Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What an interesting thread! I particularly appreciate and agree with the sentiments expressed by Melanizm, Librarising, Miss_Jazz, Lbellatrix, and Shontelle.

Looking back, I was fortunate to have been taken to church no more than occasionally during my formative years. I believe that not being forced to go to a particular church on a weekly basis kept my eyes open to the controlling and hypocritical natures of far too many “Christian” churches in this country. As a child, it was easy for me to identify and question many of the inconsistencies spouted by ministers and churchgoers who seemed all-too-willing to throw common-sense out the window in order to preach “God’s word” and spread “the fear of God” in the community. As you know, children are often first to see the emperor is wearing no clothes. My young mind could not understand how adults were apparently to swallow inconsistencies hook, line, and sinker without question. I did not, and still cannot, fathom why people would believe that God is the epitome love, yet is a full-of-wrath power to be “feared”. I did not understand how humans are supposedly created in the image of a loving God, yet are sinners doomed to hell unless thrown on God’s mercy. I did not understand how any self-respecting woman would willingly attend and support a church that deemed her unworthy to be a minister simply because she was born a woman and because male preachers had decided that permitting women to preach is somehow “against the word of God”. As an adult, I came to see that something is terribly askew when homosexuals-- who have always been strong forces in the pulpit, behind the pulpit, and in front of it-- feel compelled to deny lie about and cover up their natural orientations in order attend and perpetuate churches that preach the doors of “heaven” are double-padlocked to them. I have attended several funerals of relatives that were ceremoniously concluded by the minister’s grand declaration that “Those that have not accepted Christ as personal lord and savior will never see (insert name of deceased relative/friend/loved one here) again”. What an example of “Christian love” and understanding in a time of need! I don't think I've ever heard a more presumptuous statement uttered. I am fundamentally unable to accept that a loving God would as be as vengeful, hateful, or petty as mere humans would have us believe. If Christians have exclusive rights to heaven, then what about dear friends and loved ones who do not claim to be Christians? What about our African ancestors who died journeying through the Middle Passage without having first been “converted” to Christianity? What about those born profoundly mentally handicapped without the capacity to speak or understand language? Are they damned to “hell” for all eternity for their “failure” to acknowledge and accept Jesus Christ as lord and savior?

I, too, have serious issues with organized religion. I do not regularly attend church and haven’t in years. I feel that many churches require one to forsake one’s own God-given brain and remain ignorant in order to remain a “faithful” member-in-good standing. It appears to me that too many people attend church as a way to be entertained and be comfortable in ignorance instead of a means to improve lives and the world. I have known several who spend all day in church, but would never think to improve reading skills; learn more about science, sexuality, or history; or study foreign cultures or religions. I have never felt that “the fear of God” is necessary in order live a good, productive life or to raise a child well. Genuine concern, well-reasoned limits, civility and responsibility are.

I recently attended a secular function that was largely attended by members of a church located two blocks from my home. After being invited to attend the church, I later overheard the deacon refer to an absent member as being “ugly as sin”. Not only did the nearby church members laugh, they went on to quote Bible passages in their effort to bolster their beliefs that God favors men over women. Hmmmm……

So little space, but so much to say! Wishing all a productive day

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:app @ your entire post millerkin

especially these lines: "I have attended several funerals of relatives that were ceremoniously concluded by the minister’s grand declaration that “Those that have not accepted Christ as personal lord and savior will never see (insert name of deceased relative/friend/loved one here) again”. What an example of “Christian love” and understanding in a time of need! I don't think I've ever heard a more presumptuous statement uttered. I am fundamentally unable to accept that a loving God would as be as vengeful, hateful, or petty as mere humans would have us believe."

thanks to everyone who responded. you've all helped me out a lot
    We have all established that our hair is different....At the end of the day we pride ourselves as being NAPPY! [b]Let this quest for right and wrong go[/b] - RoseBurnt

[url="http://public.fotki.com/melanizm13"]UPDATES[/url]...12/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was also raised a baptist christian and was forced to go to church every sunday. I live in one of those "if you live in my house you will go to church" type house holds. So I would go. At the age of 10 I was baptised and a devoted christian. I cutt the perm off in 2000. With that new begining I begun to look at things in a different manner. I questioned everything and was in search of answers. In 2002, I offical stop practicing christianity and started to improve my spiritual relationship with the creator. The interesting thing was that I fought the desire to leave the christian church for a while, in fear of dying and going to hell. Then one day I was like, if I go to hell I'll be there with all ancestors! That was the end of that.

morena23 Guest

I didn't really question anything until I was an adult. I was raised Christian in a baptist church, but my mom always let me discover things on my own. When I decided last year that I would no longer consider myself baptist, she was fine with that. I am a bible believer who believs the entire word. Denominations often raise up one point and step on another. I consider myself Christian. The more I studied the more I realized that there shouldn't even be denominations. All have changed some aspect of the church that Jesus intended (as far as the Bible is concerned).

I do not attend church. I get more out of studying with a small group or by myself. I feel like too many people go to church for a show.

Melanizm: Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't search, or that you shouldn't question. One person's truth may not be yours. If my mother hadn't given me the push to study, I would still be in a belief system that wasn't for me. I say if you feel like Christianity isn't for you, search for a belief that is.......... I wish you well on your journey, and my prayer is that you find everything you seek.

:heart

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Questioning How You Were Raised

Quote Originally Posted by Melanizm View Post
    Hi

I was wondering how many, if any of you were raised under one religion and now as an adult have changed to a different religion or philosophy? and why?

I was raised as a Christian and now my beliefs are changing. It's not so much that I don't believe in a higher power or anything like that...I am just now starting to move from away from oraganized religion to individual spirituality.

I have some MAJOR problems with organized religion...(and to clarify, I mean religion as far as mindlessly following empty traditions and as a tool for mental conditioning and control.)

I grew up being forced to go to church. If I didn't go, I couldn't not leave the house for the rest of the day once my mother came home. So I went and I listened, I got baptized, and at one point I was really into "church".

But now that I am out on my own, I'm questioning a lot of what I've been conditioned to believe. I say conditioned because I never sought the knowledge for myself. I just believe what pastor said to believe for a long time. Now, I am questioning because as an individual I have to live and think for myself. Religion did not allow me to do that. They made me feel as if questioning meant non-belief, lack of faith, or heresy. To me, there's too much room for individual interpretation and misuse of the word. I had people tell me having piercings and tattoos is wrong and that I'm going to hell for it...because they interpreted text WRONG. That's why you can go to one church and the pastor says this and then go to another and the pastor says this and it's just a big ball of confusion. Who's right? Who's wrong? The Bible itself is an interpretation by MAN...which leaves room for imposition of will and misinterpretation.

and please don't get me started on the fact that slaves were stripped of their TRUE religion and forced to practice Christianity so they could further be brainwashed...

My point is...I'm not so sure that people are aware that you can have an individual relationship with God and not have to be "religious" per se. I say that because I wasn't aware because of being conditioned. Sorry to be so long and ramble, but I'm just trying to see can anyone relate to this and what resolution did they come to...
    I was raised in one religion but I now think why not give another religion a chance... all those people can't be bad... half the congregation from my old church has passed on anyway...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123