Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is your State / Country doing? How do you feel about it?

I'm currently in Australia where we are in a country-wide shut down. Most businesses have closed and we are under stay-at-home instructions. No gatherings outside of over 2 people. On the spot fines for people who don't follow the social distancing rules. Only things open outside essential services are supermarkets. Schools are closed because parents kept kids at home.

The country has basically shut its borders and if you arrive here now you are placed into forced quarantine for 2 weeks.

Millions have lost their jobs but today the government announced that if companies keep people on their payroll during the pandemic instead of firing them, the government will pay every employee $1500 per fortnight. The unemployment benefits have been raised to $1200 per fortnight for those who have no job to get back to.

People in small towns are ganging up on non-local people coming to their towns to escape. Some supermarkets in smaller towns have instituted "locals only" policies and won't allow people outside the area to shop there so supplies aren't hoarded.

The curve is flattening here but not fast enough. My family is in Rhode Island and Massachusetts so I'm keeping close tabs on what's going on there. Our family new normal is talking on ZOOM every other day. We've got elderly parents locked up at home so we need to keep an eye on them and make sure they have everything they need. We are in contact with them every day, sometimes multiple times a day. I'm still searching for a good game to play with my Mom over the internet. Any ideas?

Name:  IMG_6099.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  17.7 KB

~Dee~
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

2. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Likes uzuri, ksaunte33 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: What is your State / Country doing? How do you feel about it?

Hi Dee!

I am in Washington, DC and we have been given a stay at home order with the exception of essential errands. A lot of restaurants and retails stores have temporarily closed. Many restaurants are still open with delivery and/or take out options. Supermarkets are open with limited hours. All tourist attractions are closed in addition to street closures. I have been teleworking since March 13. I was able to stock up on food and household items. Target allows you to buy only 1 pack each of toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning products and soap. Things seem to be going smoothly. The hoarding and crowded supermarkets have decreased. Schools are scrambling to set up online learning for students. All universities have cancelled all events including graduations. Public transportation is running on a limited schedule. Residents cannot congregate with more than two people. They are issuing citations for residents who don't comply.

Although this is a challenging situation, I try to maintain my gratitude. I have a warm and comfortable place to stay with adequate food and other essentials. I still have my job - I am teleworking. I pray constantly for the well-being of others. I believe we have yet to reach our peak although our numbers are small compared to most major cities in the US. I'm hoping the stay at home order will help flatten our curve.

I'm playing Words With Friends with many of my friends in other parts of the world. Perhaps that is a game you can play with you Mom. I talk to my parents every day to check on them. They live in Chicago and are doing fine.

Thank you for starting the thread. Really appreciate it.

4. Likes uzuri, deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What is your State / Country doing? How do you feel about it?

I live in Denmark. I work night shifts as an LPN at a Nursing Home, every other week. We have not had any residents with Covid-19. I think the tough restrictions have really helped. In all of Denmark, no visitors or deliveries allowed inside the Nursing Homes. If you have anything to deliver, you put it outside, and when you´re gone, the personnel takes it in. The students are all at home and get assignments from home. Most people are at home, unless they have a job that does not allow close contact with people. The Government is going to help self-employed people and others. Some supermarkets have a lines on the floor to make sure everyone keeps their distance. Some have a plastic kind of wall for the cashiers.
    Keeping in touch with family via WhatsApp messages or video chat.
    Keep safe everyone!
    Last edited by uzuri; 04-01-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

6. Likes deecoily, ksaunte33, OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Florida-stupid is as stupid does.

8. Thanks deecoily thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Southern New Jersey Here!!!! Stay at home order in effect and wearing mask when going for essential items. I work in Healthcare and I am an essential worker so its hard for me to stay in when I have to be at work. I just pray everyone think about others and protect not only you but them and we will get thru this.

10. Likes deecoily, uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in Ohio, where Governor Dewine has said on May 1, we're slowly opening things up. Bars, restaurants and gyms. I'm very interested in exactly how this is gonna look like.

12. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am from Texas and it seems to me that many here are not so serious about the pandemic as they should. We need to be careful and responsible.

14. Likes deecoily, uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still see that people walk quietly down the street and walk, it alarms me. I wish it all ended soon

16. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in Kansas City, Missouri and the state is tryin to sue China now.

Luckily, our mayor had stay at home orders in place around the time most other states were implementing it. I'm glad they are having us stay at home. I miss going to the gym and grocery shopping, but I'd rather get this out of the way now and be done before this has to go on longer than it needs to. Too many people are dying.

18. Likes uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hearing so many different stories from all of you --- I wonder how all this is going to work out because as long as people can travel, the virus will spread. They have really locked us down hard here and our numbers are declining fast BUT we are heading into flu season so stay tuned.

This virus is relentless and if we don't come up with a vaccine (like we didn't with H1N1) we are in for a world of hurt for years. I don't think we are going to go back to life pre-COVID. Ever.

One thing that is positive is the Environment of our planet is rejoicing. Young people in India are seeing stars in the night sky for the first time in their lives. I saw a story where an entire village had never seen the Himalayas from their village even though they are right next to the mountains, because of the pollution. People were on their roofs in awe because the pollution has cleared.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

20. Likes ~GAN~, uzuri liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast