Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hi!Need advice on length of time having a style

Would it be okay for me to have this style in from Sept 16 until Dec 25th when I'll get a different set of braids for Christmas?I just have concerns about edge loss or traction alopecia happening.I asked this question first on yahoo answers and someone said it's not advisable because it will mean BO lol, any advice on that as well?I'm gonna be using this Cantu root relief stuff as well for scalp cleansing and to alleviate itching.

https://s.yimg.com/tr/i/d6aee000ebe3...085bc43_A.jpeg

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hi!Need advice on length of time having a style

Hey IcePink

That style is amazing. I do have a few concerns - it will have to be braided very tightly to keep it in place and tight for 3 months, and the weight involved with that much extension hair will be add stress on your scalp increasing over time. My main concern is that your edges will suffer and you will end up with some level of hair loss because of the tension. Then to put your hair right back into a tension style really is not recommended. Is there any way you can have it re-done at the halfway mark?

Make sure the extension hair is washed before you put it in. A shampoo and ACV rinse will get rid of the chemicals on it that can make your scalp itch.

I use Cantu and it's a great product line. When my hair is in extensions I use the ACV Root Rinse instead of shampoo and that makes the style last longer because I don't mess with it at the scalp.

Let me know.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it will be possible to have it redone at the halfway mark as it might still be too expensive at that point and this is specifically for the special occasion of my birthday. I've heard of the technique for placing the extensions in ACV to prevent itching of the scalp. I'll try to get that done this time around as I've never really used that technique before, having just read of it recently.

The thing is I've already been getting braids back to back since 2016 getting them done at an African braiding salon in the Bronx for the first time ever. Following, I have had the braids in for months at a time and I've found them to be very convenient as I'd been dealing with a life situation and it was nice not to worry about hair styling.

However 1. I am still worried about long term effects even though I don't think I've suffered any damage. The style I've always gotten, never switching it up, have always been side swept braids with only the recent addition of two braids on the other side as a set of bangs. I've also used pink braiding hair most of the time but have never submerged it in ACV but will start doing that and while I'll come back to light pink braiding hair later, it will be a normal jet black next time.

2. I actually do want my hair to get a break in between from now on, so all things considered I have about 2 questions after typing all that lol

Would flexi rodded curls be a good break for about 2 weeks in between? Also, I've considered just doing some form of a natural ponytail as tbh, outside of braids, I never really know what to do with my 4C hair and I just don't want my hair to take up too much of my life in general.

The second question is, would any of these styles be a better option for this length of time?

https://pin.it/q6rfaalwegx2yr

Or perhaps these box braids?
    https://pin.it/7hnigqceqlmrm2

Truthfully, I do think that ponytail style is really only something I should have in for about 2 weeks. But I still wanted a second opinion.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I get what you're saying and I understand.

Flexi rods is a good alternative to do in between styles. It is easy to do and if you do it right, it will last. Have you tried doing two strand twists on your hair? Twistouts are so easy - and you can make a twistout last by wrapping it up with a scarf. Try Bantu knot-outs. They last longer than twistouts and if you do them on wet hair with gel they will last a week with proper care. When they start to look raggedy, I wrap the front of my hair with a scarf and have a curly puff out the back. Really cute and easy.

I don't know what length your hair is, but check out THIS ARTICLE for some more styling ideas.

The first link you included with the cornrows would definitely be a better cornrow style for the long term. There wouldn't be as many pressure points on your scalp because it's evenly distributed over your whole head.

I really like the box braids in your second link. That would be the style that would create the least amount of pressure all over. Because there is more of your hair exposed, you will probably have more maintenance to do than on cornrows. Hair growth will cause both styles to lift from your scalp a bit - the box braids would be easier to re-do if necessary and you could probably do it yourself.

Hope this helps!
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I've never tried the two strand twists but I I'll watch some YouTube tutorials to make sure I do them right and I did do the Bantu knots on one occasion, maybe I'll give them another try.I really appreciate the suggestions!

Since you like the box braid example I provided before, I think I might actually go with triangle box braids that look like these.

https://pin.it/b5jq7zrahbdytq

I'm still interested in the ponytail braid style, however, if I were to hypothetically get them, do you think I could circumvent damage by taking them out around the beginning of October?

Either way, that braid appointment's being put on a bit of a hiatus, I wanted it done for my birthday and ordered braiding hair over the internet but now I'm still waiting to get an update on the shipping process after ordering a week ago lol.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You I'm going to be expecting some pictures when you're done right?
    ~Dee~