Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Awe man. It's Official...

Mine too

I had sucess stopping excess shedding with adaptogens that help your body naturally regulate its own hormones (DGL licorice root extract, maca powder, or ashwaganda worked for me). However, I ran out and have been too lazy to price hunt (they can be expensive), so I've been shedding like crazy. My shower can't drain after 1 or 2 wash days and my scalp is becoming visible. I need to get back on track.

I've also found that ayurvedic plants (especially neem oil, and shikakai or amla powder), rosemary essential oil, and vitamin E oil help too. Lavender EO works too but it's cytotoxic and photosensitive so I try to avoid it.

I usually take the adaptogens internally on a daily basis and only take 1 of the 3 at a time, not all together, depending on what I can get a hold of at a reasonable price. The other stuff (except ayurvedic powders) I mix into my conditioner with EVOO and other growth promoting stuff, then leave it on with a plastic cap from a fews hours to overnight before washing out. The shikakai and amla powders are more annoying and messy to use because you apply them like henna... I've been meaning to find out if there is such a thing as shikakai or amla essential oil but haven't gotten around to that either, LOL.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks calla2. Your reply is much appreciated. I'll definitely look into these possible remedies. I'm pretty dang sure this is hormonal. I had my thyroid checked earlier this year and it was normal. If it doesn't excelerate I could live with this. My mom had thinning hair, but dang it didn't start thinning until her 70s and 80s. So i really kinda bummed about this.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

calla2 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your welcome. Stress is another huge factor, as well as diet (I follow biblical dietary laws with nearly no processed food), toxins in personal care products, not getting dead cells off the scalp well/often enough, and constantly pulling the hair back into buns or other tight styles/scarves/wraps.

The other "stuff" I put into my pre-poo are to stimulate growth (like cedarwood EO, clary sage EO, argan oil, and a tiny bit of cinnamon or peppermint EO since they can irritate). My hair grows extremely slow so I can't vouch for the overall length benefits of these ingredients as much, but my edges definitely started to fill in a bit and became lower/closer to my eyebrows than they've been my whole life when I used these regularly. When I need a boost of protein, I'll just add some pure aloe gel from the fillet only or coconut oil. Also, everything I add to my conditioner is certified organic. I add everything to 8oz of conditioner and shake vigorously by hand... it makes enough for about 3 wash days/uses, so it's not taxing to whip up at all.

I hope this is as bad as it gets for you and me both, but at least we have some options, LOL (they are many other ingredients I haven't tried personally so I didn't mention them). I only shampoo with authentic African black soap which I chop up, melt in water, and add a bunch of low shed/growth promoting ingredients to make a liquid shampoo, so it stops shedding too.

5. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hang in there. We mitigate my mom's thinning with clips. there are so many great clips now to help minimize thinning now.....
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 10-14-2018 at 05:11 PM.

7. Thanks LBellatrix, AuNappturale thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the club, NM...

I've been thinning in that same spot for a couple of years now. Also, the hair on the right side of my head, which has always been thin, is getting thinner. However, because I still wear WNGs pretty much exclusively, the only person who notices is me. When I wear my hair stretched out and pulled back, that's when it's noticeable to me and probably to others as well. Right now the only comments anyone makes about my hair involves my increasing amount of gray, lol.

My sisters are younger than me but both of them have been thinning for longer than me. The youngest's is at least partly due to her Sisterlocks IMO. I've never seen anyone who's been wearing locs for long periods of time (15 years plus in my sister's case) who hasn't experiencing some form of thinning.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

calla2 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    Welcome to the club, NM...

My sisters are younger than me but both of them have been thinning for longer than me. The youngest's is at least partly due to her Sisterlocks IMO. I've never seen anyone who's been wearing locs for long periods of time (15 years plus in my sister's case) who hasn't experiencing some form of thinning.
    Wow, I always warn people about those heavy traditional locs causing traction alopecia/premature balding, but this is the first time I've heard that it happens with SisterLocks too. I thought SisterLocks were safer because they're much thinner and lighter. Maybe the thinner and lighter doesn't matter because the square area it is attached to is also much smaller, so the proportion or scale of tension remains the same. Scary.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, this topic is timely from me - coming back from self-induced internet hibernation...

I had a health scare in January this year that put me in the hospital... it involve my heart and my thyroid.

Making a long story short, I've been put on medication for heart and thyroid (hopefully I can stop taking this mess next year) that has wreaked havoc with my body, hair and nails. Then they overdosed me and everything stopped. Ended up in care again. My nails turned orange and went like tissue paper. I gained about 20 pounds almost overnight. My hair.... It's like it just STOPPED growing and when the shedding phase came in, it shed like crazy and thinned out. Still healthy (what's still there) but definitely not normal. So my hormones are making me angry.

So right now I am doing cornrows and wearing wigs for full coverage and to give my hair and scalp time out of the elements and in complete rest.

I'm also using lavender oils and JBCO with Cantu Ant-Breakage oil. I hope my hair recovers. If not, well I'll shave it off again and start over.

Ahhhh. Life changes.

11. Thanks KnottyAuthor, AuNappturale thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey LBellatrix,

Well this is a club I’ve never thought I’d be a part of, at least not till much later in life if not ever.

Yeah I believe that stress isn’t helping nor is the fact that I’m on so much medication for various reasons.

Ever since my mom died, my six year long health and fitness routine has all but derailed. I’m doing good to get in two a three runs a month. That’s a far cry from swimming and or running nearly everyday.

But I have been reasearching some hair growth solutions. There are some promising treatments out there beyond minoxidil.

Dee so sorry about your health and hair problems. I swear getting older is a total b.

That said, I’m pretty sure I’m looking at knee replacement surgery in my future. DAYUM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    You know, this topic is timely from me - coming back from self-induced internet hibernation...

I had a health scare in January this year that put me in the hospital... it involve my heart and my thyroid.

Making a long story short, I've been put on medication for heart and thyroid (hopefully I can stop taking this mess next year) that has wreaked havoc with my body, hair and nails. Then they overdosed me and everything stopped. Ended up in care again. My nails turned orange and went like tissue paper. I gained about 20 pounds almost overnight. My hair.... It's like it just STOPPED growing and when the shedding phase came in, it shed like crazy and thinned out. Still healthy (what's still there) but definitely not normal. So my hormones are making me angry.

So right now I am doing cornrows and wearing wigs for full coverage and to give my hair and scalp time out of the elements and in complete rest.

I'm also using lavender oils and JBCO with Cantu Ant-Breakage oil. I hope my hair recovers. If not, well I'll shave it off again and start over.

Ahhhh. Life changes.
    that is basically it... I don't know how to fix hair thinning where it falls out close to the scalp...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast