Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have old locs (8 years) that go down my back. They are so dry it's driving me nuts. Everything I use to moisturize them gets sucked up like a black hole. I've spent a lot of money trying many different products but have yet to find one that works. Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated.

(Forgive me if this discussion has occurred already. I tried unsuccessfully to do a search.)

/gfj

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...8 years, huh? I was thinking maybe you were a newbie like me, in which case I was going to tell you to start using conditioner again. I started again last month and wow...my locs are nice and soft.

But 8 YEARS...

Can you give us some details on your regular routine?
    It's 2020...do you know where you're going to?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have any pics?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebonysea7,
    I agree with LBellatrix - please give us details on your regular hair maintenace routine. For a couple of months, I also had a problem with very dry locs although I am not at 8 years like you but at 2-1/2 years locing. However, I found out that my problem was the all natural shampoos or 100% organic shampoos I was using. When I took the advice of some loc wearers on this board and went to Suave Coconut Shampoo and also the Suave Raspberry and Suave ,Strawberry Shampoo, my hair became soft..no..softer! I just came to the conclusion that although I have heard it often ...some organic ingredients will tend to dry out the hair. Do you use organic shampoos? My routine has always been just wash once a week, and rinse daily..no oil..so when I switched shampoos..I saw a big difference with my locs being the softest myhair has ever been. Also, at one point, in my loc journey, I did try a little oil and water once or twice a week as a trial, but I can't explain why but I seem allergic to oils in my hair an dthey break me out and even make my hair dryer..In my past before going natural, I seem to have always had a problem w/oil breaking me out too and making my hair dry..so can it be the shampoo, oils, or a combination of both if you are sensitive as I am?

soleil

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, EbonySea7! I have 9 year old locs and I know what you mean about dryness. I use a homemade spritz. It's 2 parts water , 1 part olive oil. It does the trick! I also use Alma's recipe for a honey spritz. That makes my hair feel really soft and well hydrated. What are you using to wash your hair with?

I would love to see your pics, too!!! I want to see some other "loc vets" like myself!
    password : ujamaa

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luvlilocs, what are the measurements for the water and oil mix. i also use a oil and water mix but it seems like i have too much water. the same for the honey spritz. i've heard others say that the honey is too heavy on the hair so i do not want to use too much.

thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings, Freedai!

I use 1.5 cups of water and little less than 1/2 cup of oil. I improvise alot. Whatever feels right. If I think I can use a litle more oil, I'll add a little more oil.
    password : ujamaa

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you luvlilocs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I apologize for starting this topic and not following up. I appreciate everyone's comments. I hope to get up some pics of my 8 yr. old locs soon.

My regimen, such as it is, has been to wash my hair approximately every three weeks, previously with Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo, now with ORGANIC Root Stimulator Uplifting Shampoo. I've used various things to moisturize and give shine including ORGANIC Root Stimulator, Aveda and Carol's Daughter.

I like the idea of the spritz and I'll try Suave shampoo. I've heard good things about it before.

What do you all use for deep conditioning, BTW?

/gfj

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ebonysea7,

My locs aren't nearly as old as yours, (21 months) but I stopped using all the Organic Root Stimulator products because they were VERY drying for my hair. I am a freeformer, and I usually use black soap as a shampoo. I just break off a few pieces, but it in a squeeze bottle with some water, and squirt it close to my scalp. It lathers great, rinses extremely well, and leaves no residue. Every so often I'll use a shampoo from naani.com. I don't use conditioners, but occasionally I'll do a hot olive oil treatment. Hope this helps and good luck finding a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast