm sure my hair will take a hit from that too. My bones definitely will, so it's time to bring in backup.

Anything that can help me get though this is appreciated.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure the fuzz actually turned into hair. I saw the couple regularly for about year and did not see hair...just fuzz. But the husband was happy with it, lol. I have since lost contact with them.

3. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 months on my hairline is filling in.

My regimen:
    emu oil
    Jamaican black castor oil
    Alter ego cren
    Aphogee every 6 or so weeks
    biotin gummies and vitamins

I usually mix the emu and black castor oil together and apply to my edges before bed, in the morning, and after I wash/condition my hair. I use Alter Ego Cren after I wash/condition before I twist my hair.

It seems to be working. Slowly, but it's working. Oh, yeah, and I try to drink a cup of goat milk daily. Read a blog post about it helping someone's hair grow. Not sure if that's right, but it tastes better than cow milk, so I'm in.
    Last edited by Scribetastic; 03-10-2019 at 06:05 AM.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

5. Likes Old School Hair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The struggle continues--- I love JBCO and still use my lavender oil and jojoba. I think the best thing we mature ladies can do with our hairlines is to protect them at all costs. No rubbing, no pressure, no brushing or overmanipulation. I have also found my hair grows in waves of thick then then. I had a thyroid problem which caused some major thinning around my hairline but since that's been treated, it is filling in again. I must say though, I'm not adverse to putting on a wig with a satin band a few times a year and wearing for about 2 weeks to completely hide from the UVs and rest my hair completely. It works for me.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

7. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Likes Scribetastic, Old School Hair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    The struggle continues--- I love JBCO and still use my lavender oil and jojoba. I think the best thing we mature ladies can do with our hairlines is to protect them at all costs. No rubbing, no pressure, no brushing or overmanipulation. I have also found my hair grows in waves of thick then then. I had a thyroid problem which caused some major thinning around my hairline but since that's been treated, it is filling in again. I must say though, I'm not adverse to putting on a wig with a satin band a few times a year and wearing for about 2 weeks to completely hide from the UVs and rest my hair completely. It works for me.
    Yep. the struggle IS real.

I saw an old pic of me in my late teens, and I had edges. I was in the bad habit of wearing non-satin headbands for a long time. I'm certain that didn't help.

I also rediscovered gelatin and collagen supplements and do that consistently. I had to prep for a colonoscopy recently and all the research around that led me to info on the value of gelatin supplements. I then remembered my mom would mix a pack of Knox gelatin into her orange juice regularly. I'm already aging really well, so this will only help me stay on track with that. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and can see the difference in how quickly my nails are growing, which I never cared about. I'm sure it's also having an effect on my hair. That just takes longer, but my sides are filling in nicely. It's the area of my edges halfway up to the top of my head that are just struggling. They're slowly filling in, so they're recovering from years of neglect.

This really is just a big kick in the butt to get it together. I'm firmly in middle age now, so I need to take care of myself and stay on top of my health issues. If I don't, it's going to show. The stress of surgery was maybe a Godsend.

9. Likes Old School Hair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's still happening to me too! I've always had a pathetic hairline. I have had some success with lavender oil and jojoba massages though. I've been doing this for about 4 months now (since my last post here) and it has made a big difference. There are so many snake oil remedies out there claiming to regrow thinning hair. Lasers, nanotech shampoo (I kid you not). Not convinced any of them work. Increased blood flow is the key though. If you can get that happening you should see some recovery.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

11. Likes Scribetastic, Old School Hair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post

I'm going to need to toss or donate all of the ones that are porus cotton for sure. I also know of this brand https://www.graceeleyae.com/. They have satin-lined headbands, so once the job situation gets better (and let's hope that's soon) I'll order a few of these products.
    I have 2 of the Grace Eleyae caps. Overall, I love them....but one is really loose now, and at time slides off my head when I sleep! lol

13. Likes Scribetastic liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Popping in because I always seem to do when I give myself an Aphogee treatment.

My edges are filling in, but it's 2022, and it's still an issue. I figure entering menopause isn't helping.

Quote Originally Posted by OHR View Post
    I have 2 of the Grace Eleyae caps. Overall, I love them....but one is really loose now, and at time slides off my head when I sleep! lol
    And it's all satin hair stuff all the time. I use the Stay on Satin brand sleep caps. I've not tried another brand because those stay on my head. I toss and turn so a plan scarf isn't going to work. I've tried.

Satin hair stuff has been a thing since posted last. I also found some really great folks making different satin headbands on Etsy too as that's another option.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am using emu oil and Jamaican black castor oil too.

16. Likes deecoily, Old School Hair liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12