Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's just me but I'm noticing that a few months ago, everyone jumped on the transitioning train and suddenly so many are hopping off. Some are afraid that their hair will look like jheri curls, some are afraid they won't be attractive, some say it's unprofessional, etc. I mean these are are thoughts a transitioner thinks at one point (maybe except for the jheri curl thing LOL) but man! A tip to my current transitioners, please don't transition because it's the "IN" thing to do. You'll only go back to the creamy crack. Personally, I didn't decide to transition because everyone was doing it (although that was VERY inspiring!) ..I transitioned because of deeper issues. I realized and accepted that I hated myself and I HAD to change. I didn't wanna pass or encourage self hatred to my kids, my friends, or my family. Once I joined Nappturality and began to indulge myself in knowledge (books, research, etc) about black history in general I became proud of who I was and refused to believe nappy hair was unprofessional, unattractive, masculine, and all the other ridiculous and self degrading excuses my sisters and the media come up with. C'mon yall! WHAT'S WRONG WITH NAPPY HAIR? WHAT'S WRONG WITH BROWN SKIN? NOTHING!. I know what I'm saying is a repetitive thing, but it feels good to personally let the world know that IM BLACK AND IM PROUD! :-) I just hate to see so many people go back to relaxing their hair again because of these self esteem issues. They love themselves, what's wrong with loving yourself?
    "My culture, my history, and my people run warmly through my body keeping me vibrant, determined, and strong willed."
    -Ebonie

Niya is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

girl, were you on a certain other forum today?
    even though i didn't know these people, i felt so down and disappointed that they went back.

transitioners,
    transition for the right reasons.
    transition your minds.
    stay strong. you can do it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol yeah 1ntellect, I was on a certain forum today.
    It kinda hit me in the HEART!
    "My culture, my history, and my people run warmly through my body keeping me vibrant, determined, and strong willed."
    -Ebonie

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been down that road before...transitioning and running back to the perm. I went back to the creamy crack because I didn't know what the hey I was doing, I didn't have NP, so in my mind I had no options. But the second time, it was all good.

It takes a lot of inner strength to take up transitioning, and a lot of patience too. It breaks my heart to see people say they're going to go back to the perm but everyone has their own reasons for doing so *shrug*. It's as much of a mental thing as it is a physical thing.
    http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ka7/cake-1.jpg

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AfrikaIzin_My_Hair@Sep 27 2004, 06:38 PM
    I've been down that road before...transitioning and running back to the perm. I went back to the creamy crack because I didn't know what the hey I was doing, I didn't have NP, so in my mind I had no options. But the second time, it was all good.

It takes a lot of inner strength to take up transitioning, and a lot of patience too. It breaks my heart to see people say they're going to go back to the perm but everyone has their own reasons for doing so *shrug*. It's as much of a mental thing as it is a physical thing.
    Yeah, I've been down that road, too ..but people are just giving up so EASY! *sighs* I don't know. I guess now that I'm cemented in my ways it's hard for me to even look at hair relaxers let alone consider using em ..except when the tub is stopped up, ofcourse. God help 'em.
    -Ebonie

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have first hand experience with the relapse issue. I had transitioned for 8 months and I just knew that I was going to be natural, but then horror struck. I had a wedding to go to. I had no idea what to do with my hair and I had not discovered this wonderful site. I was on another hair forum and was told repeatedly, "Oh a texturizer is not a relaxer. I'm natural, I just have a texturizer to enhance my natural curl pattern." What a crock. I wish I had found nappturality before I got that last hit (July 30). I would have been at the 1 year mark in November. Instead, I'm going to be at 4 months. WHY!?!?!?! I know that I am not interested in another chem being put in my hair. Besides, there are too many weaves and braids in the world for me to feel that I ever need a perm!! Half the time, "they" bought their hair too. I can't wait to be completely FREE!!!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by InnocentKiss@Sep 27 2004, 07:44 PM
    Yeah, I've been down that road, too ..but people are just giving up so EASY! *sighs* I don't know. I guess now that I'm cemented in my ways it's hard for me to even look at hair relaxers let alone consider using em ..except when the tub is stopped up, ofcourse. God help 'em.
    Yeah people are giving up easy, but I think for some it takes going back to the perm to make things crystal clear. I know it did for me! After I got that perm I was like shoooooooooo WHAT AM I DOING?!?! After that I knew for sure I wasn't going to perm anymore.
    http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ka7/cake-1.jpg

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off Note (I love your album Afrika. I've never seen anyone do something like that, you're very creative.)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I noticed some people going back to relaxers...
    100% natural April 9 05

updated 3/8/06
    my hair pics

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, i've noticed a trend....i just :tiptoe outta that place

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast