Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I have been natural since 1998 and I occasionally get my hair pressed. During my first visit with a stylist she mentioned wanting to put a texturizer in my hair to "loosen" the curl pattern. I declined stating that I was not interested in straightening my hair with any chemicals. Recently, I visited the salon for a 2nd press and between washes the same stylist left something on my hair that made my scalp tingle which she promptly told me was a conditioner with peppermint in it. She then conditioned my hair, put me under the dryer, and finished with a press n' curl. I have now had the press for almost a week and my hair feels like when I had a relaxer. The texture is much smoother than any press I have ever had.

Could she have put in a texturizer? Has anyone had one and would know how long it needs to be applied and what it feels like when it is applied? I am very worried because I really didn't want a straight look acheived with chemicals.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A texturizer feels just like a perm. Peppermint and tea tree and other oils can give your scalp a tingly feeling that feels similar to chemicals (just tingling, NOT burning), so hopefully that's all it was. I hope she didn't lie to you about what she put on your head. Give it a while and a few washings to see if it "goes back" at all. Although it still may look like it's going back even if it was chemicals... or it may not go back even if no chemicals were used because of heat damage.... :unsure:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by morningqueen@Nov 27 2004, 06:07 AM
    I have been natural since 1998 and I occasionally get my hair pressed. During my first visit with a stylist she mentioned wanting to put a texturizer in my hair to "loosen" the curl pattern. I declined stating that I was not interested in straightening my hair with any chemicals. Recently, I visited the salon for a 2nd press and between washes the same stylist left something on my hair that made my scalp tingle which she promptly told me was a conditioner with peppermint in it. She then conditioned my hair, put me under the dryer, and finished with a press n' curl. I have now had the press for almost a week and my hair feels like when I had a relaxer. The texture is much smoother than any press I have ever had.

Could she have put in a texturizer? Has anyone had one and would know how long it needs to be applied and what it feels like when it is applied? I am very worried because I really didn't want a straight look acheived with chemicals.

[snapback]623738[/snapback]

Have you tried washing your hair? That will solve it for sure. If you suspect foul play ask her to show you the conditioner she used. Real the label, sniff it, etc.
    And please if you do find out that she gave you a texturizer, sue her azz. It's one thing to be generally anti-nap. Whatever. But it's a whole other thing to put a caustic chemical in a client's hair after she specifically told you not to and then lie about it. That's just wrong.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it a warm tingle or a cold tingle. If it were peppermint it would be a cool, all over tingle. Plus you can smell the peppermint.
    :)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by CatSuga@Nov 27 2004, 02:07 AM
    Was it a warm tingle or a cold tingle. If it were peppermint it would be a cool, all over tingle. Plus you can smell the peppermint.
    [snapback]623780[/snapback]
    CatSuga has said it all. Peppermint would have been a cool tingle and not a burning sensation. I think it is time you called your stylist and ask her if she used any type of chemical on you hair.

E
    Password: napps

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If she put a texturizer in your hair against your will that's grounds for a law suit!!

If that's the case, I would not let her get away with that!!
    Last chemical fire cream: 10/98
    Braid Locks Started: 08/26/06
    NO OIL/No Products

"Crying is like taking your soul to the laundromat"
    ~Lyfe 268-192~

BE aware of Willie Lynch-ism!

Smug Mug

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not call the salon, describe the product, and ask what exactly it was? Seems like the stylist herself would know better than we would, since all we have to go on is a description. *shrug*
    ~ Last re.laxer 7.99 ~ Chop 7.00 ~ Locs 2.03 ~

[B]"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne[/B]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duplicate post.
    ~ Last re.laxer 7.99 ~ Chop 7.00 ~ Locs 2.03 ~

[B]"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne[/B]

Niya is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe ask one of the other stylists, but i highly doubt that the same stylist who put on the chemical w/o telling you is going to admit that's what she did.

like delushious said, go back and see if you can read the label, sniff the product, etc.

and of course, wash your hair first and see what it does.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast