Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netta, I am glad she came around. Both of your locs look great!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by netta1 View Post
    ******Bumping*****

This is an old thread, but I wanted to prove w/ pics that people who are against nappy hair can really change. In 2004 my mother (who is one of my best friends) was my biggest natural hair enemy.....fast forward to 2010 and....

My mom (in the purple) now has SISTERLOCS and has not permed for over 5 years! I have SL too (I'm in the brown). I have been natural for over 6 years...do the math lol.

moral of the story...be patient, stay natural and let life happen :0)

awww... what a beautiful ending. We need to bump this thread every time a new napptural posts about negative comments from friends and relatives.

^ This is my happy place

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What an amazing turnaround! Just wow. (Did she ever apologize for being so narrow-minded and disrespectful?)

mikou is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can empathize with your situation. Except for the stuff about Jesus and the Bible, my mother has come at me with all the same attacks. On top of that, she tried to say that I'm like this because I don't love myself. She really doesn't get how ironic her mindset is.

It took me a while, but I learned to shrug her off most of the time and to avoid any discussions about hair.

As for Jesus... I like to picture him with locs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry you are getting such rude remarks for your mom of all people. It really hurts when the ones we think should support us are the ones knocking us down. (I'm currently trying to convince my husband that locs are not dirty and can be professional.) Hopefully you and your mom heal and resore you relationship now that both of you have aired your feelings

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Edit

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceG78 View Post
    Sorry you are getting such rude remarks for your mom of all people. It really hurts when the ones we think should support us are the ones knocking us down. (I'm currently trying to convince my husband that locs are not dirty and can be professional.) Hopefully you and your mom heal and resore you relationship now that both of you have aired your feelings
    restore your relationship

izatrini is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, is our mother the same person??? Cuz I SWEAR I've had that EXACT conversation with my mother. SMH.
    1 year and 2 months natural and 8 months into my loc journey!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AuNappturale View Post
    What an amazing turnaround! Just wow. (Did she ever apologize for being so narrow-minded and disrespectful?)
    lol, in her own way. Before she loced I think she got bold once and wore her natural hair out...well when she went to work without her usual wig black folks were looking all upside her head. When she was telling me the story, she told me that she understood what I went through going natural. I chimed in w/ my usual sarcasm and we both laughed. MY MOTHER ARRIVED, but she had to experience somethings on her own to really get it. Now that she is loced she is still transitioning mentally....but she is much much murch lol better now. I am her support and her encouragement, teaching her that black hair IS good hair. Its a beautiful discovery really, the other day she wore a loced braid out and you could not tell her ANYTHING. When she undid her braids she was amazed at her hair texture. I smiled at her my reflection was also in the mirror. I told her "see mom all this time I've been trying to tell you that your natural hair is naturally coily/curly textured, and now you see for yourself what it can do." My husband was there and made the comment to me @ how nice my mother hair was, I told him, "Please tell her that", he did, and he took pictures. Now my dad is only one on the late show, lol. But he is pretty indifferent about hair period.

Quote Originally Posted by mikou View Post
    I can empathize with your situation. Except for the stuff about Jesus and the Bible, my mother has come at me with all the same attacks. On top of that, she tried to say that I'm like this because I don't love myself. She really doesn't get how ironic her mindset is.

It took me a while, but I learned to shrug her off most of the time and to avoid any discussions about hair.

As for Jesus... I like to picture him with locs.
    I can picture Yahshuah with locs too, lol. Anyhow check post 51 my mother is a loc convert now.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceG78 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by izatrini View Post
    Wait, is our mother the same person??? Cuz I SWEAR I've had that EXACT conversation with my mother. SMH.
    Check post 51 my mother is a loc convert now.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklicious View Post
    I have to say, reading your post before getting down to your pic, I was expecting something very different. I have seen naturals with no style whatsoever. Your hair looks great. I can't lie, I struggle with how to "keep it corporate" as I grow out my relaxer, but I definitely think it can be done. Sounds like your mom is from the same old school mine is! You have to remember they are from a generation that HATED their hair. Natural hair was considered unstyled and unacceptable, and no amount of changing times has changed that perception in that generation. My mother has really nice looking natural hair, that curls up when air-dried, but she will go religiously to that hair dresser and get it set so she can wear it straight. Now that she is almost 80, her hair is so fine she doesn't need a perm, but in her younger days, she was permin' it up! Don't feel bad. Chalk it up to one of the many things that put her behind the times.
    Check post 51 my mother is a loc convert now.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    in general it sounds like Crinklicious needs to read the entire thread.

This is a GREAT story. The thread is pin-worthy, IMO. Every time someone encounters a tale of woe from a family member, this can serve as a reminder that people can and do change!
    Yes people do change, I remember when I thought my best friend at the time was crazy for being natural. I said that I would NEVER go natural. Natural was LAST thought on my mind, lol ...yep people change.

Pin me Miss Dee! lol I mean if you see fit, lol.
    Last edited by netta1; 09-05-2010 at 05:03 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    loose to sisterloced-->8 YEAR NAPPIVERSERY OCTOBER 2011!!!!
    http://public.fotki.com/Netta1/

mikou is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I didn't notice that the original post was from a few years ago! Anyway, I'm glad you were able to give us an update and that your mother is embracing her natural hair. Both of you have lovely hair, by the way.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GURL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on her! Your hair is GORGEOUS and it is YOURS! Unfortunately people don't like change, but we should not not do things for ourselves to please others! DO YOU and BE FABULOUS as you do it!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast