Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hi there

Hi! My name is Whitney. Technically I have always been natural but I was taught to keep my hair in braids, wigs, weaves, pressed. Honestly I don’t even know what my hair truly looks like because I will take it out of one form of braids, wash, blow dry and it will be braided again the following day.
    I don’t have patience when it comes to hair and makeup so I figured if I need to take this much care of a wig that will eventually get thrown away I may as well take care of my own hair which will last until I decide to cut it. Saturday the wig is coming off and the hair is coming out.

Really excited, really scared.
    Any advice is welcome.

2. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hi there

Hi Whitney and welcome!
    It is perfectly natural to be scared. I was scared too. I hadn't seen my natural hair in about 15 years when I first went natural.

How long is your hair now? Do you have any pictures you could share with us? Let us know what products you are using. My advice for you would be to first, not use harsh shampoos that contain sulfates. They aren't necessary and will dry your hair out. Use a moisturizing conditioner and a leave in that doesn't contain glycerin in its first 3 ingredients.

Hope to see you soon!

Dee
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how long my hair is since I won't be taking it out until Saturday and it was trimmed before it went into a weave, in October, and I'm sure I have damaged it since that time with the back to back braiding.

The only products I own are a shampoo for relaxed hair, it was on sale lol, and a couple different oils. Coconut, rosemary and olive oil, and I think I have some shea butter. I have a couple heat protectors but I haven't used them in a while or know where they are.

I am creating a list of everything I will need to buy for this first month of getting to know my hair and how to use products. I mixed and matched these products from a lot of different articles I have read and a couple different YouTubers.

Shea Moisture Jamacian Black Castor Oil Shampoo OR Eden Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Tree Natural Shampoo
    Aussie Moist Conditioner
    Eden Bodyworks Jojoba Monoi Natural Deep Conditioner
    As I Am Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner
    Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream
    Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Curl Defining Creme
    Styling gel/edge control
    Brushes
    Scissors

5. Likes OliviaGeorge liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All those products look good! You will need to do a little experimenting to work out which products work for you. Personally I like the Cantu products and Eden Bodyworks is good too. Aussie Moist didn't work for me, but it may work for you.

You will need to test your hair's elasticity too because that will give you an indication of how well it will respond to different conditioners. Check out this article to learn more about it. And This article explains all you need to know about hair growth and structure.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

7. Thanks feedinghissheep thanked for this post
    Likes feedinghissheep liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WhitneyLiz View Post
    Hi! My name is Whitney. Technically I have always been natural but I was taught to keep my hair in braids, wigs, weaves, pressed. Honestly I don’t even know what my hair truly looks like because I will take it out of one form of braids, wash, blow dry and it will be braided again the following day.
    I don’t have patience when it comes to hair and makeup so I figured if I need to take this much care of a wig that will eventually get thrown away I may as well take care of my own hair which will last until I decide to cut it. Saturday the wig is coming off and the hair is coming out.

Really excited, really scared.
    Any advice is welcome.
    I have no patience either! I’m thinking about doing a head full of loose braids, as I’m too lazy to lock! ����
    I HAVE HIDDEN THY WORD IN MY HEART THAT I MIGHT NOT SIN AGAINST THEE, PSALM 119:11

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, locking is definitely a journey and you need to be 100% committed to it. Don't venture into the loc world until you're ready!
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very informative reply.