Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default From natural to relaxers to natural all over again :)

Hi. My name is Arame (pronounced air-uh-me) and I’m 18 years old. My natural hair journey has just began for me, I big chopped my hair back in March. My relaxed hair was looking a hot mess and I couldn’t hold on to it any longer so I grabbed them scissors and I cut it all off.

Admittedly I’m not as in love with my hair as I used to be as a child. Back then my hair was very long and flourished and we had a good relationship but then in middle school I ran into a problem with bullying and my insecurities got the best of me, so I asked my mom for a relaxer. Since then I’ve been getting relaxers in my hair and cutting it and experimenting. There would be times when I would revert back to natural, but never for long. This time I’m sticking with natural and staying far far away from chemicals.

I have lost all knowledge about my hair so now I’m getting to know it all over again. I hope to get back to the crown that was once mine, wishing and hoping <3

2. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: From natural to relaxers to natural all over again :)

You're in good company! Congratulations on your brave step.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: From natural to relaxers to natural all over again :)

Hello and welcome Arame! (beautiful name)

Congratulations on making that first big step. I am so glad to hear you got out those scissors and chopped off those ends because that's the quickest way to jump right in to your nappturality. You are unafraid girl.

We all have to start somewhere and you seem like you've been doing a lot of changes over the years. Please understand though that even though you have cut it all off, you still need to know that you are still transitioning --- with your mind. Natural hair is a complete turnaround from relaxed in care, styling and feel. Products will be different, bad hair days will be different. The way you see yourself will be different. The way others see you will be different. People offer unsolicited opinions - out of concern, out of love, out of dismay over what you did or what you are going to do.

TAKE THE GOOD AND IGNORE THE REST!

And don't get caught up in fads, or what other people are doing on YT. Your hair is unique to you. Not all products and procedures will work for you. Your results will be different from others' results. And that's exciting. That's YOU.

I am always here to offer advice when you need it but look around the forums where we've built this library of information over almost 20 years.

Share some photos when you get the time, I'd love to see you in your TWA!

Much love,
    ~Dee~

Quote Originally Posted by QueenArame View Post
    Hi. My name is Arame (pronounced air-uh-me) and I’m 18 years old. My natural hair journey has just began for me, I big chopped my hair back in March. My relaxed hair was looking a hot mess and I couldn’t hold on to it any longer so I grabbed them scissors and I cut it all off.

Admittedly I’m not as in love with my hair as I used to be as a child. Back then my hair was very long and flourished and we had a good relationship but then in middle school I ran into a problem with bullying and my insecurities got the best of me, so I asked my mom for a relaxer. Since then I’ve been getting relaxers in my hair and cutting it and experimenting. There would be times when I would revert back to natural, but never for long. This time I’m sticking with natural and staying far far away from chemicals.

I have lost all knowledge about my hair so now I’m getting to know it all over again. I hope to get back to the crown that was once mine, wishing and hoping <3
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~