Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Converting to Freeform Locd

Hello fellow lockers.

I have started a new loc jorrney and I am approximately 3 months into the process. I began with comb coil twists but it has been over 3 weeks since my last retwist. However when I noticed all the new growth, it made me reconsider my future direction. So now, I would like to forgo any further stylist manipulation and let it grow naturally. So my question are :
    1.What are your general opinions ?
    2. If you have had a similar route, do you mind sharing your experience/ outcome?
    3. What would be the best way to proceed in regard to the maintenance, assuming this is a good method?
    4. Is it even possible to switch/ or ill advised?
    Life is an interlude to Death

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Converting to Freeform Locd

I'd say go for it and continue to monitor your hair closely. I have actually tried free-forming as it would fit my lifestyle perfectly for almost two years.

What I learned is my hair texture is very soft, loosely curled in many areas, very fine strands all over and low density, will not support free-forming as my new growth is not as strong as the locked portion and strands were breaking away from the loc. I've also observed that this did not happen because of the small size of my locs either, as I have several locs that I combined early on in my journey that ended up big and this is where the issues I noted above showed up more so than my smaller locs. Also because I have high sebum production, I have to be able to get to and scritch my scalp frequently to keep it happy.

The conclusion that I have come to in my experiment; while it is great to get advise from others and take it into consideration or even apply the advise given, one really needs to consistently "listen" to their own hair and let it be the ultimate guide on what you should do and do not be afraid to change course when your hair tells you to, even if that means breaking the "rules".
    Last edited by msfullroller; 01-21-2019 at 06:57 AM.
    Natural since 11/06/2006
    DIY Braidlocked and maintained since 8/23/2008
    www.ceraisis.net

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Converting to Freeform Locd

Hello all. I began with comb coils years ago but quickly realized that my hair did not appreciate being twisted or palm rolled often. My hair is tightly coiled and locks easily so over the years I allowed my locks to form and grow as they wanted. I wash, condition and seperate my roots. I also do hot oil and henna treatments and keep my hair moisturized with Oyin Handmade's Frank Juice.

Like Msfullroller pointed out, if you want to take the path of least manipulation go for it and keep an eye on how your hair responds so that you can give it what it needs. The journey is yours, so do not overthink it. Enjoy it.

Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry.
    It merely astonishes me.
    How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company?
    It's beyond me.

Zora Neale Hurston