Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 2004 I graduated with a degree in International Relations minor: Communications. After graduation I started working as a temp in NYC for a major hospital in Brooklyn. After about one year, I left feeling duped. They kept promising that they would make my position permanent, which I realized they were never going to do. So after the blessing of my boss, I quit and took a job as a case manager. After about a year, a great opportunity came up to teach overseas. While teaching, I worked with not only children, but adults who were working on cruise ships.

This re-established my love for traveling and working overseas. I do plan to get my masters soon in International Developement, however, I would love to work for an organization or corporation first. I have a friend who has her BA and MA in international relations and couldn't get a job. Why? No overseas experience. I , in turn, have overseas experience not only as an EFL teacher but also as intern in Costa Rica at the legislative assembly. But still, I cannot get a job in this field. Kinda like damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm not sure when I'll go to grad school, I just don't want to jump into something and regret it.

But I'm hanging in there, tweaking my resume, and revising it. Hang in there ladies, and the universe will answer back.

Life is a script, you're the writer. Take control!

[url="http://divinemel.blogspot.com/"]http://divinemel.blogspot.com/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i graduated with a bachelor's in english almost two years ago. ironically, the entire time i was in college, i was employed and could make ends meet. as soon as i graduated though i could not find nor keep a steady job. i've been waitressing and other odd jobs, trying to make ends meet. i now work as a tutor and make about 320ollars a month. my expenditures come to about 850.

i majored in english because i didn't want to be a teacher or a scientist (both were suggested by guidance counselors and career counselors in both high school and college), i have a gift with words and wanted to study them in college. now i feel like i made a huge mistake because i can't pay any of my bills. sometimes maybe one or two, but the rest, i have to ask for help from my grandmother :blush: . i too bought the into the idea that just because i matriculated i would be set for life after school. and not so much set for life, but that i would at at least be able to take care of myself. this recession isn't helping at all either. i sometimes wish i'd just gone to a tech school or taken the management job offered to me by one of the restaurants i worked in while in college. at least then i'd have a job and would be able to afford to eat, sleep, live, get sick, wash clothes before they get ready to walk out of my apartment, and look into buying a house. things i should be doing by now. even if i wanted to go to grad school, i couldn't afford it now. taking the GRE, getting out of my lease, relocating... all take money. :Angry: i thought getting an education afforded one better opportunities... :dunno: :icon_headshake: :brickwall: :surrender:
    [/b]
    You're among many on this thread with English degrees and negative circumstances. What kinds of jobs have you been looking into? I'm about to change my major from Journalism to English on the advisement of a counselor. I'm focusing on book publishing since I want to be an editor and I've been hearing really good things about the industry.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump. this is interesting.

I want to know if there is anyone with work exeperience/internships, community service, leadership skills, people skills and knows how to network, interview, and sell herself who is having trouble finding a job? Because that seems to be the formula for success...
    [/b]
    I think that is going to be my problem. I have a BBA in Information Technology and have worked in my field for over 10 years. When I accepted my call, I entered Seminary to complete a Master of Divinity and will finish in May 2009. The issue I am seeing with moving over to counseling is that I don't have paid experience or clinical experience with a caseload.

In addition to taking a 50k pay cut, I will need more training CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) after Seminary. But when the Lord calls, you better answer... :yes:
    public.fotki.com/firstladytj/

utamu is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep your head up everybody . Please note that the US job market is bracing for the impending retirements of baby boomers - who make up a third of the workforce. By 2010 the lack of qualified workers will become a big issue and people with degrees, especially specialized ones will be in even higher demand. Also government positions will feel the crunch the hardest since many govt workers are older. Computer services, education, accounting, and healthcare are also industries that will be hurting even more for workers. Do some research on the topic online (there's a ton of articles) and maybe that will help find more focus for your job search.

Job market to boom as baby boomers retire
    Students advised to keep their options open
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...hotjobs08.html

Retirement of baby boomers may reverberate in workplace

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nati..._boomers21.html

http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/techcare...g_workforce.htm

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819