Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Loc build up. Don't know what to do.

Been loc'd for about 1.5 years. Back if my locs is in a state. I don't know where this shit has come from. I use minimal products. But I've been going awhile without washing( month or two gap) so maybe this is the culmination of my neglect. But I wonder why now. I've been doing these gaps in washes since I started and didn't have none of these problems. It's terrible. Is there a way to upload pics?

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Loc build up. Don't know what to do.

Hi @Marselek Brown
    You should be able to upload using the image option. I've changed some settings for new members so give it a try.

Lets see what you're working with.

Meanwhile, check out this article: https://www.nappturality.com/product...keeping-it-out
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey. Nice article. Where do I find the image button?
    Last edited by Marselek Brown; 06-04-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's that little picture of a tree up just above where you type your comments. Click it and a dialog box will appear for you to upload an image.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhhh... I was on mobile mode so I couldn't see it. This is how it looked after an ACV rinse. My hair has never ever looked like this before, I am shook lol. I done anither ACV rinse and it's in a bit of a better state but this is terrible. It's all new to me I've never had these problems before. I just bought the anti residue shampoo and going to try that out and see how it works. I feel like I might have to cut my hair, which will be devestating.
    Last edited by Marselek Brown; 06-05-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my hair today

7. Thanks deecoily thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoo! OK we have an issue there - did you change anything recently, like a new shampoo or do something different? What I'm seeing is a buildup that's flecked throughout the locs, looks like it may be making its way from the core to the outside. Have you been able to pick any of it out to see if it is a totally waxy buildup or is infused with lint?

The last photo showing the locs close to your face look grey - like buildup has coated them - is that the camera lens light or is that what I'm seeing?

What is your loc maintenance regimen? What products are you using? All your products should be CLEAR.

Here's what you need to to:
    Start with your locs dry.
    Spray water on your locs to get them damp but not dripping wet.
    Use a clarifying shampoo and make sure that shampoo is CLEAR in color.
    Rub a generous amount of the clarifying shampoo into your locs, squeezing the shampoo deep inside the locs. You have to get the suds happening. When I say generous, I mean if you use the whole bottle that's fine.
    Once your hair is coated in shampoo, go through each loc one by one and roll it between your fingers from the scalp to the ends, getting that shampoo right in there.
    When you are satisfied that you have gotten the shampoo in there, you need to do a deep rinse. Either in the shower or sink. RINSE and rinse again, squeezing each loc out then rinse it again.
    Shake your locs out and inspect them.
    Do not use a towel or anything with lint on them. Sit under a dryer if you have to
    You may have to repeat this a few times over a week to get all the buildup out.

This may not get rid of all the lint that has tangled up into your locs. You need to remove lint manually with a needle or dye your locs to cover it up if it's bad.

For maintenance, always cover your head in satin at night OR get yourself some satin pillowcases. Stay away from cotton or poly/cotton. Your locs will grab fibers off cotton and migrate it to the core of your locs.

I'd suggest you only use clarifying shampoo on your locs from now on just to keep them clear of buildup.

Reply and let me know how you do.

~Dee~
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote a whole long reply and it got deleted smh. Anywho..

My hair was fine. I noticed some built up/lint(inevitable) so i opted for an ACV rinse. I feel like the ACV rinse has caused this state. My rational is it's brung all the lint (I have digged little bits of it out and all of it is mostly fluff) to the surface. Now I need to find a way to cleanse my hair of all of this. When I pick at it it's not residuey like product build up it's just all fluff that has attached to my locs all over.

My regime is faily simple I am very minimal I use rose water and wild hair growth oil maybe every morning or every other day for moisture. I always wear a scalf to sleep. I am active, sweating and in open air a lot so that may be where all this lint has come from.

Before corona I was mostly going to the salon to get my hair washed and stuff but I've used shea moisture also. I have recently purchased the anti residue nutragena because I saw youtubers recommending it( I might stop listening to youtubers)

can you let me know if these two products are sufficient to get the job done? Also I'm from london UK so some products I might not have access to but please let me know what you feel will work best I need this hair sorted.

Also will clarifying be ok to do everyday over a week? I don't want to damage my hair any further.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sorry you lost your post - it has happened to me too. I am constantly copying everything to the clipboard. LOL honey yes please stop listening to too many youtubers. Every corner store Boomquisha wants to be a hair expert these days and most don't know what they are talking about. Makes me cringe.

Yes ACV can migrate lint from the core because of the acids in it and the effects it has on pH. Its kind of a weird reaction and involves some chemical reactions. I have heard of this happening before and in fact, I found that using ACV on locs long term really can do more harm than good. On the scalp, fine, but not in the locs. If you don't rinse it thoroughly you can create an environment for mold to develop. Yeah, yuck.

Lint is hard to get out. Long strands of fiber are pulled into, bunched up and wrapped around inside the loc. When lint makes its way back out it is usually clumped, and can be removed with tweezers.

Your first option is dye. Most people with extensive lint just dye their locs because lint is not going to be removed by shampoo or soaking like buildup can. This does not stop you from being able to remove lint but it will cover the problem up while you do. If you are not able to dye yourself, a loc-friendly natural salon will dye your locs in a healthy way. Then when you see any lint appear in future, you can deal with it in small patches instead of the major issue you have now.

Your second option is to use the catchy half of velcro and gently use it to pull the loose lint out of your hair. This will work best for lint that is already on the surface of your hair. Your locs need to be fully mature and do this in small sections on the individual locs (don't use it like a brush). You can either press the velcro onto the loc and pull it off or you can use it in short strokes always in a downward motion. If your lint is bad though, you may have to latch back your locs. Depending on your hair texture, this can unravel locs. Your hair looks pretty tight so you should be OK. If you haven't latched before, let me know. You can also palmroll to retighten after using velcro.

I sat with my nephew pulling lint out of his locs for hours. That's also an option if you have someone who will do this for you. Once you get going, it can be a fast process while watching a game or something.

As for your products... The Neutrogena is a good clarifier. I checked the ingredient list and it is pretty clean. But I don't like the sulfates or oil being in it. But it is far down the list of the few ingredients so it may not cause a problem. I am not a fan of Shea Moisture shampoo. It did not do anything to my locs and I found it a little sticky. Whatever you use on your locs should be clear. Always.

You should not need to clarify more than once a week, even with your active lifestyle. Lint generally doesn't come from active outdoors stuff. It comes mostly from direct contact. Even pulling a sweater over your head will cause it. So be mindful of that.
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate all your responses, thank you. I've been thinking if all else fails I would have to dye my hair but I really want this to be a last resort. Can dye be problematic also? I just feel like as a man I don't want to dye my hair. Maybe this come from a superficial perspective but it's just how I feel.

Yeah, I feel like over the years I've been overwhelmed by all the information out there that I didn't take the time to just really find what works for me. I didn't really need an ACV rinse I just thought that it could be beneficial because of the positive youtube responses.

Lint is very annoying.. I feel like it's intertwined in my hair so strongly. Even the little bits I have managed to pick out I can see are digging out parts of my hair. If I was to fully get somebody to try to tackle my whole head I'm not sure what state my locs would be left in at the end of this. I'd rather try to get my hair restored this way than to just immediately dye it tho.

So what steps would you recommend I take? In your first reply you have the clarifying rinse. Should I still stick with this even though the build up is pretty much all lint? Or should I try the velcro/tweezer approach.. or a combo of both. Should I thoroughly wash and rinse with the neutrogena... let it dry and then begin to try and pick out the lint?

Also could you recommend any great clear clarifying shampoos?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast