Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Here - need help

Hello,

i was really excited to find this forum. I transitioned for 2 years after having my hair relaxed for many many years. My hairdresser cut off the last of my straightened hair in July. The 2 years were long and I wore buns or braids most of that time. Now that i only have natural hair, i have found some products that work for a wash and go. i like wearing my hair out now that it is finally finished transitioning. i was so tired of wearing it up all of the time. My hair is in some places a few inches below my shoulder and in others around chin level. I wash or co-wash once a week or less (10 days sometimes), sometimes deep condition, put product in my hair, pineapple it at night, sleep on a satin pillowcase and then just take it down in the morning. THis wash and go lasts for the week or 10 days staying moisturized. i sometimes refresh product around my edges. My problem - a TON of my hair comes out every time i wash. in fact, the amount of hair looks like a small black rodent. i have heard that you have to lose a lot of hair before you will notice that it is getting thinner and i would just as soon not wait for that. I don't notice a difference in the apparent thickness of my hair (other than my temples are much thinner than they ever were when i was relaxing my hair, but that may be due to age and hormones). I never lost this much hair when i was relaxing it. Any suggestions? SORRY for the long post. Thank you for reading!

2. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Here - need help

Hey CurlyJac welcome!

It sounds like you had an amazing transition. The shedding thing may just be normal for you. I shed a LOT of hair too and was kinda worried about it for awhile. Does it ALWAYS shed this much of just some times when you wash? With some of us, hormones can make you hair shed more than usual but when you re-balance it picks right back up. That is what has happened to me. I wear long-lasting protective styles and when I take them out I notice more shedding that I used to BUT my hair does not seem to be thinning. It is less dense than it was in 2000 but I went through a phase where I swore I was thinning out. I cut it short again but now it is back to its thick self that takes me hours to do LOL.

A normal shedding rate is about 100 hairs per day, so multiply that by 10 days and you have 1000 strands of hair! Unless you notice your hair getting thinner or changing texture, I would not be worried about it. Just keep an eye on it.

Also are you sure it is all shed hair or is some of it hair that has broken off? You can tell if you check the ends for a little hair bulb. No bulb = breakage. If there is a bulb, it has shed from the scalp. That's worth a check too.

Check out these articles I wrote recently on shedding hair and growth cycles.
    Hair Growth Explained
    Maximum Growth

Hope this helps!
    ~Dee~
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for the quick response! I had read both articles (along with others and some posts) before posting but I really appreciate the personal communication.

I壇 say most of the hair has the bulbs so likely most is shed. I do have a lot of short hairs around my face so I知 guessing most of that is broken off hair. I do shed a lot with every wash although it痴 always more when I cover my gray (about every 2 months.) The tangles are outrageous and worsen with the coloring. Sometimes I feel like I知 ripping my hair out although I知 very gentle (usually).

I知 curious about experimenting with protective styles to stem the shedding but, as I said, I really love being able to wear my hair out with not too much time or effort expended.

Well thanks again. I知 so glad to have found this forum and again really appreciate the response.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're very welcome!

Yep it sounds like normal shedding. We all get broken hairs around the face - it happens naturally with brushing, manipulation, friction and tracking. Plus it's an area that gets max exposure. So everything seems normal to me! Hormones will play havoc with hair too. Whether it's menopause, pregnancy, puberty or medication-induced causing fluctuations and imbalances.

Wear your hair the way you love it. That's one of the great things about natural hair, the diversity of it!

If you get a chance, post a photo or two. I'd love to see your hair

~Dee~
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~