Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default help with dry, thick, nappy hair!!

hello!! im 13 and have thick hair up to about my shoulders on the front of my hair and to my armpits in the back. my mom always had me go to the hairdresser when i was 9-12 and in january of this year i got a perm. right now my hair is thick, dry, the roots and back of my hair are very fizzy, thick, and nappy. and the roots all around my hair stand up as if its in a ponytail. but the front of my hair is straight. i never learned how to properly do and take care of my hair at all. the products my mom makes me use makes my hair the exact same as it was before the next day, even when i wash my hair it still looks bad. and also my hair hasnt grown for years and recently ive been very sad about my hair and i got bullied a bit cause my hair looked like a ‘birds nest’ also my hair is naturally straight, ive never seen it curly but after the perm i got the roots got curly?

thanks if you can help me!!

2. Thanks Old School Hair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: help with dry, thick, nappy hair!!

Hi Gabby,
    So sorry to hear about your hair problems! I can tell you now the good news is that you are young and your hair will grow back! It sounds like you have had a bad perm. Permanent chemical processes are damaging, even if they are done right. The reason is that the chemical process breaks the bonds in your hair to make it permanently straight or curly. And hair on your head processes at different rates so an unskilled hairdresser can make it so your hair is very damaged in some sections and still textured in others, if they don't apply it correctly. You will notice this more when your hair is wet. You will then experience breakage on the areas where it was overprocessed. You need to apply a keratin protein treatment to your hair first. Then try and refrain from washing it often and when you do, use a gentle shampoo. You may have to buy your own hair products because you will need some specific types. Do you have any photos you can send in?

~Dee~

Quote Originally Posted by gabby3386 View Post
    hello!! im 13 and have thick hair up to about my shoulders on the front of my hair and to my armpits in the back. my mom always had me go to the hairdresser when i was 9-12 and in january of this year i got a perm. right now my hair is thick, dry, the roots and back of my hair are very fizzy, thick, and nappy. and the roots all around my hair stand up as if its in a ponytail. but the front of my hair is straight. i never learned how to properly do and take care of my hair at all. the products my mom makes me use makes my hair the exact same as it was before the next day, even when i wash my hair it still looks bad. and also my hair hasnt grown for years and recently ive been very sad about my hair and i got bullied a bit cause my hair looked like a ‘birds nest’ also my hair is naturally straight, ive never seen it curly but after the perm i got the roots got curly?

thanks if you can help me!!

"The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

4. Thanks Old School Hair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know how to post a picture here so heres a link https://imgur.com/a/cfdYZ5u
    Name:  hairhelp.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  11.5 KB

6. Thanks Old School Hair thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the photo. Now I can see what you're working with.

Your hair ends are damaged and I can see that very clearly. The reason that your hair is thicker from the scalp and halfway down is because this hair is healthier and thicker. That is a good thing. It looks like the perm may have taken more at the ends of your hair which is why it is straighter than near the scalp. The relaxed ends - they are so damaged, and you need to make a choice here. You can cut them off and work with your healthier hair, or you can relax the healthy hair to make it match the damaged hair - and yes this would be damaging and your hair will need extra care to stop it from breaking off.

My advice to you is to cut the damaged ends off. I know you are young and will need some help with this - it is difficult in this pandemic though and I don't recommend going to a salon. We are kind of stuck. If you trim just a little at a time, it may be easier, but you will need to trim the ends regardless.

To work with your hair in the easiest way, section it into 4 sections, front to back and ear to ear. Use a leave-in conditioner and detangle your hair with a detangling brush like a tangle teezer or denman brush, from ends to roots, then put a big two-strand twist in. You can sleep in your hair like this.

Then in the morning take out the twists and fluff out your hair, Pull it back with a headband or scarf and you will have a nice curly style to wear. You can make more sections and smaller twists for more curls. Use a gel or defining cream in the morning to set your curls and seal in moisture.

That's all you need to do for a while. It's easy and cute. Be sure to sleep in a satin bonnet or scarf so your hair holds its moisture and doesn't dry out overnight.

Let me know what you think.

~Dee`
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

8. Likes Old School Hair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This right here is why I rejoined nappturality as a paid member. Taking time to help and providing practical advice. Man why did C2shair leave? Don’t know but coming back as C2WsNapps was a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    Thanks for the photo. Now I can see what you're working with.

Your hair ends are damaged and I can see that very clearly. The reason that your hair is thicker from the scalp and halfway down is because this hair is healthier and thicker. That is a good thing. It looks like the perm may have taken more at the ends of your hair which is why it is straighter than near the scalp. The relaxed ends - they are so damaged, and you need to make a choice here. You can cut them off and work with your healthier hair, or you can relax the healthy hair to make it match the damaged hair - and yes this would be damaging and your hair will need extra care to stop it from breaking off.

My advice to you is to cut the damaged ends off. I know you are young and will need some help with this - it is difficult in this pandemic though and I don't recommend going to a salon. We are kind of stuck. If you trim just a little at a time, it may be easier, but you will need to trim the ends regardless.

To work with your hair in the easiest way, section it into 4 sections, front to back and ear to ear. Use a leave-in conditioner and detangle your hair with a detangling brush like a tangle teezer or denman brush, from ends to roots, then put a big two-strand twist in. You can sleep in your hair like this.

Then in the morning take out the twists and fluff out your hair, Pull it back with a headband or scarf and you will have a nice curly style to wear. You can make more sections and smaller twists for more curls. Use a gel or defining cream in the morning to set your curls and seal in moisture.

That's all you need to do for a while. It's easy and cute. Be sure to sleep in a satin bonnet or scarf so your hair holds its moisture and doesn't dry out overnight.

Let me know what you think.

~Dee`
    If it’s nappy, it’s good.(:-)

10. Thanks deecoily thanked for this post