Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Help! random bald spots with funny feeling scalp *Thread noob*

So I'm abit depressed, I've been looking for a a natural hair forum to post this on cause i need help.
    I am a little over 4 years natural, my hair length is a mystery and if i were to guess, the longest parts is somewhere around armpit length, 4C high density, low por, and medium thickness.
    I recently ran into moister overload, and gave myself a protein treatment, problem is the protein treatment i made was too strong and i got protein overload. However by the 3rd day, i was told to try a bentonite clay mask to fix the problem, in which i did and my hair was saved, soft, and a tangled free mess. So it seemed.
    I noticed my scalp was oddly itchy, but i figured it was do to excess oil on my scalp because that's what happens when i put too much oil in my scalp. My scalp is naturally oily, and i saw excess oil there so i figured that was what it was, and dabbed some of the oil out.
    Fast forward to this week, I was doing my weekly deep conditioning, Someone told me that i should try pure aloe vera gel, and leave it in my hair and rinse it out after 15 minutes as it helped her hair. I Applied the gel thoroughly with some water on my hair and scalp, i saw a some hair's on my hands and a Some in the sink, but nothing alarming or more than usual. I then put on a cap and left it on for 15 minutes, my scalp was abit more itchy and tingly with a little stinging, but i didn't think much of it. I then did my normal deep condition with Aussie moist with some honey and olive oil in it as honey makes my hair extra juicy, soft and moisturized when i use it correctly, and if i abuse it, i end up with moisture overload or a sticky mess.

Well this time i used a different brand of honey, still raw and organic, but it was darker, i heard darker honey was more potent and beneficial, so i thought it would work well. I Also used much less honey than i normally do, like about a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half. Were as before i used about 2-3 tablespoons. I worked it through out my hair and left it on around my normal time, abit shorter , almost about 2 hours. I felt that same dull itchy, tingly, slightly stinging feeling on my scalp and started getting concerned that my hair might fall out for some reason, and i didn't want moisture overload again. I knew when i add honey to my conditioner, the amount of time i can deep condition drops. so after two hours i rinsed my hair out, with no hair in my hands or sink. But to my HORROR i saw a Random bald spot spawn on the side of my head that was not there, i was like "WTF??!" i quickly put on my glassed and looked in the mirror in horror. I have no idea were tf it came from or why! , i quickly tried to wash the rest the conditioner out an went through my hair panicking, expecting hair to just be detaching from my scalp and falling in clumps, but low and behold, no hair (my hair was in twists so i was unraveling them and retwisting them) I didn't have so much as a tiny bit of ball hair come out. "WHERE TF MY HAIR GO??!".
    My hair seemed fine, no signs of moisture overload, soft,tangled free and none in my hands. IT JUST VANISHED FROM MY SCALP.
    Later i found another one on the other side of my head, two more to be exact and i am DEFEATED. I don't know what happened, or what's causing this and i'm afraid it will spread and all my hair will just fall out. My scalp still has a weird sensation a.k.a a scratchy and slight stinging sensation. But there is no redness in my scalp at all, not even in the bald spots. Im so scared and shook. Because i just completely filled in my entire head of bald spots that i had from perm damage YEARS back and now i got BRAND NEW bald spots right after i just filled the last ones in COMPLETELY!. IT's NOT fair!

My question is, does anyone know what i could have done wrong??! Was it the protein overload i had last week? and if so why why didn't i have the bald spot until today?, I see my hair all over every single day, there's no WAY i could miss it. IT couldn't have been the bentonite clay because i've used it before with no ill results. The only thing i can think of i did differently, is the Aloe gel, and using different honey. But i don't know which one! and i'm to afraid of losing more hair to try and see what did it.

It's really discouraging, because i take pride in having high density 4C hair, something i hated for the longest, hair so thick you can't find my scalp, seeing my hair all of sudden look scalpy with bald spots HURTS. My spots also don't look like a perfect circle like Alopecia , it's just kinda random and irregular, around my edges and towards the front and top and sides. The first one i saw goes in almost a straight/ diagonal almost zigzag like line. the fear of being set back in my growth for the gazillionth time just upsets me so much. Any advice and opinions would be appreciated.

Added info. I do not do the most with my hair and only been protective styling in for the last few years shampooing it, twisting it, moisturizing it, and leaving it alone under wraps and bonnets. . My hair seems healthy right now besides the damaged parts. IF i unravel my twists it's super defined, shiny, and juicy. I babied it for a reason. To slow down my breakage and to get growth, and so far it has proven to work. I feel like my hair just disrespected me..

Right now im looking to get some bitoin as its worked on my hair before, but things like castor oil and wild growth did nothing for my hair growth.. But i'm completely open to any other suggestions. thanks.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help! random bald spots with funny feeling scalp *Thread noob*

Wow, I am so sorry you are going through this! Don't panic, it will be fine.

The first thing I noticed about your story was that the tingling first started after the bentonite clay. So that may be where the issue started. It sounds like you had a reaction to it first (and just because you have used it before, doesn't mean that you can't ever have a reaction). It may be the combination of the protein overload with the clay, but the fact that you had scalp irritation/tingling after you applied it pretty much makes it clear what caused it. You wouldn't be the first person to have this happen.

You say that you didn't notice much hair coming out on your hands or in the sink- unless it dissolved it came out somewhere but it's hard to know if it was when you first washed it after the protein treatment. I don't think it's that important thoough. But I think that you need to simplify your routine for a while until you get this under control.

Right now, the only product I would be using on the places where your hair has come out, is coconut oil. I know you said that you have oil buildup sometimes but coconut is a really good fatty oil that will soothe those bald spots. You can add a little lavender oil which has some anti-inflammatory poperties but that's it. Your scalp needs to recover with as little stress as possible. If you have to wear scarves wrapped around your hairline and at the top until you ge through this, do it. You need to keep those areas protected until the hair begins to grow back in.

Are you still having tingling or stinging? When does this happen?

Biotin is a must. Don't overload on it - just take the highest recommended dose.

Give it a couple of weeks, then I would try the Essy Hair Growth Oil which has caffeine in it. I would not use this until you are sure there is no inflammatory action happening because it can irritate and accellerate a problem that is already there.

Also, check the bottom of this thread - there will be some topics automatically listed that have been talked about before related to bald spots. Check them out. Also do a search on the forums for more information.

Let me know.

~Dee~
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

4. Likes fefestyle liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    Wow, I am so sorry you are going through this! Don't panic, it will be fine.

The first thing I noticed about your story was that the tingling first started after the bentonite clay. So that may be where the issue started. It sounds like you had a reaction to it first (and just because you have used it before, doesn't mean that you can't ever have a reaction). It may be the combination of the protein overload with the clay, but the fact that you had scalp irritation/tingling after you applied it pretty much makes it clear what caused it. You wouldn't be the first person to have this happen.

You say that you didn't notice much hair coming out on your hands or in the sink- unless it dissolved it came out somewhere but it's hard to know if it was when you first washed it after the protein treatment. I don't think it's that important thoough. But I think that you need to simplify your routine for a while until you get this under control.

Right now, the only product I would be using on the places where your hair has come out, is coconut oil. I know you said that you have oil buildup sometimes but coconut is a really good fatty oil that will soothe those bald spots. You can add a little lavender oil which has some anti-inflammatory poperties but that's it. Your scalp needs to recover with as little stress as possible. If you have to wear scarves wrapped around your hairline and at the top until you ge through this, do it. You need to keep those areas protected until the hair begins to grow back in.

Are you still having tingling or stinging? When does this happen?

Biotin is a must. Don't overload on it - just take the highest recommended dose.

Give it a couple of weeks, then I would try the Essy Hair Growth Oil which has caffeine in it. I would not use this until you are sure there is no inflammatory action happening because it can irritate and accellerate a problem that is already there.

Also, check the bottom of this thread - there will be some topics automatically listed that have been talked about before related to bald spots. Check them out. Also do a search on the forums for more information.

Let me know.

~Dee~

Thank you so much for your response!

I guess it could be possible it was the clay, i've had random allergic reactions in the past to things i was never allergic to,only for it to go away again and not be allergic to it anymore after a few months. Like silver jewelry/rings i wear everyday.
    I do somewhat remember some people saying not to put bentonite on your scalp and apply it ONLY to hair. As some of them said it did stuff like gave them headaches and things. I applied it everywhere generously as i was desperate to save my hair, it was a tangled, dry, hard mess. Do people reguarly report hair loss do to bentonite?

I will keep my hair covered, as that's what i've been doing for the last couple years, so i guess no changes there.

My scalp still feels tingly, and itchy, it just kinda comes and goes and is very mild/moderate. The itchiness had died down a couple days after the clay, that's why when i did the aloe vera and the honey deep conditioning. I Got concerned because i felt the tingling and itchiness increase to more of a stinging sensation. Which alarmed me enough to the point i had a bad feeling that hair would be lost. There are/were places that had this sensation but didn't develop bald spots, as of yet. It all seems to be random spots on my head. Every now and then i get a slight weird sensation in my bald spot.

I plan on taking 10,000mcg of biotin as that was the dosage that worked for me in the past. I'll also look into the growth oil, but more than likely not be able to get it now because i don't have enough money to be able to get/afford it. But since you said wait to use it, i guess that works just fine as well.

And thanks for the recommendation! i'll check the thread out.

6. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Flower, I don't have anything do add but I do hope that your hair grows back.

Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry.
    It merely astonishes me.
    How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company?
    It's beyond me.

Zora Neale Hurston

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnRain View Post
    Hey Flower, I don't have anything do add but I do hope that your hair grows back.
    Thank you so much!, i hope so to, and i hope i don't lose anymore hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

Sadly y'all i found another bald spot.. still have no clue where the hair is falling out at as i have found no excess hair anywhere, not on my pillow not in my hand,bonnets,nothing. My scalp is just dumping hair for whatever reason. I fear i may just go bald... I can only hope that maybe i missed it and it came out previously like last week or somethin and im just now seeing it. Because last week was the week i saw the most hair out, however it was complicated as i had alot of shed hair in my hair that had not been thoroughly detangled from my protective style for months (not thoroughly finger detangling). But between the protein overload, clay, and everything else anything is possible.god forbid if my hair is still actively falling out. It's just so weird as times in the past when i got severe breakage and lost alot of hair, it was OBVIOUS, i had a huge clump of hair and you could see how short my hair got afterwards and how uneven it was. leading me to cut off the remainder of the long pieces and starting over.
    Right now i've started taking the biotin. If it becomes clear that my hair is falling out not stop everywhere, and i lose too much hair i will be forced to have to take a L and cut all my hair off once again and start over.. Having high density helps greatly as i am able to hide them, but there's only so much i can do. I would like to add that my bald spots though have smooth skin that you can feel, aren't completely bald literally, there is still hair in that area, but very sparse low density that is shown more when my hair is parted in twists or something.

I am in my late twenties, i started my natural hair journey in my late teens and transitioned. This tells you how long i've been at this. It's a never ending circle of setbacks so i can end up with short hair again. I feel like eventually i'll get to 30 and STILL be big chopping over and over because my head is just so weird. Everytime i think i find a product that works, it randomly stops working and my hair hates it. Sometimes it feels like i was just ment to always have short broken hair. No ones hair is supposed to be THAT complicated. I've had bald spots since i was a child, i started getting them when i started getting perms regularly, but they cause little to no problems because they were always hidden, well hidden beneath all my hair as thin,fragile, and lifeless as it was permed. When i first big chopped, i was shocked at how LARGE they were, you would have thought i had no hair. cutting my hair short and having super shrunken 4c hair made it look terrible. When you have like 90% hair shrinkage, bald spots can look hideous.

Wish me luck, I still have alot of thick hair on my head and its not worth cutting at all just yet, the only thing i've done is some dusting and trimming of my ends. And the small left over bald spot i had from perm damage completely filled in within 4 weeks after adding some things to my regimen and is getting thicker and longer, while other parts are falling out (Weird i know ) i hope i can win this battle with my hair/crown...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostMyWeave View Post
    Sometimes it's not the products. Has your lifestyle changed? Did you recently change your diet? Lack of certain fats/oils can cause some spotted hair loss.
    Not that i think of, i eat healthy and organic,haven't been to a fast food joint in several years, and i am fit and exercise. The only thing i know i've done differently is i haven't taken my multi-vitamins in a while.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone in your family have this condition? If you have had it all your life it may be genetic - or it may be linked to some other blood or autoimmune problem.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    Does anyone in your family have this condition? If you have had it all your life it may be genetic - or it may be linked to some other blood or autoimmune problem.
    Nope, i don't know anyone else in my family who goes through this. The only thing i know is male pattern baldness runs on my dad's side, and im not a male. I have the thickest hair amongst my immediate family, most people on both sides of my family have very fine strands and very low density and a slightly looser texture (more 4b ish that 4C). Though most of them have never attempted to grow out their hair either besides my aunt who has dreads, and one grandmother who has long silky curly hair, she used to have 4C hair but people on that side of my family hair changes as they get older. She went through a kinda instant transition, where her hair was acting wonky/crazy and she shaved it all off and it literally grew back in 3B-3C. It also grew in finer and thinner and a lower density. I don't think that's whats happening to me though, Yeah my hair has shown signs of the early stages of texture change but only in the back has the texture started loosening,she never reported bald spots and itchiness. That just sounds like straight up irritation, plus majority of my strands have been doing the opposite and have gotten thicker over the years instead of finer. And it didn't happen until she crossed 50. My father' her son, hair started off 4C and loosened and got thinner also, both his head a facial hair. His hair turned into a weird straight haired afro (its afro textured but straight at the same time). So i know there is some weird gene on my fathers side that gives you thinner looser textured hair, but without irritation. But that's the closes i'll get to relatives experiencing hair issues or weird things with their hair.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm, It's really strange the way you are not seeing hair come out and the spots are just appearing like that. I think that if it continues you may need to go see a dermatologist - trichologist who can maybe shed some light. It may even be hormonal. The stinging though - that says allergy to me. That's a reaction usually from something external coming into contact with your scalp. You don't want this to spread or continue without treatment.
    ~Dee~

14. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast