Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I've always been small-framed, and it's bothered me since elementry school, I guess from being teased and all, people thought me being skinny was due to me being anorexic... and also it's not really viewed as something positive in the AA community, for ex. AA men don't like small-framed black females. My senior year I weighed 103 pds., than after my 1st child I weighed 115 pds., than after my 2nd child I weighed 118 pds, and I still can't see the differance in me weighing 103 pds. to now in which I weigh 118 pds.

I eat and eat, but nothings working. I'm 5'6 and I would like to get up to 150 pds, I'm current ly at 118 pds. Are there any suggestions, anything, something that will work for me? What I have done so far is got on the depo-shot, because it said 70% of women on it will have weight gain. But I need some other guaranteed suggestions. Thank you for your input.

Starr

feepee Guest

Weight training may add a few extra pounds. Make sure to get LEAN protein and compensate the extra calories needed with a balanced diet.

Resistance training may also give you the appearance of more 'meat on your bones' because you'll be sclupting your body as you go.

since i'm not a fan of abusing your body to get results, that's all i can think of.

HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Feepee...add weight training to your regimen. Muscle weighs more than fat. Lean proteins will help you with that.

Also, since your frame is small, you don't want to gain too much weight...you wouldn't look right if you did. Be careful with that.
    "Think, Plan, Execute" ~ Jawar

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eat foods that will aid in healthy weight gain like olives, use olive oil, sweet potatoes,raw nuts ex.almonds etc..,(buy from healthfood store its pretty cheap and not deep fried like the regular ones), wholegrain pasta, nut butters, dried fruit also helps u to gain weight but don't overdue it cause its really sweet.

Heres a weight gain drink that I was told of that is supposed to be really effective with weight gain:

WHOLE LEMON/OLIVE OIL DRINK - WEIGHT GAIN
    This Formula promotes Weight Gain by detoxifying the Liver and !normalizing the Blood pH.

1. Cut up one medium washed Lemon into quarters. This includes the rind and seeds. Place in a Blender.
    NOTE: For a LESS bitter drink, then squeeze the juice of a WHOLE Lemon and use the Rind of a 1/2 Lemon.

2. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of Orange Juice(*can also use 4 tblps. of orange concentrate also) or other Fruit Juice or Water.
    NOTE: ONLY use Water, if there is a Yeast OVERGROWTH Problem!

3. Add 1 tablespoon of Cold-Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil (preferably Organic).
    NOTE: The brand Bertolli is NOT recommended.

4. Blend at HIGH speed for 2 minutes.

5. Pour mixture through a Strainer to separate the Juice from the Pulp and then discard the Pulp.
    NOTE:Use a Screen-type Strainer, that looks like Window Screen.

6. The remaining liquid may be consumed all at once or divided into 2 or 3 daily portitions with meals.

*U can also drink it before the meal instead of with the meal. Its supposed to help stabilize your ph which helps allow u to absorb
    nutrients in your food.

*I can't find the link but I read that the average weight gain was 1.5 pounds a week.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a friend that had to gain weight for the army--she was told by a recruiter to drink one Ice Cream shake every other day. If you were in North Texas I would tell you to go to Brahams'....but you can make one at home. Using real Ice Cream and Whole milk--blend together--add fruit or nuts of your choice.

She gained the necessary 10 pounds that allowed her to enter the army--she also was able to maintain.

Once she left (the army) ...strangely--the pounds fell off......
    Karma is a boomerrang that will bust you in the eye.
    PrincessDrRe, 2004
    The grass that is lush and green can very well be growing over a septic tank.
    Anabwi, 2008

SaPhia...it will return!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your insightful replies, keep them coming I'm writing them all down.

Starr

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Starr!

U must have been reading my mind... 5'1.5 and 95lbs... I'm DESPERATELY been trying to gain weight too. I eat alot, drink milkshakes, stopped dancing and running and STILL weigh the same.. and a fever and not eating for two days or so due to sickness can be devastating to my weight (I went from 99lbs to 87 in a week once.)

And I know what you mean. People constantly make jokes that I'm anorexic or wateva, but yet their the ones that are counting calories over lunch :smug. And your right about the men... most are looking for a 'thick' sista, which i am most definately not lol :lol.

I CAN testify that added muscle gives the appearance of being a lil more solid, as dance has done that for me. Unfortunately when I stopped to acheive 'fat', it wasn't very attractive at all and I didn't really gain weight anyway; my muscle just turned to flab. So I'll be dancing and running again in September :-).
    Anyway, thanks for posting this, because I'm taking notes to. :-P :thumbsup

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember in 9th grade, there was a skinny guy in my class who wanted to gain weight, so everyday at lunch, he would eat 4 bags of Doritos for lunch. That's it. And, he did gain weight. Ice cream seems to work too. However, you might gain an unhealthy heart in the process.

But, I really do wish you would just be happy with the way you look. Everyone wants to be sometning they aren't. Embrace who you are.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trureddstarr

yeaaah, ummm, i wouldn't go the ice cream or other junk food route if i were you. eat nutrient dense foods like wheat pasta, avocadoes, wheat breads, brown rice, nuts and nut butters and use olive oil in most of your meals that should help plus your vital organs won't turn on you later on

oh yeah, make sure that you are eating enough each day. also try to relax and stay still because most people who are thin are constant movers aka calorie burners.

it would also help your frame and probably your spirits if you became physically active. however, stick to exercises that focus on strength and not so much burning calories like aerobics.

hth a bit

tangytic is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by trureddstarr@Aug 5 2004, 04:34 PM
    and also it's not really viewed as something positive in the AA community, for ex. AA men don't like small-framed black females.
    is this why you want to gain weight?
    http://chicagoist.com/attachments/ch...5_11_obama.jpg[img]

The only Hope I have to help me deal with all this drama is, this year in November, I'll be cheering for OBAMA! - Mary J & Big Boi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast