Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I met a woman with beautiful shoulder length locs; her hair was so healthy and velvety looking. Well it just turned really cold here and Chicago and my hair immediately dried out. So I had to ask her what she used to keep her hair so “healthy” looking.

Well it turns out she was a locitian and said most people try to combat dryness with products or oils. She said that most loc wearers don’t rinse their hair well enough, which cause product build up in the loc and on the scalp, and the loc it self isn’t able to get the moisture from cold dry air.

Long story short, she said that she recommends that her clients rinse their hair for a minimum of 3 min. for the 1 inch of growth and 1 additional min for each additional inch of loc. Her hair was 14 in aprox. And she said that she just let the water run through her hair for 15- 20 min. Wow!

My hair is about 4-5 inches long so I should rinse for 6-7 min, drip dry catch with a towel and oil.

And you guessed it, it works my hair doesn’t feel dry. I had to use an egg timer so I would stay in the shower long enough, and trust me it seems like a long time, but my hair seems to really like it.

Have you ever heard of this? My scalp and my locs seem to be producing natural oils and feeling wonderful (not tight and dry.)

A friend of mine who has locs said that would make your locs become water logged and cause them to mildew, but another friend says that she has heard of prolonged rinsing for healthy locs, she is just to lazy to do it.

Okay my loced sistas whatcha think? ~W
    GET INSPI(RED)

You gotta be grateful you need haters
    What are you complaining about
    What do you think a haters job is
    To hate
    So let them do their job ~ Katt Williams

SO BE IT ~W

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, this is very interesting. I would love to try it but I'm scared of mildew (which one of my friends has in her 7+ year locs).

I'd love to hear from others who have tried it or know someone who has. My hair is extremely dry and this paris cold isn't making it any better, so maybe this is a solution to the problem.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rinse my hair sometimes every other day and at least twice a week, in addition to shampooing once a week, however I've only been locing for four months. It definitely helps my hair. Usually after the second day, it starts to feel kind of dry and rinsing is the only thing that will REALLY remoisturize and revitalize it. I don't usually follow up with any product (including no oils) other than my water spritz with lavendar, rosemary and ylang ylang e.o.'s. If you do this in the morning (before work/school) and leave your locs down to fully dry (not laying down to take a nap or anything lol), I can't foresee a problem with mildew. I don't see myself changing this routine even once I'm maturely loced.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great topic...

naturalkinks when did you start washing and rinsing your hair? The general concensus is that a newbie should wait at least 3 to four weeks before a wash.

To moisturize my hair I spritz with a combo of distilled water and rosemary eo. I also massage my scalp and hair daily to get the natural oils I produce on my scalp to my hair.

I would love to get my hair soaking wet...can I do that at this stage...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently started spritzing my hair heavily everyday with water, eo and a small amount of oil. My hair is soft and moisturized. The ends are really soft after wetting during my daily shower. So, I think I will try out this rinsing thing.

I could not spritz my locs until they were 8 mos. I visited the shore and the humidity/saltwater really tightened up my locs. Prior to that time my locs would completely frizz up and unravel. It was a mess.

Going to try this when I get home. I absolutely love wetting my hair.
    7 year locs, relaxing and enjoying life

album pw: gummy

KRE8TIV is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by sharynleigh@Dec 15 2004, 08:58 AM
    tightened up my locs.
    [snapback]645180[/snapback]

I see this in alot of posts...what exactly does this mean :dunno:
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@kre8tiv

This means more compact with less unravelling.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@whzdm - I have been rinsing since the beginning. At least every two days. You can rinse whenever you desire in your journey. The issue is unraveling but my hair didn't unravel at all and judging by your hair texture from your pics, you should be fine. If they unravel at the ends just simply twist them back up. Eventually this will stop altogether as you are on your way to locdom! :P

ETA: My hair did unravel for about the first inch or two but it just coiled up and this is fine. So it's like I have braids with coils on the ends.

@sharynleigh - Doesn't the rinsing feel good? I usually rinse in the tub and then jump up to take a shower. I need the tub because there is more pressure and I massage better. Not to mention you feel so refreshed!

@KRE8TIV - Tightened up locs could also mean latchhooking depending on the nature of your question.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ natural kinks - Yes girl!! It feels wonderful. I use a Pollenex shower massage and it works!!!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a period of not rinsing, I've gone back to daily rinsing. My big thing is that I have to use a regular towel (I think my Aquis towel is dying on me; it's just not doing the job anymore) to make sure my hair is mostly dry.

Even though my instinct at this time of year is to use heavier oils, I don't think that's going to work: yesterday I rubbed some straight olive oil through my locs and they ended up drying a little stiff (as in, standing out from the sides).

Okay, I just had a weird moment: Once again I find myself doing the complete opposite of what I did before I started locking. Prior to locs, shea butter was my best friend at this time of year. And my growth spurt usually occurred in the summer, unlike right now (in fact I need to be latching instead of typing on this computer).

Sorry for the detour...to the original question...I'm guessing my locs are somewhere around 6", so I'd have to rinse for 8 minutes. Uh...nope...not gonna happen...I'm doing just fine with my little 1 minute rinse, thanks.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast