Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adoptive Mama Needs Help!

Hi All,
    Newbie here.
    I'm an adoptive mama to 2 biracial girls. My youngest has the kinkiest hair and there is SOOOOO much I don't know. Hoping to find answers here.

We got her first braids recently (she's 2.5). I'd been trying to learn on my own and had to find the pros cause it wasn't working at all I realized so many things I didn't know that my black friends didn't know to tell me because it was such basic info. Like braid on dry hair!!! LOL. I'd always tried it wet because that's how I do mine and I thought the point of a protective style was to do it when the hair is wet and keep the moisture and product in. Now I'm kind of confused. I usually deep condition once a week and try to do a protective style afterwards (puffs, twists, etc). I can't get most styles to last more than a day. I'm wondering if the hair needs to be completely dry before doing any styling for it to hold? Should I blow dry or air dry? Blow dry seems to go against the whole point of deep conditioning the hair. If it air dries, her curl pattern is set and I don't really like to disrupt it - it looks so good! Also, don't know how much the mixed hair differs in it's tendency to pull out of a style. It seems like her curls have lots of slip.
    Help me - I know even less than I thought and I didn't start with much hahaha.

2. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Adoptive Mama Needs Help!

Hi there!

Welcome to Nappturality and bless you for adopting your girls.

Don't be afraid to ask any question here - Black hair is unique and can be challenging especially if you are starting from scratch. The braid on dry hair thing - yes if you braid from the scalp, it can get too tight when it dries. BUT you can still braid wet you just have to adjust the tension. I braid my hair wet because I know how much tension I can apply. I find that when I do this, my hair does stay moisturized for longer and the "out" style lasts longer. But like I said, you have to adjust the tension and braid to the ends - then tuck under until it dries.

Different styles last longer than others. Afro puffs only last a day because you can't leave elastics or barrettes in her hair overnight. Twists last a couple of days, then the twistout another couple of days. Braids will last the longest but braids can put too much tension on her hair and cause hair loss so you need to be very careful. Braids should not hurt when they are done and if they do, the tension is too high. A little discomfort is normal but it should not linger.

To extend styles, get a little satin bonnet for her so she can sleep in it. Also, lightly twist or braid her loose hair up at night. This will help keep her hair easy to style for the next day. If you can put a little leave-in at night before you twist or braid it, that will also help save time in the morning.

I know she's only 2.5 but you can help make hair time easier by encouraging her to put her own hands into her hair and help you style it. Make it fun for her and she will become more accepting of you trying different things.

I would not blow dry unless it's with a diffuser to help dry her scalp. Blow drying will disrupt her curl pattern and if it is too hot, the pattern will not return. Mixed hair - a combination of European and African hair has its challenges, every girl is different though and if it is of a looser pattern, the style will slip. The tighter the curl pattern, the better it holds the style, the more shrinkage it has. So yeah, it's all different.

You are doing the right thing. Work WITH their hair and not against it and you'll be alright

~Dee~

Quote Originally Posted by MrsWhatsit View Post
    Hi All,
    Newbie here.
    I'm an adoptive mama to 2 biracial girls. My youngest has the kinkiest hair and there is SOOOOO much I don't know. Hoping to find answers here.

We got her first braids recently (she's 2.5). I'd been trying to learn on my own and had to find the pros cause it wasn't working at all I realized so many things I didn't know that my black friends didn't know to tell me because it was such basic info. Like braid on dry hair!!! LOL. I'd always tried it wet because that's how I do mine and I thought the point of a protective style was to do it when the hair is wet and keep the moisture and product in. Now I'm kind of confused. I usually deep condition once a week and try to do a protective style afterwards (puffs, twists, etc). I can't get most styles to last more than a day. I'm wondering if the hair needs to be completely dry before doing any styling for it to hold? Should I blow dry or air dry? Blow dry seems to go against the whole point of deep conditioning the hair. If it air dries, her curl pattern is set and I don't really like to disrupt it - it looks so good! Also, don't know how much the mixed hair differs in it's tendency to pull out of a style. It seems like her curls have lots of slip.
    Help me - I know even less than I thought and I didn't start with much hahaha.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~