Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any Tips for a Relaxed Newbie?

Before I start, I should mention that I'm still fairly young (16 to be exact) so don't judge me too harshly

In January, I finally had enough of my mom choosing everything for me since everything she wanted I either didn't like the look of, or caused me too much pain to feel worth it. I chose to have it relaxed as it really helps with the pain and I personally think it looks really nice. My only problem is that she never taught me anything regarding hair care other than "Shampoo and condition it once a week" (I really don't agree with this. I find that my hair looks and feels much better when I condition it multiple times a week). She still has to style it for me, which I hate because I want to be able to grow up. At its longest, my hair reaches my jawline, so there's not too much to worry about yet. I'd like any help you can offer in protective styles I can do myself and with the hair on my head so I can finally get my own routine going and she won't have to baby me anymore. I'd also appreciate any product recommendations since I need to buy more any way. Thanks in advance, ladies! <3

2. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any Tips for a Relaxed Newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by NaturallyRichie View Post
    Before I start, I should mention that I'm still fairly young (16 to be exact) so don't judge me too harshly

In January, I finally had enough of my mom choosing everything for me since everything she wanted I either didn't like the look of, or caused me too much pain to feel worth it. I chose to have it relaxed as it really helps with the pain and I personally think it looks really nice. My only problem is that she never taught me anything regarding hair care other than "Shampoo and condition it once a week" (I really don't agree with this. I find that my hair looks and feels much better when I condition it multiple times a week). She still has to style it for me, which I hate because I want to be able to grow up. At its longest, my hair reaches my jawline, so there's not too much to worry about yet. I'd like any help you can offer in protective styles I can do myself and with the hair on my head so I can finally get my own routine going and she won't have to baby me anymore. I'd also appreciate any product recommendations since I need to buy more any way. Thanks in advance, ladies! <3
    Hey, welcome here. Do you want to stop the "lye" and go natural?
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely want to after graduation. But for now I’m keeping it relaxed.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello there and welcome!
    Relaxed hair is already damaged hair, so when your hair is relaxed, you can only try and minimize the damage getting worse and breaking your hair off. As long as you are relaxed, just condition and if your hair is fine, don't use direct heat. Use a leave-in with protein. If you are thinking of transitioning, it's important to understand that you will need to transition your mind as you transition your hair.

Check out our transition quiz - https://www.nappturality.com/transitioning-quiz

It sounds to me like you are wanting to assert some style independence! Start thinking about beginning your transition especially now that you are probably on lockdown like the rest of us during this pandemic!

~Dee~
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~