User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    guapa1 Guest

Default Is my shea butter mix supposed to be soft?

Because it isn't!! It's as hard as it was before I mixed it. I left it in the fridge overnight to chill when I made it last night. It melts really quickly, but it's just trying to scoop it up.

Cocopuff Guest

What did you mix it with? Shea Butter is generally hard any way. You have to melt it to use it. Try putting it in the microwave for a couple of seconds, that should soften it up.

LBellatrix Guest

Shea butter by itself is hard/stiff at room temperature. You need to mix it with ENOUGH of something that stays soft/pliable at room temperature.

My latest shea butter blend contains coconut oil. It hardens at cooler temperatures but softens when I put the jar in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes, so no microwaving is necessary.

earthangel Guest

Do you deep condition with the shea butter and coconut oil? For how long? :?:

guapa1 Guest

OK. I mixed it with cocnut oil, sweet almond oil, and a few drops of lavender and peppermint, which I can't even smell anyway :roll: . Thanx ladies. Cocopuff, love the avatar!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mixed my shea butter with equal parts of mango and cocoa butter, then whipped in some olive, coconut and jojoba oils with a drizzle of honey. It is soooo soft.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding things like oils, aloe vera and humectant to shea butter softens it up. Whipping the mixture helps as well.
    Last edited by Fronomenal; 10-27-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    Big Chop: December 15, 2008

TikiB is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have mentioned, how soft your mixture ends up is dependent on how much of what you mix with the shea butter. Both shea butter and coconut oil are hard at room temperature. Whipping alone won't make the mix any softer but it will make it smoother. Adding additional ingredients like aloe vera, or larger quantities of liquid oils will soften the mix.
    My thanks and appreciation go to the lovely one who PANKED me!

http://public.fotki.com/Tiki-Blue/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default uh oh

I bought some pure shea butter a while ago, and I wasn't mixing it with anything. I don't like how greasy it feels. I suppose i should try and mix it with some kind of oil. With that combat the greasy feeling?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalNyka View Post
    I bought some pure shea butter a while ago, and I wasn't mixing it with anything. I don't like how greasy it feels. I suppose i should try and mix it with some kind of oil. With that combat the greasy feeling?
    Adding more oil would make if feel more greasy. I add aloe vera gel to my shea butter. It makes it moisturizing and less greasy, IMHO.

I have also heard about adding cornstarch to shea butter to make it less greasy. I haven't tried it though...
    Big Chop: December 15, 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast