User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    nadege Guest

a loc-titian friend of mine in atlanta told me of this process. has anyone succefully removed their dreads without cutting them off? is my hair too long to do this??

is it possible to comb dreads out with lots of detangler? i saw them do this also on extreme makeover, but the girl with dreads didn't have nappy hair like mine.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wore locs for 5 years & I successfully took them down this past February 2004. I used a detangler & it took me 2 weeks & several hours in the evening.....while all turned out well I'd never do it again!!!!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it takes a loooong time but you can do it. keep in mind though that you will lose some hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Whoopie Goldburg took her locs out at one point. You know that's her hair in the movie RAT RACE with Cuba Gooding. My girlfriend has sister locs and it took her 3 hours to comb out a half inch of her hair. :lol So if you choose to do it be prepaired for that type of time like all the other have said above.
    5 YEARS LOCED pw = smile
    Loc Journey pw = smile
    I may be MIA for the most part but I pop in from time to time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! You want to unlock all that? (your hair is gorgeous by the way)

I suppose it could be done, but damn!

Girl, good luck!

@ladylocs37 I am surprised it only took you two weeks to take down your locs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@nadege ur hair is absolutely beautiful!!! since my locs are only 7mths i dont have any advice for ya.

but im loving ur locs!!!

Jlmashby Guest

First of all your locks are absolutely beautiful. I wish you well on wherever your journey takes you, as long as it is natural!

As I have posted before, I am seriously considering taking down some of my 8.5 months old Sisterlocks (SLs) to create more locks. Yes, I am a bit NEUROTIC........... Enough said, I actually took out two SLs by saturating them in African Royale Hot 6 Oil and it took me about a half hour to undo them. If I decide to finally undo them, wish me the patience of a saint....

P.S. I also purchased that Take Down product, but didn't feel that it did the job as well as the African Royale Hot 6 Oil. Also on another board someone said you could put Downy fabric softner for senstive skin in your hair for three hours before attempting to take them down. Don't know if it would work, but it may be worth a try. If you do try any of these methods, I would recommend one way in the back of your head so it is not so noticeable if it dosen't work. Good luck!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I removed my 10 year olds locks earlier this year. She has rather straight hair and I didn't like the look of them. I wind up cutting some of the hair because it was taking so long. I got to a place wear several had "married", she was getting tired of sitting, so we just cut her hair into a cute chin length bob.

Today I took about five of my 5 year olds locs out. I cut a bit of the tip off to expose the loc core, picked it loose with an ice pick for a few inches, and then combed out with a baby comb (for the extra small tooth). My objective was just to clear out a few of the locs where the core was showing through. Her hair is kinky curly and her locs generally look lovely and are growing quite well. But those spots where the core are showing just irk me. I've used acv to clean out some of it.

I was tempted to take all of her locs out because I missed the ritual of combing braiding or twisting her hair. She was having none of it though. I put the loose areas back in double strand twists.

It's really just a matter of removing the dead hair and accumulated lint. My oldest sister has locs the lenght of the original poster. She took out one or two after I showed her honeychild's album. She wound up with a sandwich bag worth of hair so don't be disturbed!!

Let me add too, your locs are very beautiful. Guess the grass is always greener.
    <div align="center">[url="http://www.fotki.com/7moonchild"]pix[/url] & [url="http://www.hair2heaven.com/myblog.htm"]thoughts[/url]</div>
    [url="http://theblogbore.wordpress.com/"]another boring blog[/url] ")
    <div align="center">[color=#CC0000]~[SIZE=2]Look not outward, for the answer that lies within[/color].~[/SIZE]</div>
    <div align="center">May 1991: Got my degree in naturality. No transition, no return.</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don&#39;t have any advice seeing that I have never attempted to do this, and I don&#39;t think I would do it! But I wanted to say ... YOUR LOCS ARE BEAUTIFUL-GORGEOUS-AMAZING! Simply breath taking!
    You Have to Guard the Love You Find- And Overcome the Hate that Finds you. (Eva Ruthland)

Those that mind don&#39;t matter, and those that matter don&#39;t mind.

Trying to Live Stress Free

nadege Guest

thank you so much for your replies, very helpful indeed. and thank you for the hair compliments. i have had them for so long and i have always wanted big curly hair that took up a lot of room, so hopefully it can happen. i spoke to my friend and she gave me some prices on what professionals charge, something like $25 o $50 an hour being that i live in brooklyn, it will probably be double that. so i will keep my hair through the winter for some much need warmth and then i am going to try, when i do i will post another pic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast