Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: So, Natural Hair is Mainstream Now? We Are Not.

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    TW: language (bleeped where needed)

This video was posted yesterday (10/23/21) and the longer I watched it, the angrier I got.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just vent in here...and the fact that this is the only place I feel comfortable venting may partially answer the question I'm about to ask, which is: Why isn't natural hair mainstream yet?

I've long claimed to be a student of history, and as such, I've said many times that when it comes to the African diaspora accepting itself fully, "it takes a long time to turn a big ship." However, I've reached a point where every time I see one of these pieces, especially in "mainstream" outlets like The Economist, I'm like: Why are we still talking about this? Why, now that we're fully one-fifth of the way into the 21st Century, is the care of so-called "black hair" still being described as though it's 1900?

First off: There are a lot of people who identify as black who don't have so-called "black hair." Can we get specific about our terms? We're talking about highly-textured, tight curls and coils...the kind of hair that doesn't hang, doesn't swing, doesn't blind you with its shine, and basically is the opposite of straight hair, which too many of us are still using, wrongly IMO, as the benchmark. This type of hair happens to be most common amongst people of sub-Saharan African descent but there is no such thing as "black hair" (or "mixed hair," while I'm at it).

Second: The TWA works in EVERY work environment. I said that back in f***ing 1995 and I still say it today. So I'm not hearing anyone complaining about how they "can't" wear their natural hair at work. Something else I've been saying for f***ing ever: Not every natural hair STYLE may be suitable for every workplace, but that doesn't mean you can't find one that IS.

Third: How much of this ongoing struggle with highly-textured natural hair is because of THEM (white folks) and how much of it is because of US? There's more information out here now than ever before...so what's really the problem here?

Fourth: Who the F*** is putting ONION JUICE on their hair? What the hell is that supposed to do?
    (Disclaimer: I'm coming up on 2 years doing the Black Girl Curls method and seeing a curl stylist for regular trims. After 20+ years of having done nearly ALL THE THINGS (tm), I'm no longer interested in experimenting or wasting a significant chunk of my limited free time on hair. And yeah, it started out a little pricey, but the amount of time and energy I've saved and am saving is more than worth it.)

Fifth and final: I remember saying back when NP started that hopefully someday forums like NP would no longer be necessary. I see more naturals out here than ever before and yet there are still pieces like this video being done, which takes me back to why I started writing this in the first place. I realize that The Economist is UK-based but there's enough American information in that video (including the mention of The CROWN Act, which is kind of insane to me but that's a whole other subject) to make me wonder.

If you're read this far, thanks for listening/reading.
    I just finished watching the video and I actually liked it. I love any videos about natural hair. Love seeing natural hair on videos.
    I'm lucky that I live in Denmark. Danes don´t have the same mentality. If it´s your natural hair, why isn´t that professional? That´s what a Dane would wonder. They never really understand why a black woman would put on a wig, if she has a whole head of hair underneath and is not bald from chemo.
    Most especially in the summer time when black women have heavy wigs on in the heat...

"How much of this ongoing struggle with highly-textured natural hair is because of THEM (white folks) and how much of it is because of US? There's more information out here now than ever before...so what's really the problem here?"
    Good question. I personally believe it´s because of "US". Lots of black people have an inferiority complex when it comes to their hair. We cannot continue blaming the colonisers for that. We need to take ownership and challenge any barriers to wearing our hair natural in any workplace.
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to watch this and come back to comment.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This hair oil is combined with Neelini (Indigo), Bhringaraja, and other botanicals in pure coconut oil to penetrate deep into the scalp, nourishing the roots of hair and cooling your head, making it one of Ayurveda's treasures.

Bhringadi tailam

Hair fall and premature greying can be reduced with this all-in-one therapy. Hair may be rejuvenated with regular usage. Because it's made in tiny amounts for a precise balance of cow, goat, buffalo, and coconut milks, our Neelibhringadi has a distinctive rich colour and increased strength.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember in 2006 when I was only 14 years old. I had spent that summer getting healthy- doing toning exercises, focusing on my skin, soaking my feet nightly, and eating vegetables every night. I transformed myself inwards to outwards. I received my last perm in Oct of 2006 while a freshman in high school, but since around March 2006 had been an avid reader on Nappturality. This forum helped me to learn and grow, on a much deeper level. To see how natural hair became a commodity- as you all say hot but for all the wrong reasons, felt like the whole natural hair thing should have just remained underground or among those who truly wanted to be themselves and not change their natural selves. It?s not 2023, almost 17 years later since I stumbled upon Nappturality and I just want to thank you ladies for pioneering such a great and monumental time in my life. Although life hasn?t gone how I planned, it?s still lovely and when I need to find a root, I still come here. Thank you.

5. Thanks deecoily thanked for this post
    Likes curlyteaconsult, deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It definitely changed at some point and I can't even put my finger on when the change happened. It seems like I looked around one day and people had moved away from some important things and started to focus on chasing commercial products

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by curlyteaconsult View Post
    It definitely changed at some point and I can't even put my finger on when the change happened. It seems like I looked around one day and people had moved away from some important things and started to focus on chasing commercial products
    It happened when social media took over the narrative from individual forums and groups --- and with that came the commercialization of our natural hair by white men. Just like everything else about us, it became all about money and others capitalizing on our desire for "better hair" even better NATURAL hair. The products came out of the woodwork.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

8. Likes Hadasah liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12