Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Uneven hair growth or hair stopped growing

I don’t want to write too much and have people lost in content so I’ll just jump straight to it, to make a long story short, I’ve been loc,d up since Christmas 2019. I’ve noticed that my front locs are either not growing or growing slower than my locs in the back of my hair. Locs in the back are around 4-5 inches when not stretching the loc itself. The front it’s only about 2-2.5 inches and some Locs even shorter. I’m not sure what’s going on here but I decided to wear them in braids until the front catches up to the back.........HOPEFULLY

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Uneven hair growth or hair stopped growing

Hi @Benniebob95,

Hair grows at different speeds around your head, and at the hairline it is often much slower than anywhere else. Do you mean the first loc sections around the front of your head or many rows back? How big are your loc sections? With smaller loc sections, you will notice difference is growth speed more than if you have large loc sections.

Also Dec - May isn't a long time for your locs to settle, how did you start your locs?

~Dee`

Quote Originally Posted by Benniebob95 View Post
    I don’t want to write too much and have people lost in content so I’ll just jump straight to it, to make a long story short, I’ve been loc,d up since Christmas 2019. I’ve noticed that my front locs are either not growing or growing slower than my locs in the back of my hair. Locs in the back are around 4-5 inches when not stretching the loc itself. The front it’s only about 2-2.5 inches and some Locs even shorter. I’m not sure what’s going on here but I decided to wear them in braids until the front catches up to the back.........HOPEFULLY
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    Hi @Benniebob95,

Hair grows at different speeds around your head, and at the hairline it is often much slower than anywhere else. Do you mean the first loc sections around the front of your head or many rows back? How big are your loc sections? With smaller loc sections, you will notice difference is growth speed more than if you have large loc sections.

Also Dec - May isn't a long time for your locs to settle, how did you start your locs?

~Dee`
    Yes, the locs near my hairline, or the front section of my locs are extremely shorter than the back and top sections.

Now my hair has always grown that way, even before locs but I never wore my hair longer than 3 inches ( tapered sides with nappy afro type hair style or fade). The problem I have is since I take monthly update pics of my hair to track it’s progress, it almost seems since January My front loc’s remained the same length and the rest of my locs grew extremely fast.

Is there anything I can do ?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Benniebob95; 05-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Benniebob95; 05-27-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK what you're dealing with is normal - as your locs mature you will see more length in the front. Right now you are in Stage 3 (the teenage locs) https://www.nappturality.com/natural...-starting-locs where your hair is shrinking back up into the locs. If your hair has never grown longer than a few inches then it may be the end of your hair's natural cycle. What will happen is that your hair growth cycle will kick in and your locs will begin to grow again. If you don't know about the growth cycles of hair, check out this article. Locs grow long not because your growth cycle changes but because as your hair goes through the cycles, the shed hair remains in the loc and when the growth starts again the new hairs emerging from your scalp are woven into the loc to continue the length, even though shed hair has already been detatched. Here is another article explaining the growth process. https://www.nappturality.com/natural...owth-explained

From what I can see, your locs are maturing nicely and look very healthy. Your partings were even and your hair and scalp look healthy. This is a journey - things are going to get different as you make your way.

~Dee~
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~