Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a degree always come in handy. you might not get a job in your field. but it's easier to get a job w/ college education than with a high school ed or less. not to say you won't get one b/c there are a lot of sucessful people w/out a college degree. but any knowledge gained is not lost.

you know no one on this earth will EVER be able to say they know EVERYTHING!! so i'm all for learning. it's fun!!
    WHATEVER IT IS.... I PROBABLY DID IT

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG, you guys are talking about me too. I'm still fuming. I got my B.A. in Religious Studies (which I did because I enjoyed it, I knew I couldn't really get a good job with it, so I planned on going to grad school) In Grad school I did a M.S. in Telecommunications (Immersive Mediated Environments). My focus was web/graphic design, animation, and creative writing. (A wide focus I know). I moved to the Chicagoland area, last August, and I'm done w/my coursework, but have to finish my thesis. Haven't really been putting a rush on finishing since I owe my school 1000 bucks and they won't let me graduate until I pay them. I searched for a job for a year, and temped in a few places. I finally got a job in June as a receptionist making 10 bucks an hour. I owe almost 100,000 in student loans, I also want to go to law school which would be next to impossible since I only have 20000 in loans left to borrow and the school I want to go to because it has what I want to specialize in is private and tuition alone is 22,000/yr. I don't know what to do, I always wanted to go to college, and I just knew it would help me so much in the future, but as of now it looks like I wasted a lot of time and money. This economy is so jacked up and we don't know when it'll turn around. I keep trying to think of ways to make money on my own, but pretty much everything I want to do requires you already having money or something, and I have nothing. Any suggestions?

SpokenWordz Guest

Y'all are telling the truth! I've only read a few responses (have to get ready to go to my temp job) but I just wanted to add my $0.02. I'll probably come back to this thread...

I graduated May 2003 with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics and am currently doing credit card collections PART-TIME. And this is the same job I had while in college! Just this week I took a PART-TIME data entry temp position (which I hate) for a parcel company. And I feel so demeaned going to this job because my supervisor is someone I grew up with from childhood. We're the same age, both have college degrees but he started as a loader and basically got promoted thru the "good ol' boy" system (someone in management found out that he went to a certain college and promoted him). The pay is decent but I hate the fact that I worked hard to get this degree and it basically means nothing out here in the job market. It's all about "experience" and "networking". So you telling me I could have just went to work straight out of high school and would probably be in a better position than what I'm in now, right? Not to mention I wouldn't be $30k+ in debt from school loans. My sis has been telling me for the longest time that you almost HAVE to get a professional degree. Anything else'll leave you struggling. I'm almost inclined to believe her...

Off to research medical school!!

CC
    :heart

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(raises hand)

Still no permanent job. :smug

Graduated with MSSW in May, went away for 2 months, currently working a temporary PT job. I've had 2 interviews. The 1st one wanted me but I couldn't take the job; 2nd one is considering me right now. I've sent my resume' out numerous times with no answer back most of the time. I think some of it is because my degree is too high for what they want. Or maybe some places don't want me, it's possible. My head isn't so big that I think everyone will want me for a job. But in my field, even though the market sucks, I'll find something soon. SWs are needed just about everywhere.
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knpw people with architecture (sp?), computer science, accounting and engineering degrees that have no jobs!!! It does seem that if you want an easier time getting job w/ a BA you have to get it in education or something like nursing.

Good luck to all that are unhappy in their current situaion.

Jess82 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I hope I will be able to find a good job after my studies... :sleep Im currently studying in the graduate program of Translation studies in Canada (English to French). I chose that field partly because I read according to statistics that there will be good job opportunities in it... I use to be in Biology (to become a biologist) but a lot of people told me there was no opportunities in it and I think they were right, plus I didn't like that field too much...

My real interest is anthropology or ethnology but I know there is no job in those fields (unless you have a phd)...
    Locks started on April 23rd 2010.

paulita425 Guest

I have a BA in political science, Stay in Atlanta and I work in a call center for an Airline. I would probably make more money working at Footlocker as an assistant manager then I do now.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a B.S. in Biology and I haven't found the type of job I want because I don't have the experience that employers are looking for. The few jobs that I have been offered didn't want to pay me as much as my present job which isn't related to what I went to school for. Employers don't want to train new employees anymore, they want you to be ready to hit the ground running as soon as they hire you. It's frustrating because I feel like my education is going down the drain or that it was a total waste of time because it's not be utilized.

My advice to those still in college would be to get as much experience as possible NOW in the type of job you would like to have after graduation, even if you have to volunteer.

vicchnu Guest

Well, an education degree may not be all it is cracked up to be. Remember there is a teacher shortage in certain fields not in all. We (my school district)just laid off teachers for this school year. Another friend couldn't get a job teaching and left for turkey and is teaching there for DOD. And yet another friend also couldn't get a job in teaching and left to live in Spain to teach English as a second language.

I quit my job to return to school to become a teacher (MA in education) halfway throught the program i realized, i was doing it for the wrong reasons:
    (1)Work ours to coincide with my daughter's day
    (2) summers off.
    So i quit that program and i'm now pursuing a MA in Marketing. I don't know if i get a job or not but i'm prepared to try consulting if not. Sometimes you have to create an income stream for yourself.

Like many of you, i'm busting out the seams with student loans.

Blondnaps: Yes i'm definitely willing to relocate. I am already planning for my adventure.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is crazy, thanks for all the inputs ladies...I know I'm not the only one that has benefited from this posting.

Not going into HR now makes a lot of since, some of you broke it down for me and progression is key within a company, and I might not be able to achieve what I want out of that career field.

I have decided to pursue my Master's Degree in Public Relation with USC ( University of Southern California) being if I get accepted. Being in Los Angeles I will be able to intern and get that experience needed for a job opportunity after I graduate...HOPEFULLY.

Just wanted to get some of you a couple of sites, that speak on job outlook in 5-10yrs, income, description and other related careers.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

http://www.princetonreview.com/

Good Luck to all of you, and I hope you all find that job you're looking for

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast