Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talked to my mom over the phone tonight and told me that the hairstyle I wore the other day ( a hair clip in the back and bobby pinned to the side in the front) was unprofessional. She also told me that my appearance has been going down since I've been natural because I don't comb my hair. She told me the style that I attempted to do looked unkept because I didn't comb it. She compared me to a bum, told me I wouldn't be accepted in corporate America, told me it looked like I had bad Hygene, told me that I could offend someone, told me that shes surprized that my supervisor hasn't said anything, told me that I could have germs living in my head....exc ALL BECAUSE I DON"T COMB MY HAIR ON A REGULAR BASIS!

I told her that she just had a problem with my hair being nappy period and told her if I combed it, it was still going to look nappy. From day one she has had negative remarks about my hair. In the beginning of the convo I tried to explain to her that you have to treat nappy hair different then you treat a perm for example, its not a good idea for me to go raking through my napps in the morning everyday with a comb...thats pointless to me! Combfree is what I like so whats the big deal? I also told her that I have been quietly putting up with her "ignit" comments about my hair and it has hurt my feelings alot over the year. But tonight she really pissed me off. She also told me that if I wanted to wear my hair like that I should go to another country. She really wanted to tell me to go back to Africa since shes said that before in the past.

Anyway to make a long story short she said a lot of things and believe me for a second I forgot that she was my mom and I gave her hell right back, I broke it all the way down believe me. Then she says, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness, what would JESUS DO"? I reminded her that His hair was like wool. She tried to convience me that JESUS kept up with his appearance. I reminded her that they didn't have combs in that day, and even if they did I don't think JESUS was thinking about his fro. ANYWAY the conversation went back and forth for some time and plently of other things were said, in the end I told her that she needed to get over it!

Boy you would think I was pulling down the entire black race by choosing to be natural and not combing my hair on a regular basis.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    loose to sisterloced-->8 YEAR NAPPIVERSERY OCTOBER 2011!!!!
    http://public.fotki.com/Netta1/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Netta! Sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad that you finally stood up and told her your opinion and where you're coming from as well! WTG for standing up for yourselves (and nappies in general ) Hopefully her attitude will change!!!! *hugs*

I've had that "I don't comb my hair" talk with people at my job. I remind them that if you've got braids in your hair, it's not being combed! So what's the BIG DEAL! It's better than putting DRANO on ya head!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...I'm so sorry you have to deal with that, especially from momma .
    glamazini.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was so mean of your Mom. I would be highly upset. It is too bad she is not supporting you. *sigh*
    "A true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. A true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginningless time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purified light."
    Taken from Avatar: The Last Airbender, the series.

Proud CNA and Nursing Student :))

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:angry:

i'm sorry.....

you can't keep a good nap down... for too long.

My Fotki Hair Album!

Last updated: 10/24/2008

password: nevermore
    Note: albums are currently open

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're a grown woman and you make your own decisions and she should respect that.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. That's a shame. (about mom) Your hair looks good girl!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do. -Bruce Lee

The power of the white world is threatened whenever a black man refuses to accept the white world's definitions.
    James A. Baldwin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am so so SORRY hun! <<hugs>> i am in the same boat with my mom and have heard MANY negative comments....ranging from..."you should be setting an example for the children." to "whats wrong with your hair?"

i can only imagine what will be said when they (mom & dad) realize that i am locking my hair. (throw my 2 brothers in there too)

my dad has already said people with locs look like they have a dirty mop on top of their heads..

Back in the hometown of Los Angeles, CA...YAY!!!
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m sorry that u had to go thru that <<hugs>>
    PROVERBS 16:3 ON ME</span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m sorry your mom doesn&#39;t understand how you feel about your hair. If you need support you can always count on NP.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast