Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I need help with this journey that I am about to embark on, started with interlocks.

I am so ready for locs, I'm 63 and totally gray (it's pretty). The girl that started them in April just left her clients. I found someone else,but I am ready to do my on and I'm unsure as to how do I proceed. I am locking but thin at the roots interlocked the last few months. So I wonder how long will twisting the new growth last before I interlock again. Already the strands are thin because of the tightness used when interlocked, it took three washes and a lot of soothing product to reduce the tension please help! I live in a small town and don't have 3 choices.

2. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I need help with this journey that I am about to embark on, started with interloc

WOW and welcome!

Congratulations on your decision to loc your journey.

The first thing that hit me is that the interlocking hurt a lot and it took a long time to soothe the pain. That shouldn't happen. A little discomfort is normal but not that much. If it hurt that much, you have probably lost some hair at the root. And you would not notice this thinning for a few months. This is probably what you are seeing now. The good news is that your hair will grow back in if your follicles were healthy in the first place, it will take time.

For now, I would wait a longer time between interlocking until you can feel some thickening of your hair at the scalp. I don't know how long you are waiting now but however long, double it. When you retwist, do it lightly. If you are going to interlock yourself, do not interlock to the scalp - at least not until you can see some hair filling in. You can try using a light oil containing caffeine on your scalp to encourage hair growth, but like everything with locs, patience is the key. How is the hair along your hairline? Are your locs there holding firm?

If you can post a photo I can get a better idea of what you're working with.

Hope this helps you!

~Dee~

Quote Originally Posted by dshadec View Post
    I am so ready for locs, I'm 63 and totally gray (it's pretty). The girl that started them in April just left her clients. I found someone else,but I am ready to do my on and I'm unsure as to how do I proceed. I am locking but thin at the roots interlocked the last few months. So I wonder how long will twisting the new growth last before I interlock again. Already the strands are thin because of the tightness used when interlocked, it took three washes and a lot of soothing product to reduce the tension please help! I live in a small town and don't have 3 choices.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~