Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a celeb (black female) that I think is ugly.
    While watching tv I begin to express my awful opinion about this creature's uglyness. A white guy who I was sitting with said that he felt the same way, but would dare not say it because people might think that it would be a racist comment. :dunno:
    Why is that? Is being black suppose to defend a ugly person from being ugly?
    :)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are pretty and ugly people in every ethnic group in the world... but when someone just points out that "EVERYONE" in ONE Particular group is ugly, and "EVERYONE" in ONE Particular group is beautiful, then that IS racist.
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@AnaisKarim
    You gave an excellent response!
    Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AnaisKarim@Dec 11 2004, 11:11 AM

ETA: I also feel there are issues of insecurity at work if you even feel the need to sit up and call someone ugly and have a conversation about it. Everyone is ugly to someone and it's all just superficial BS anyway. There are much more important issues to discuss in this world than how someone else looks - especially if your comments are negative. :2cents:
    [snapback]641438[/snapback]
    ITA. Instead of wondering whether it's okay to call this person ugly, the more interesting issue to me is what is it that compels and motivates you to want to call anyone ugly?
    ~ Last re.laxer 7.99 ~ Chop 7.00 ~ Locs 2.03 ~

[B]"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne[/B]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it has more .... sensitivity among Blacks than other races. because ALL our 'traditional African features' have been defined as ugly. So when someone calls a dark-skinned person ugly, the back of your mind may be going "Is he saying this just because he thinks dark skinned people are ugly?" or "Is he saying this because he thinks broad noses are ugly?" What makes this person ugly becomes a question. Whereas saying Sarah Jessica Parker is ugly just doesn't have any racial undertones to it.

vinny_46 Guest

Originally posted by CatSuga@Dec 11 2004, 10:28 AM
    white guy who I was sitting with said that he felt the same way, but would dare not say it because people might think that it would be a racist comment. :dunno:
    Why is that? Is being black suppose to defend a ugly person from being ugly?
    [snapback]641386[/snapback]
    :lol: @ the thread title.

We all know that there are plenty of ugly people, and they come in all colors. But I can definitely understand the stigma and possible backlash if someone of a different race, especially white, because of our history, calls a black person ugly. Maybe he is a little too cautious, I don't know.

IA with Shanna. :smil3f72836ee752e:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by AnaisKarim@Dec 11 2004, 01:11 PM
    If you think they are ugly because they have skin color, nose shape, lip shape etc that have traditionally been denegrated in this society then there are other issues at work besides just lack of preference for how they look.
    Well it's not because of that. I'm darker than this person and my lips and nose are waaaay bigger.
    They are just ugly. :dunno:
    :)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by CatSuga@Dec 12 2004, 02:57 AM
    Well it's not because of that. I'm darker than this person and my lips and nose are waaaay bigger.
    They are just ugly. :dunno:
    [snapback]642050[/snapback]

@CatSuga
    If you are fat, you can lose weight. If your hair is short, you can let it grow out. If you are ugly, you can’t do anything about it. People are just trying to “make it” and work with what they have. You may be a pretty person, but then your kids can be dog ugly. You may want to stop judging people, after all you are not a judge in a beauty contest.

“She who calls one ugly is really ugly herself.”
    Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA with AnaisKarim.

Besides beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol...ummm...i rarely call people ugly, and when i do its usually not even based on appearance

sounds like ur tv buddy was just being honest but was truly concerned about how his comments would be taken...but thats what happens when people of a certain race/ethnicity are told when they are ugly just b/c of what they are....

and yeah...beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

it has to be...b/c i&#39;ve actually been called ugly before <_<

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast